Search

Best Indian food in Singapore?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Best Indian food in Singapore?

The hawker stalls get lots of play and for good reason, but what are you favorite Indian places in Singapore? What region of India does the cuisine reflect, and is it better suited to lunch or dinner. Looking to DIVERSIFY on my next swing through town.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
If you like idle/dosa or have never tried it before — you must stop at Murugun Idli shop. People say it is breakfast item but I think it is more of a light snack that be had all day long.. with a variety of chutneys.

Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:26 am

For something a bit fancier (but not too fancy) my favourite is Shahi Maharani at Raffles City shopping mall. For something more casual I love Tandoori Corner on Boon Tat St. Enjoy!
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
MTR. It didn’t get its TripAdvisor rating by accident.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
The hawker stalls get lots of play and for good reason, but what are you favorite Indian places in Singapore? What region of India does the cuisine reflect, and is it better suited to lunch or dinner. Looking to DIVERSIFY on my next swing through town.
You are referring to Indian and hawker food, which I don't really think a lot of. I find the curries very watery; like they're trying to save money.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
You are referring to Indian and hawker food, which I don't really think a lot of. I find the curries very watery; like they're trying to save money.
I am also open to proper sit down Indian.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I am also open to proper sit down Indian.
Well .. the "best" indian is supposed to be Song of India (michelin star). But of course, that's a very different price range.

But I have enjoyed a week day meal in in the CBD at Jaggi’s Northern Indian Cuisine - it's a old office block called Shenton House. When I get the opportunity I go there.
The food is good. It's not crazy expensive. And it's air conditioned
Old Apr 14, 2019, 9:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Well .. the "best" indian is supposed to be Song of India (michelin star). But of course, that's a very different price range.

But I have enjoyed a week day meal in in the CBD at Jaggi’s Northern Indian Cuisine - it's a old office block called Shenton House. When I get the opportunity I go there.
The food is good. It's not crazy expensive. And it's air conditioned
Thx
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Well .. the "best" indian is supposed to be Song of India (michelin star).
I would purposely avoid to visit a place which has whatever star. Local hawker stall case which was awarded such star is a good example.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:01 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I've only tried 2 sit-down Indian restaurants in Singapore so not a representative sample but they were highly recommended by locals who are generally restaurant savvy, and I found both disappointing compared to KL. In KL better Indian food for half the price. I suppose real estate cost is a big factor.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by number_6
I've only tried 2 sit-down Indian restaurants in Singapore so not a representative sample but they were highly recommended by locals who are generally restaurant savvy, and I found both disappointing compared to KL. In KL better Indian food for half the price. I suppose real estate cost is a big factor.
I don't know if real estate is as big a factor as self promotion. invisible alludes to this, but what most people don't realise about the hawker michelin stars, is that Michelin is actually partnered by the Singapore Tourism Board - the people trying to promote Singapore.

Singaporeans will always tell you their food is the best..... I would choose Penang hawker food over Singaporean any day - Indian food is also better there!
tentseller likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
I don't know if real estate is as big a factor as self promotion. invisible alludes to this, but what most people don't realise about the hawker michelin stars, is that Michelin is actually partnered by the Singapore Tourism Board - the people trying to promote Singapore.
The Singapore Michelin Guide is a joke IMO. It's a marketing ploy. A majority of the restaurants and definitely not the hawker stalls would even make it close to a respected Michelin Guide from an establish city.

Singaporeans will always tell you their food is the best..... I would choose Penang hawker food over Singaporean any day - Indian food is also better there!
I've yet to find any really decent/authentic cuisine here, apart from Japanese. It's all too much of a throw together of cuisines, which isn't Singapore's fault per se, as it in itself is a mixture/blend of cultures and that is reflected in it's cuisine.

Even normal European cuisines restaurants e.g french or italian will try to mix it up.... leave it alone, it's taken hundreds if years to get where it has. Don't ruin a good thing!
tentseller likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Wong Jnr
The Singapore Michelin Guide is a joke IMO. It's a marketing ploy. A majority of the restaurants and definitely not the hawker stalls would even make it close to a respected Michelin Guide from an establish city.

I've yet to find any really decent/authentic cuisine here, apart from Japanese. It's all too much of a throw together of cuisines, which isn't Singapore's fault per se, as it in itself is a mixture/blend of cultures and that is reflected in it's cuisine.

Even normal European cuisines restaurants e.g french or italian will try to mix it up.... leave it alone, it's taken hundreds if years to get where it has. Don't ruin a good thing!
At least I'm not the only one who thinks this.

Thanks for confirming!
tentseller likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Mutha Curry - especially for fish head curry.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:37 am

SQTraveller mentioned Jaggi's and I have to agree that the food there is fantastic. I particularly enjoyed their butter chicken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.