FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Transit Hotel versus other hotel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1952015-transit-hotel-versus-other-hotel.html)

dlffla Jan 20, 2019 6:08 am

Transit Hotel versus other hotel

I am flying to Singapore from Cambodia to catch my return flight to the US (Korean Air to Seoul and then Delta). I arrive in the evening and my flight out is at one in the morning 26 hours later. I read about the transit hotels and wonder if that would be a logical choice since I would not have to clear immigration and would be able to get a good night’s sleep and then hang around the airport until my flight leaves. The airport looks interesting enough to do this. I will have spent a few days in Singapore before going to Cambodia so will have seen what I wanted to see in Singapore. Does this idea make sense or would it be better to just clear immigration and stay in a hotel near the airport?

YuropFlyer Jan 20, 2019 6:20 am

For 26 hours, I'd not even think about staying airside (unless your passport doesn't allow entry into Singapore without an (expensive) visa.

You say 26hrs, but "evening arrival" and "morning 26hrs later" - doesn't make sense to me, unless you consider something like a 1am arrival evening and 3am departure morning? Whats the exact schedule?

If you've absolutely no interest in experiencing Singapore again (there is much more to see than what you can in just a few days ;) ) of course you could stay airside, but keep in mind that the transfer hotels charge "by the hour", and staying more there than their "regular sleeping time plans" will be very expensive.

Really depends what your exact schedule will be. With a late evening arrival and early morning departure 2 days later, you could, for example, book a 8hrs airside hotel (cheaper than a "regular" hotel landside), then leave airside, use a hotel in the Expo area (near the airport, often really good hotel deals available there) as your "base" (since that will be another 18hrs or so) and do some other acitvities you might have missed out in Eastern Singapore. Or just enjoy the facilitities nearby. And then, after another proper night's rest, head to the airport early in the morning.

But as said, exact flying times will/would matter on my decisions, too. And what's your budget like.

SQTraveller Jan 20, 2019 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer (Post 30677685)
For 26 hours, I'd not even think about staying airside (unless your passport doesn't allow entry into Singapore without an (expensive) visa.

You say 26hrs, but "evening arrival" and "morning 26hrs later" - doesn't make sense to me, unless you consider something like a 1am arrival evening and 3am departure morning? Whats the exact schedule?

If you've absolutely no interest in experiencing Singapore again (there is much more to see than what you can in just a few days ;) ) of course you could stay airside, but keep in mind that the transfer hotels charge "by the hour", and staying more there than their "regular sleeping time plans" will be very expensive.

Really depends what your exact schedule will be. With a late evening arrival and early morning departure 2 days later, you could, for example, book a 8hrs airside hotel (cheaper than a "regular" hotel landside), then leave airside, use a hotel in the Expo area (near the airport, often really good hotel deals available there) as your "base" (since that will be another 18hrs or so) and do some other acitvities you might have missed out in Eastern Singapore. Or just enjoy the facilitities nearby. And then, after another proper night's rest, head to the airport early in the morning.

But as said, exact flying times will/would matter on my decisions, too. And what's your budget like.

While Changi is a fascinating place, if you have more than 6 hours I would definitely be heading out into town. If you can sleep on a plane, my advice is don't sleep. Go out and enjoy the town and sleep on the flight back.

Alternatively, if you need a place to crash, just choose a cheap hotel somewhere like Chinatown so you just stumble out onto the streets.

dlffla Jan 20, 2019 5:12 pm

My flight departs around 1 AM, almost 26 hours after I arrive. So after turning in after arriving at 10 PM and I’m sure I will be exhausted from Cambodia, say I wake up and am ready to go by 10 AM. That gives me about 13 hours before I check in for my departing flight. I am not going to haul my luggage around so I would have to leave it at the hotel and return for it before going back to the airport. No visa is required for US citizens so I can enter the country. Budget is not an issue. If I leave the airport, I will stay in a good hotel so I guess it’s a matter of finding one near the airport, but even with a Marriott who will automatically give me a 4 PM checkout, I will still have hours to spare before my flight. I thought there was a lot to do at the airport, e.g. movie theatre, exhibits, shopping, etc, Maybe I will try to shift my flight to Singapore to arrive nearer my flight departure time although I hate doing that as there is no stress when you arrive as far in advance as I planned.

tentseller Jan 20, 2019 10:26 pm

Having spent time at the Changi transit hotels (land and airside) is it good for a bit of sleep as sometimes the arrival and departure times do not justify the cost a real hotel room.
In your case, get a real hotel and spend the other awake time experiencing more of the real Singapore.

SQTraveller Jan 21, 2019 2:00 am

Originally Posted by dlffla (Post 30679565)
My flight departs around 1 AM, almost 26 hours after I arrive. So after turning in after arriving at 10 PM and I’m sure I will be exhausted from Cambodia, say I wake up and am ready to go by 10 AM. That gives me about 13 hours before I check in for my departing flight. I am not going to haul my luggage around so I would have to leave it at the hotel and return for it before going back to the airport. No visa is required for US citizens so I can enter the country. Budget is not an issue. If I leave the airport, I will stay in a good hotel so I guess it’s a matter of finding one near the airport, but even with a Marriott who will automatically give me a 4 PM checkout, I will still have hours to spare before my flight. I thought there was a lot to do at the airport, e.g. movie theatre, exhibits, shopping, etc, Maybe I will try to shift my flight to Singapore to arrive nearer my flight departure time although I hate doing that as there is no stress when you arrive as far in advance as I planned.

There are plenty of Marriott (Bonvoy) group hotels in Singapore. If you specifically want to stay at Marriott branded locations - Courtyard by Marriott or JW Marriott are right up your alley.

dlffla Jan 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Let me ask this another way since I have no desire to go into Singapore again and I have changed my flight to arrive at noon and will be checking in for my flight to Korea 11 hours later. I do not want to go into Singapore so there is no reason for me to enter the country. However, I want a room for those 11 hours. I do not know which terminal I will be arriving at. Does it matter which transit hotel you book? What I mean is, if I don’t know which terminal I will be arriving at, can I stay at any transit hotel and het to it without entering the country?

tentseller Jan 21, 2019 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by dlffla (Post 30683509)
Let me ask this another way since I have no desire to go into Singapore again and I have changed my flight to arrive at noon and will be checking in for my flight to Korea 11 hours later. I do not want to go into Singapore so there is no reason for me to enter the country. However, I want a room for those 11 hours. I do not know which terminal I will be arriving at. Does it matter which transit hotel you book? What I mean is, if I don’t know which terminal I will be arriving at, can I stay at any transit hotel and het to it without entering the country?

Yes, all terminal are connected airside.

SQTraveller Jan 21, 2019 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by dlffla (Post 30683509)

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 30683836)

Shouldn't matter as tentseller says you can connect through all terminals on the airside.

Also worth noting that some of the lounges can be comfortable if you are travelling premium cabins and are looking to save cash. Though you won't get the quiet that you would do in a hotel room

paperwastage Jan 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 30683836)

T1-T3 are connected airside (walkable/skytrain). T4 is also connected airside to T2 via bus.

depending on your airlines, you may be able to check bags through at cambodia, or use the changi airside transit desks to arrange for transfer/boarding passes

there are only 3 "true" transit hotels (rates listed)

Airport Attractions - Singapore Changi Airport

the other lounges may offer access and private rooms that you can book:
https://www.loungebuddy.com/SIN

the land-side crowne plaza airport hotel has good reviews, but can be pricey ($200+)

dlffla Feb 13, 2019 6:39 am

Thanks to all who responded.