FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   In transit, arriving Changi 00:50 transit question (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1950095-transit-arriving-changi-00-50-transit-question.html)

quietdesperation Jan 9, 2019 9:21 am

In transit, arriving Changi 00:50 transit question

We are on first leg of jfk->nrt->sin->adl, we arrive Changi terminal 1 on Hal at 00:50, leave for adl at 6:55 on singpapore air, terminal 1

i thought jal had an interline agreement with Singapore air and would check the baggage through to adl but the ticket agent said we needed to clear customs and immigration in Singapore. Our plan was to use the Singapore air lounge in changi until boarding. (We are bus class for all legs).

i’ve read a number of threads about transit and Changi website about using a transfer desk. Wondering if transit desk will be open at 00:50? hoping we don’t have to clear customs and immigration. If we do, will will be able to check in and get to the lounge?

thanks!!

SQTraveller Jan 9, 2019 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by quietdesperation (Post 30632112)
We are on first leg of jfk->nrt->sin->adl, we arrive Changi terminal 1 on Hal at 00:50, leave for adl at 6:55 on singpapore air, terminal 1

i thought jal had an interline agreement with Singapore air and would check the baggage through to adl but the ticket agent said we needed to clear customs and immigration in Singapore. Our plan was to use the Singapore air lounge in changi until boarding. (We are bus class for all legs).

i’ve read a number of threads about transit and Changi website about using a transfer desk. Wondering if transit desk will be open at 00:50? hoping we don’t have to clear customs and immigration. If we do, will will be able to check in and get to the lounge?

thanks!!

Transit desks are generally open if there are flights, but it might be that you have to go to a transit desk in a different terminal.

My opinion (and Changi is probably the only airport in the world I would suggest this) is to go through immigration and customs, which will bring you out at ground level. Then go up one level and check in.

Immigration at that time should be quiet so I would put no more than 15 mins from plane to luggage. Waiting 15 mins for luggage, tops and then take a lift upstairs for check in. This should take a maximum of an hour.

quietdesperation Jan 10, 2019 11:38 am

Originally Posted by SQTraveller (Post 30634723)
Transit desks are generally open if there are flights, but it might be that you have to go to a transit desk in a different terminal.

My opinion (and Changi is probably the only airport in the world I would suggest this) is to go through immigration and customs, which will bring you out at ground level. Then go up one level and check in.

Immigration at that time should be quiet so I would put no more than 15 mins from plane to luggage. Waiting 15 mins for luggage, tops and then take a lift upstairs for check in. This should take a maximum of an hour.

thank you for your help! my OP was incorrect, singapore air leaves from terminal 3. We did some research and learned their check-in counters are closed from 2-5am, given our 00:50 arrival, it was going to be tight to grab luggage, clear customs and immigration and take the skytrain over to terminal 3. We stopped at the JAL transfer desk in terminal 1 (sq doesn't have a transfer desk in terminal 1) and the agent said the SQ transfer desk in terminal 3 would arrange for the luggage transfer. and he was right! the transfer was desk was open (as you surmised), took care of the transfer, printed out boarding passes and we're enjoying the SQ lounge right now!

best,

SQTraveller Jan 10, 2019 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by quietdesperation (Post 30637440)
thank you for your help! my OP was incorrect, singapore air leaves from terminal 3. We did some research and learned their check-in counters are closed from 2-5am, given our 00:50 arrival, it was going to be tight to grab luggage, clear customs and immigration and take the skytrain over to terminal 3. We stopped at the JAL transfer desk in terminal 1 (sq doesn't have a transfer desk in terminal 1) and the agent said the SQ transfer desk in terminal 3 would arrange for the luggage transfer. and he was right! the transfer was desk was open (as you surmised), took care of the transfer, printed out boarding passes and we're enjoying the SQ lounge right now!

best,

That's great news!

Hope you had a safe and enjoyable trip