FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Bizarre problems with the passport control at Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1967551-bizarre-problems-passport-control-singapore.html)

fairhsa Apr 30, 2019 12:46 am

Bizarre problems with the passport control at Singapore

Wondering if anyone else has come up against this.

Been through Singapore several times in the last two weeks - and EVERY TIME (on both exit and entry) their fingerprint (make that, thumb print) reader has failed to either record (or then on exit read) my thumb prints.

It's meant I have ended up taking about 20 mins waiting on both entry and exit while they fiddle around with their machine and keep asking me to "try again".

Hong Kong has no problem with my thumb, which has been letting me in and out for 12 years now with only one machine failure in that whole time...

so what gives? Anyone else experiencing this?

Wong Jnr May 1, 2019 7:54 pm

Nope, never had any issues in the numerous times I go in and out at various terminals.

Could it possibly be the first time your thumbprint was recorded it wasn't actually that representative, so subsequent times it flags as an error.
Did they try and make a new reference thumbprint?

MSPeconomist May 1, 2019 7:57 pm

A trick to try with fingerprint readers is to wipe your fingers on your forehead before using the machine. Sometimes the lack of oils on your fingers causes problems, especially if you've washed your hands recently. This tends to work beautifully with the GE machines and also with CLEAR readers, including those for admission to DL airport lounges.

SQTraveller May 6, 2019 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by fairhsa (Post 31051268)
Wondering if anyone else has come up against this.

Been through Singapore several times in the last two weeks - and EVERY TIME (on both exit and entry) their fingerprint (make that, thumb print) reader has failed to either record (or then on exit read) my thumb prints.

It's meant I have ended up taking about 20 mins waiting on both entry and exit while they fiddle around with their machine and keep asking me to "try again".

Hong Kong has no problem with my thumb, which has been letting me in and out for 12 years now with only one machine failure in that whole time...

so what gives? Anyone else experiencing this?

Not the first time I've heard of this issue.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31058208)
A trick to try with fingerprint readers is to wipe your fingers on your forehead before using the machine. Sometimes the lack of oils on your fingers causes problems, especially if you've washed your hands recently. This tends to work beautifully with the GE machines and also with CLEAR readers, including those for admission to DL airport lounges.

Interesting ... I do the total opposite. I wipe my thumb first ... but maybe I am already greased up!

BuildingMyBento May 7, 2019 9:54 am

Stupider thing about SIN immigration; getting stamped (and fingerprinted, whatev) on arrival, but (as of late) not on departure. They make you scan your fingerprint and go through an e-channel instead. I hate to say it but, here's an extremely rare +1 for US departure formalities...from a USC standpoint.

Though, the current Singapore way still isn't as bad as those pointless chits Hong Kong and the RoK give now.

SQTraveller May 8, 2019 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento (Post 31076089)
Stupider thing about SIN immigration; getting stamped (and fingerprinted, whatev) on arrival, but (as of late) not on departure. They make you scan your fingerprint and go through an e-channel instead. I hate to say it but, here's an extremely rare +1 for US departure formalities...from a USC standpoint.

Though, the current Singapore way still isn't as bad as those pointless chits Hong Kong and the RoK give now.

I still prefer the SIN departure immigration to the US. The problem for SIN, is they set the bar when it comes to a lot of airport features (in my view) and so when things don't quite work as efficiently as we would want, it makes us mad LOL

I flew from JFK last year and if I hadn't got a business ticket, I would have been stuck using the massive massive queue. I still had to queue for a bit, but because I had set my expectations so low, I was happy to only be waiting 20 minutes.

I recently flew out of Changi and had to queue behind two people at the (dreaded) e-gates and must have waited 2-3 minutes for them, and I was frustrated LOL

Savage25 May 12, 2019 12:13 am

My experience the last few weeks at T2 and T3 is that the fingerprint scanners have been taking much longer than usual. Was fine upto about 1st week of March.