Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Scanner machines at MRT stations

Old Jan 6, 19, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance

Noticed scanner machines at several MRT stations, particularly at Harborfront.

Seems if you carry anything you will be forced to screen it like it is in China.

Welcome to brave new world....
Old Jan 7, 19, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Noticed scanner machines at several MRT stations, particularly at Harborfront.

Seems if you carry anything you will be forced to screen it like it is in China.

Welcome to brave new world....
Is this new? I've seen this at other stations in my trips through Singapore - though admittedly not in use.

I thought that they were using these as "practice" for if a situation develops where they need to ramp up security.

Interested to know your thoughts
Old Jan 7, 19, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
Is this new? I've seen this at other stations in my trips through Singapore - though admittedly not in use.

I thought that they were using these as "practice" for if a situation develops where they need to ramp up security.

Interested to know your thoughts
Baggage check desks at stations are not new - they've been for a while.

This - x-ray/screening machines is new. Apparently during the testing phase they will be operational at several key/interchange stations, but if I recall ST Times article correctly, idea is that by end of 2020 they need to be and operational at all stations for all passengers.
Old Jan 13, 19, 4:27 pm

Baggage check desks at stations are not new - they've been for a while.

This - x-ray/screening machines is new. Apparently during the testing phase they will be operational at several key/interchange stations, but if I recall ST Times article correctly, idea is that by end of 2020 they need to be and operational at all stations for all passengers.
For all passengers at all times? I thought it was only in times of heightened security. It will be interesting to see how Singapore does this. How will they stop bottle necks?
Old Jan 15, 19, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
For all passengers at all times? I thought it was only in times of heightened security. It will be interesting to see how Singapore does this. How will they stop bottle necks?
In China, if you carry any bag bigger than small lady's purse, you will have to put it thr scanner. I had a bag size of A4 paper with ipad inside in Shanghai and had to put it on scanner all the time.

In Singapore most likely they will start with suitcases first.
Old Jan 15, 19, 4:19 pm

In China, if you carry any bag bigger than small lady's purse, you will have to put it thr scanner. I had a bag size of A4 paper with ipad inside in Shanghai and had to put it on scanner all the time.

Which seems like what they do in Bangkok. Though I've seen people just walk straight by without stopping.

I wonder how they will enforce it!
Old Jan 16, 19, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All you need to do to avoid the scanner in Shanghai, is open the bag to give the guard a cursory glance.

Search this Thread