Wiki Posts
Search

Intercontinental Middle Rd vs Swissotel Stamford

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Intercontinental Middle Rd vs Swissotel Stamford

My OH's 40th birthday and would like nice room, reasonably central with good lounge access.

Unfortunately budget doedn't stretch as far as Ritz Carlton so managed to narrow it down to two options: Intercontinental Premier Suite or Swissôtel Stamford in new Skyline suite.

Which one is better, especially from the room perspective and lounge offering?

Thank you.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:03 pm

Are you visiting Singapore or are you based there?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:05 pm
Original Poster

Visiting, but have been to Singapore many times over the last 15 years.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:30 pm

Personally I would choose swissotel just because I find it more convenient ... also the view from the bar is supposed to be very nice.
lehovec and clubeurope like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:57 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Swissotel in a suite gets you a private club separate from the regular club, which in past was much nicer than Ritz Carlton, also hotel is recently refurbished in past 2 years. I haven't stayed there since then but should be nicer than Ritz now
lehovec likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6
Swissotel in a suite gets you a private club separate from the regular club, which in past was much nicer than Ritz Carlton, also hotel is recently refurbished in past 2 years. I haven't stayed there since then but should be nicer than Ritz now
I am afraid The Living Room Loungr for suites only has been enhanced away and old executive club shut. There is now only one refurbished lounge on 65th floor called L65.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:26 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by lehovec
I am afraid The Living Room Loungr for suites only has been enhanced away and old executive club shut. There is now only one refurbished lounge on 65th floor called L65.
Thanks for that. Saves me from booking the Stamford again
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:11 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
I like the Premier Suites at the InterContinental. They’re basically 1.5 times the size of standard rooms in an L shape with the bedroom, which has windows (isn’t interior) enclosed by a sliding door if you want. Sitting area isn’t huge but is plenty enough for a couple.

Club Lounge is nicely furnished and the staff are very friendly and attentive. Food offering nice enough. If you’d rather the larger breakfast downstairs at Ash & Elm, you’re welcome to choose that.

IC isn’t directly atop an MRT station but it’s close: Bugis station can be reached through the busy Bugis Junction mall, all indoors if you want.

Never stayed at the Swissotel. Stayed at the Ritz a few times, decided the rate premium wasn’t justified. I settled on the IC as my spot about 10 years ago.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Radisson Rewards Gold, Marriott Platinum
Just stayed in Swissotel signature 50m2 room last week and experience was more good than bad.
Liked -
a) very functional drapes that guaranteed total darkness in the room.
b) just refurbished, everything is new
c) the view from room, 1770.
d) 65th floor lounge with panoramic view (which by the way has separate section for Suite guests)
e) quiet air conditioning (unlike in Conrad few days earlier)

Disliked -
a) big anonymous toiletry cups in bathroom
b) lighting issues in room
c) noise from Fairmont renovation (until August I was told)
d) 65th floor lounge evening canapes quality and choice wasnt that great.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by Richey66
Just stayed in Swissotel signature 50m2 room last week and experience was more good than bad.
Liked -
a) very functional drapes that guaranteed total darkness in the room.
b) just refurbished, everything is new
c) the view from room, 1770.
d) 65th floor lounge with panoramic view (which by the way has separate section for Suite guests)
e) quiet air conditioning (unlike in Conrad few days earlier)

Disliked -
a) big anonymous toiletry cups in bathroom
b) lighting issues in room
c) noise from Fairmont renovation (until August I was told)
d) 65th floor lounge evening canapes quality and choice wasnt that great.
Thanks for the feedback. I have also been thinking about staying there to try it out
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:30 am

IMHO there really is no comparison, Intercontinental in Bugis wins hands down. I practically lived there for a while and absolutely loved it. Especially the club lounge and the shophouse rooms. Also Bugis is much more lively than Raffles City although they are not far apart on the map.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by ajca
IMHO there really is no comparison, Intercontinental in Bugis wins hands down. I practically lived there for a while and absolutely loved it. Especially the club lounge and the shophouse rooms. Also Bugis is much more lively than Raffles City although they are not far apart on the map.
Interesting observations.

Did you also stay at Swissotel?
Old Apr 29, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
I think the IC is in a great location - buses outside - and a short walk thru the mall to Bugis MRT - connects you to Changi and to anywhere else you need to be in Singapore. Great hotel awesome staff and those suites are stunning/
Old Apr 30, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I love the IC - home away from home when in Singapore. It feels a bit more "organic" than some of the more modern areas. Bugis Junction isn't over-the-top big/modern. It's walkable to a lot of places and has little shops/eateries nearby.
Old May 4, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I love the IC - home away from home when in Singapore. It feels a bit more "organic" than some of the more modern areas. Bugis Junction isn't over-the-top big/modern. It's walkable to a lot of places and has little shops/eateries nearby.
Another vote for the IC. But the Bugis, Middle Road, one: not the new one.

Once you get past the reception staff, the places oozes charm. The location is perfect, and I'm happy to give up the views you might find elsewhere. If you are in a club room I think you can avoid the reception staff completely by checking in at the lounge desk, where they will try hard to adjust your allocated accommodation to suit your requirements.

The lounge is delightful, though it can get rammed over the cocktail period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.