Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Conrad Centennial vs Andaz - Which one is better?

Old Jun 7, 19, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, CX Silver, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum (VA lounge access)

I have a 3-night stopover in Singapore on the way to Hong Kong this Christmas, and I'm locked in to those two: Andaz or Conrad.
Both are excellent (at least based on reviews), have similar price tag, as well as max. 3 min walk to closest MRT station. Now is the question, which one is more recommended? Thanks very much.
(ps: I have both Hyatt Explorist and Hilton Gold status)
Old Jun 8, 19, 12:27 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), SPG (Gold), MR (Gold)
I’d take the Andaz as it’s a much newer property and I much prefer the location.
Old Jun 8, 19, 12:29 am

Andaz is in a much better central location near Bugis.
Bugis area is more interesting than the Conrad location and easier to get around.

Andaz also seems to have a nice outdoor pool.

stayed at Conrad before n the breakfast n lounge are very good.
however u are in singapore and the local hawker style food would probably be more interesting than regular hotel breakfast.

i would vote for andaz.
Old Jun 8, 19, 2:33 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Have not stayed at Andaz but agree the location is better. Have stayed at Conrad and it is one of the better ones in the world, good rooms and lounge (which has much longer hours than most Singapore hotels do for their evening drink service). Cant go wrong with either one, though I personally prefer the Fullerton.
Old Jun 8, 19, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF Platinum, CX Silver, A3 Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum (VA lounge access)
Originally Posted by HawaiiO View Post
Andaz is in a much better central location near Bugis.
Bugis area is more interesting than the Conrad location and easier to get around.

Andaz also seems to have a nice outdoor pool.

stayed at Conrad before n the breakfast n lounge are very good.
however u are in singapore and the local hawker style food would probably be more interesting than regular hotel breakfast.

i would vote for andaz.
Thanks for this suggestion, HawaiiO. I admit it's pretty hard to choose between two, but your suggestion is actually quite helpful.
Location wise, Conrad isn't that bad (have stayed there before). Depends on whether which part of city you think are more interested though - Downtown Core or Kampong Glam.

Last edited by antebellum; Jun 8, 19 at 9:04 am
Old Jun 8, 19, 11:07 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Stayed at the Conrad Centennial two months ago...very good overall (two executive lounges, pool, good buffet/menu at Oscar's, attentive service overall-save for the doormen and breakfast waitstaff). It's right by a couple of malls (not a shocker in Singapore), but in the vicinity there's not much tourist spot-wise. Then again, you're never too long a car ride away from somewhere.

Can't comment on the Andaz, save for it being near Arab Street, a burgeoning start-up area.
Old Jun 9, 19, 7:53 pm

Agreed with most of these - Andaz is far newer so I would go there.
Old Jun 10, 19, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
Agreed with most of these - Andaz is far newer so I would go there.
Explorists don't get free breakfasts. Thats a big minus.
Old Aug 30, 19, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by antebellum View Post
Explorists don't get free breakfasts. Thats a big minus.
Except you are in Singapore, where you can get Michelen star-worthy food in a food court a few blocks away for a few SGD's. It may be a bit inconvenient for a business traveler who is a frequent visitor to SIN, but definitely not a big factor for a leisure traveler.

The infinity pool in the Andaz is pretty fantastic, overlooking the Bugis, the esplanade and the bay. The rooms are very modern and comfortable, as would be expected for a fairly new Andaz. I also enjoyed the rooftop bar quite a bit in the evening. It wraps around the entire roof, so you get a panoramic view of the whole city. The location is also very good, on top of the Bugis MRT and close to dining and shopping. SG Andaz is not a great hotel for Hyatt status recognition, but that is the only complaint I ever see about it. The Conrad is very isolated and a bit outdated.
Old Aug 30, 19, 3:12 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Conrad, for tourism, is really close to nothing except maybe the overrated Makansutra foreigner hawker centre. Andaz is reasonably close to Arab Street, Little India, and Colonial District.

Personally I'd stay at HGI in Little India, though and skip any meals in the hotel.
Old Aug 30, 19, 11:55 pm

I have a 3-night stopover in Singapore on the way to Hong Kong this Christmas, and I'm locked in to those two: Andaz or Conrad.
Both are excellent (at least based on reviews), have similar price tag, as well as max. 3 min walk to closest MRT station. Now is the question, which one is more recommended? Thanks very much.
(ps: I have both Hyatt Explorist and Hilton Gold status)
Have you booked or are you still debating with hotel to stay at?

I've heard that with the troubles in HK a lot of business events are being moved (last minute) to Singapore so rates have been going up. I should add this is purely from what people have told me. I don't track prices actively in Singapore.
Old Aug 31, 19, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I stayed at the Conrad at then end of July and enjoyed it. I had a room overlooking the marina ( with a view of the Merlion and Fullerton hotel). There is a MRT close by and it was a short walk to the Singapore Flyer and the marina, the helix bridge to the marina bay sands and gardens by the bay. Some routes ( ie from the esplanade theatre is a little confusing at first due to the number of shopping malls)

The Andaz was close to Arab Street and Raffles hotel and looked very modern.

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
Have you booked or are you still debating with hotel to stay at?

I've heard that with the troubles in HK a lot of business events are being moved (last minute) to Singapore so rates have been going up. I should add this is purely from what people have told me. I don't track prices actively in Singapore.
Well, I've booked in Conrad already. Surprisingly theres another Hilton promotion (double points) during my stay.
Thanks very much for asking.
Old Aug 31, 19, 11:53 pm

Well, I've booked in Conrad already. Surprisingly theres another Hilton promotion (double points) during my stay.
Thanks very much for asking.
While I recommended the Andaz previously in this thread, I would say that I enjoyed my two stays at the Conrad.

Search this Thread