Search

Best Chicken Rice---NOT in hawker centre

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:32 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by eagle215
I hope people in Singapore don't take these hawker centers for granted and continue to support them...even if they raise prices, which I believe the hawkers should.
Why should they raise the prices? Singaporeans are not wealthy by and large and the Hawker Centers serve the purpose of providing quality nourishment without the need to steam up their small apartments. Raising prices would be a detriment to Singaporeans.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE. AF-Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Why should they raise the prices? Singaporeans are not wealthy by and large and the Hawker Centers serve the purpose of providing quality nourishment without the need to steam up their small apartments. Raising prices would be a detriment to Singaporeans.
Because they deserve a decent living wage for their hard work. In case you haven't noticed, they have been raising prices.

These hawker centers will eventually die off because the next generation will not be willing to do the work that they do for the return that they get. You can see it already, some stalls are closing permanently once the person retires. Closure of popular stalls in hawker centers is a greater determent to Singaporeans and their culture.

Last edited by Eagle2000; Aug 19, 2019 at 11:16 pm
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:15 pm

Because they deserve a decent living wage for their hard work. In case you haven't noticed, they have been raising prices.

These hawker centers will eventually die off because the next generation will not be willing to do the work that they do for the return that they get. You can see it already, some stalls are closing permanently once the person retires.
How are we ascertaining that they aren't making a decent living wage? If they weren't, they wouldn't be keeping the businesses open.

There is actually a resurgence among the younger generation. Here is an article and a tour that focus on that aspect.

https://thepeakmagazine.com.sg/next-...ingapore-food/

https://www.woknstroll.com.sg/produc...ker-food-tour/
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Why waste two meals on Chicken Rice when you can have other foods? If you are here for a week or two, sure, try them both.
Some food is not designed for individual consumption. For example, chilli crab from Clarke Quay.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:15 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by garykung
Some food is not designed for individual consumption. For example, chilli crab from Clarke Quay.
Clark Quay would be the last place where I would go to eat out.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 1:32 am

Singaporeans are not wealthy
Yes and no.Gini coefficient for Singapore is one of the highest in the developed world, HK has higher Gini, which is no surprise.

Most Singaporeans are not wealthy, it can be easily confirmed when checked what salaries are offered in the service sector. Yet, according to newspaper articles, 17% of Singaporeans - one in every six - are millionaires however from some newer articles, it is close to 10%.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Why waste two meals on Chicken Rice when you can have other foods? If you are here for a week or two, sure, try them both.
I'm not saying I can't have other foods. Btw, I can really eat and before you assume, I'm chubby, I'm not. I'm quite fit and athletic. Besides, I don't see my upcoming trip to Singapore as the last. So if I miss out on something, there's always next year.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Yes and no.Gini coefficient for Singapore is one of the highest in the developed world, HK has higher Gini, which is no surprise.

Most Singaporeans are not wealthy, it can be easily confirmed when checked what salaries are offered in the service sector. Yet, according to newspaper articles, 17% of Singaporeans - one in every six - are millionaires however from some newer articles, it is close to 10%.
Right. I said “Singaporeans are not wealthy by and large”.

Originally Posted by lsquare
I'm not saying I can't have other foods. Btw, I can really eat and before you assume, I'm chubby, I'm not. I'm quite fit and athletic. Besides, I don't see my upcoming trip to Singapore as the last. So if I miss out on something, there's always next year.
I was inferring that Chicken Rice isn’t, IMO, something so special as to warrant trying multiple places.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG

Right. I said “Singaporeans are not wealthy by and large”.

I was inferring that Chicken Rice isn’t, IMO, something so special as to warrant trying multiple places.
I think it is special because I haven't had any good ones in North America. The best I've had is in Singapore. I love it!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 7:14 am
Original Poster

How are we ascertaining that they aren't making a decent living wage? If they weren't, they wouldn't be keeping the businesses open.

There is actually a resurgence among the younger generation. Here is an article and a tour that focus on that aspect.

https://thepeakmagazine.com.sg/next-...ingapore-food/

https://www.woknstroll.com.sg/produc...ker-food-tour/
https://www.quora.com/Why-are-there-...d-time-walking

I have chatted with a lot of the Uncles and Aunties that run AND work for the hawker centers, have you?... their cost of food and rents has increased significantly that has cut into their slim profits. Yet they are unable to increase their prices to what they feel is right for the fear people won't patronize them anymore. Some that do well are fine but long hours of standing and non-stop work. Maybe the owners and workers are ALL lying about how hard the work is and how little they make...

Perhaps I am more sympathetic,unlike others, to people that work hard to provide the necessities for life. We are 6 meals away from societal chaos. Food is important but it seems to me people look down and don't appreciate people in the food industry.

Last edited by Eagle2000; Aug 20, 2019 at 7:23 am
Old Aug 20, 2019, 8:33 am

We are 6 meals away from societal chaos.
Explain please.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Explain please.
Imagine if there was NO food for 2 days (6 meals, 4 for some), society would break down. Not saying that would happen if there were no hawker centers but just placing the importance of food services that people under value.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:07 am

<a href="https://www.quora.com/Why-are-there-so-many-old-people-working-in-hawker-centers-in-Singapore-I-noticed-some-old-people-cleaning-tables-who-are-having-a-hard-time-walking">https://www.quora.com/Why-are-there-so-many-old-people-working-in-hawker-centers-in-Singapore-I-noticed-some-old-people-cleaning-tables-who-are-having-a-hard-time-walking</a><br /><br />I have chatted with a lot of the Uncles and Aunties that run AND work for the hawker centers, have you?... their cost of food and rents has increased significantly that has cut into their slim profits. Yet they are unable to increase their prices to what they feel is right for the fear people won't patronize them anymore. Some that do well are fine but long hours of standing and non-stop work. Maybe the owners and workers are ALL lying about how hard the work is and how little they make...<br /><br />Perhaps I am more sympathetic,unlike others, to people that work hard to provide the necessities for life. We are 6 meals away from societal chaos. Food is important but it seems to me people look down and don't appreciate people in the food industry.
<br /><br />I have worked in summer camp kitchens and managed a restaurant in Jerusalem for a number of years. I appreciate the hard work and am the last person to look down on anyone working in food services, whether cooking, washing dishes or clearing tables. You are right that people wouldn't patronize them anymore and thus they can't raise prices. I don't think any of them are lying about how hard the work is or how little they make. I'm saying that they shouldn't raise prices as they wouldn't be earning what they are earning now. They would be worse off.<br />
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond
I have had it only once and it was in a restaurant in a mall in Marina Square.

I have a question and forgive my ignorance, but is it supposed to be served warm or room temperature? I think my surprise was that the dish wasn't hot, but I was unsure if that was how it was to be served. I found it underwhelming at any rate.

I did enjoy other food at several hawker centers and an amazing Pernankan meal at a mall near the stadium, but I had heard so much about the chicken rice and wasn't sure whether I had a mediocre experience or that is how it is supposed to be served.

Is it supposed to be cold/lukewarm?
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

HRC Beijing featured the best I've ever had.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.