FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   T3 to T1 connection times (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1958687-t3-t1-connection-times.html)

thebakaronis Feb 28, 2019 10:02 pm

T3 to T1 connection times

I've been to SIN a dozen times so I should know the answer to this question. But here's my situation:

Arriving on a Garuda flight at T3 at 9am. Then connecting to an Air India Express flight from T1 departing at 10:45am. They're 2 different tickets, and I won't have checked in luggage. Given the terminal change, I'm pretty sure I have to go through immigration, take a shuttle to the new terminal, check in, go through security check, etc. While AI Express doesn't have a great on-time reputation, this particular flight seems to always leave on time since the inbound flight arrives before 6am, giving it ample buffer.

If I'm not mistaken I've done similar transfers before in a similar amount of time. But I thought I'd check to see what the collective wisdom is. Is 1:45 too tight to make it?

paperwastage Mar 1, 2019 10:45 am

T1-T2-T3 are connected physically on the air-side transit zone. Security checks are at the gate for T1-3
T4 is not phyiscally connected to T1-2-3 (there's a airside shuttle bus) and T4 has a centralized security

once you get off plane at T3, you'll be in the transit zone.
don't need to go through immigration/customs, just walk (or take airtrain) towards T1. go through security at the gate and you're done

if everything is on time, it'll be a breeze.
min connect time is 1 hour. on separate tickets, i personally would want more time (and spending time in Changi isn't bad)

map: Changi Airport - Welcome to Singapore Changi Airport

ajeleonard Mar 1, 2019 10:55 am

You stay airside, and go through security again at the gate. You could even walk it

SQTraveller Mar 1, 2019 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by thebakaronis (Post 30834048)
I've been to SIN a dozen times so I should know the answer to this question. But here's my situation:

Arriving on a Garuda flight at T3 at 9am. Then connecting to an Air India Express flight from T1 departing at 10:45am. They're 2 different tickets, and I won't have checked in luggage. Given the terminal change, I'm pretty sure I have to go through immigration, take a shuttle to the new terminal, check in, go through security check, etc. While AI Express doesn't have a great on-time reputation, this particular flight seems to always leave on time since the inbound flight arrives before 6am, giving it ample buffer.

If I'm not mistaken I've done similar transfers before in a similar amount of time. But I thought I'd check to see what the collective wisdom is. Is 1:45 too tight to make it?

As paperwastage correctly states Terminals 1, 2 and 3 are physically connected.

In fact Terminal 1 sits in the middle of 2 and 3 so you can easily walk between 3 and 1 without any issues.

The only question is whether the Garuda flight arrives on time or not. Assuming it does, then 1hr 45 mins is plenty of time

quirrow Mar 2, 2019 1:33 am

1hr and 45 mins is plenty of time to connect in SIN. All terminal 1, 2 and 3 are connected landside and airside and there are convenient SkyTrains between all 3. Garuda flights usually arrive at the end of Terminal 3, so just take the train to the central atrium and take another train that would bring you to Terminal 1. No security or immigration required. Even if you have checked in luggage, you can ask at the transfer desk who will then assign a staff to collect it for you and re-check it for the next flight.

thebakaronis Mar 10, 2019 6:44 am

Thanks, all, for your reassuring responses.

SQTraveller Mar 18, 2019 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by thebakaronis (Post 30868620)
Thanks, all, for your reassuring responses.

How did the trip go for you?

clubeurope Mar 19, 2019 3:58 pm

Also, if the OP hasn't already flown, Changi often does seemingly random but not so random checks on any flight coming from Indonesia, which can take a bit more time.

Funnily, in retaliation, Jakarta started to do the same checks for passengers arriving from Singapore...

SQTraveller Mar 19, 2019 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by clubeurope (Post 30906666)
Also, if the OP hasn't already flown, Changi often does seemingly random but not so random checks on any flight coming from Indonesia, which can take a bit more time.

Funnily, in retaliation, Jakarta started to do the same checks for passengers arriving from Singapore...

Definitely I noticed a higher incidence of additional screening from Bali

vincewy Apr 11, 2019 8:04 am

Also question regarding going to landside. I have similar self connecting scenario, TK54(T1) to TR430(T2) without checked luggage, 2HR10MIN. I know if TK54 isn't delayed and I'm allowed to carry hand luggage then it's no issue.

So, how much additional time would be needed to clear immigration both ways? My transit time is 5:30pm - 7:40pm. I just need to factor in scenario if I'm required to check in my bag.

My passport doesn't require visa into Singapore.

clubeurope Apr 11, 2019 5:08 pm

Hmmmm immigration in terminal 1 can be around 20-25 minutes when a lot of flights come in. But there should virtually be no lines for departure immigration at T2.

I would have suggested using the transit lounges to avoid immigration, but i dont think Scoot is part of that arrangement.

SQTraveller Apr 11, 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by vincewy (Post 30988775)
Also question regarding going to landside. I have similar self connecting scenario, TK54(T1) to TR430(T2) without checked luggage, 2HR10MIN. I know if TK54 isn't delayed and I'm allowed to carry hand luggage then it's no issue.

So, how much additional time would be needed to clear immigration both ways? My transit time is 5:30pm - 7:40pm. I just need to factor in scenario if I'm required to check in my bag.

My passport doesn't require visa into Singapore.

This is one of those, how long is piece of string type of questions. However, I do find that evenings tend to be longer as that's why people typically fly back in from holidays/business. I would give yourself 30mins for inbound immigration. For outbound, if they have taken finger prints at the inbound kiosk, you can use the automated gates, so maximum 10minutes.