Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Best plan for hotel in Johor Bahru late arrival Changi

Old Apr 12, 19, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Hi,

My wife and I bit the bullet and are making our first international trip because we ran into a good deal for flights and hotel to Singapore. It turns out the hotel is in Johor Bahru (Doubletree Hilton), which is apparently not in Singapore.

Our flight will be arriving at Changi at 11:45pm. From what I've been able to gather I have public transit, Malaysian taxi, or private car.

Which one of those options make the best sense considering the extra time it will take to pass through immigration?

Alternatively, do we hang out at the airport until daylight hours? Spend time at the transit hotel? Late night is not really my ideal time period to be entering a foreign city for the first time.

Or, should I explore other hotel options in Singapore itself? I honestly don't know if the hotel will be inconvenient for generally moving around because of border issues. I am definitely able to change hotel accommodations, if needed. I think I just jumped on the price a little faster than I should have without a bit more due diligence.
Old Apr 12, 19, 2:57 am

Programs: BA, SQ
Not a good idea staying in JB if you've actually come to visit Singapore.
As you say you'll have to spend plenty of time crossing the boarder everyday, each way.
Also depends on where you're from to which visa you'll have and "if" you'll be allowed multiple entries into Singapore or Malaysia.

I would find a hotel actually in Singapore.
Old Apr 12, 19, 5:16 am

This is a really bad idea. Johor Baru, at least the area around the border crossing, is a dump. And getting to and from the border and dealing with crossing formalities can be exasperating: depending on time of day there can be enormous waits for the public buses in crowded fetid conditions.

You do not want to do this.
Old Apr 12, 19, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Thank you for the input, I will investigate accommodations in Singapore!
Old Apr 14, 19, 9:22 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Originally Posted by rmangaha View Post
It turns out the hotel is in Johor Bahru (Doubletree Hilton), which is apparently not in Singapore.
Plain and simply - don't
I am definitely able to change hotel accommodations, if needed.
Do it. There are plenty of threads about hotels in Singapore and and it is generally accepted that for USD $150 you should be able to get a decent hotel.
Another warning if above sounds too expensive - don't try AirBnB. It is made illegal here and there could be serious consequences not only for hosts, but guests as well.
Old Apr 14, 19, 5:21 pm

I agree with everyone else here don't do it.

Notwithstanding safety issues, the border crossing itself can be a nightmare - processing times can be very long.

If you're willing to pay for a taxi, you might as well stay in a decent location in Singapore.
I can recommend the Four Points by Sheraton. It's one of the cheaper options out there but it's also a bit of a walk to the MRT (you can take a bus or taxi)
The other, slightly more expensive, but very conveniently located option is the courtyard.
Old Apr 14, 19, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL PM
Thank you for the input, I will investigate accommodations in Singapore!
Good idea. Your original plan is similar to spending several days visiting Chicago (SIN) while staying every night in a hotel in Milwaukee (Johor Bahru).
Old Apr 14, 19, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
Good idea. Your original plan is similar to spending several days visiting Chicago (SIN) while staying every night in a hotel in Milwaukee (Johor Bahru).
Do you have border crossing between Milwaukee and Chicago nowadays?
tentseller likes this.
Old Apr 14, 19, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Do you have border crossing between Milwaukee and Chicago nowadays?
My point was the time it would take...
Old Apr 15, 19, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
My point was the time it would take...
No disagreement here. Personal time record clearing both Woodlands and CIQ and taking bus to cross the causeway is 15 minutes but it was on midnight from Monday to Tuesday. On other hand, I was stuck in bus for 1h and 1.5h more on Malaysian side for immigration on Saturday during three days weekend...

So, no - no staying in Johor if purpose of visit is Singapore.
Old Apr 15, 19, 3:02 am

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
There are cheaper hotels if you stay in an area like Geylang - if price is a consideration. Lots of wonderful food options and public transport in Singapore is cheapish and easy,
Old Apr 15, 19, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by estnet View Post
There are cheaper hotels if you stay in an area like Geylang - if price is a consideration.
Ahem, you should tell too that these hotels usually do not have windows and number of them can be rented by hours. Kinda implies the purpose...
Old Apr 15, 19, 4:35 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Ahem, you should tell too that these hotels usually do not have windows and number of them can be rented by hours. Kinda implies the purpose...
Yes, but I assumed that a web search would disclose this.
Having said this - as a single female I've stayed in some of the Fragrance and 81 hotels and they are clean (if a bit basic) and some of them even advertise tours for families and have family rates. Of course this was a few years ago, but I never felt unsafe - but not all of them are the same for sure. I'm pretty sure the ones I stayed in didn't have hourly rates - but lots do.
Old Apr 15, 19, 9:10 pm

I think there is a consensus here that pretty much all hotels in Singapore are safe for travellers.

It is that the concept that hotel room does not have windows might be something unimaginable for people coming from US.
Old Apr 29, 19, 8:00 pm

Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
We did this very journey not very long ago. It worked for us as we were then travelling by rd the next day onto Malacca.

Due to some flight changes - KLM cancelled our 2130 flight from DPS to SIN and put us on SQ which was delayed so we lobbed into Changi at 0100. While we had a driver booked , who was expecting us at Terminal 1, I updated via email but when we landed and cleared at Terminal 3 there was no driver, so we jumped into a taxi.

Now a Singapore taxi cannot take you across the border so the process is this. Get a taxi to the Queen st Taxi Depot - where you transfer to a car for the border crossing. We paid $25 or so SIN $ for the taxi ride then $38 SIN for the ride across the border.

Its very easy - you stay in the car - you hand your passports to the driver with your arrival card - at the border post the border guard - checks you by shining a light on you - with the window open, your passports are then returned to you - you next stop is Malaysian customs where you are asked a couple of questions and then you are in Malaysia.

We landed at 0100 and we were in our room at the Doubletree by Hilton at 0230 am.

I would not choose to stay in JB if Singapore is your destination - but if you want to be in JB or are doing onward travel in Malaysia its a great option.

We chose the DT because of the points - which were very low - and we thought the border crossing would be faster in the early morning that on a Sunday morning - and that was how it was.

Search this Thread