Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Hotel options on Sentosa Island?

Old Nov 28, 18, 4:18 am
Original Poster

Taking a family trip to Asia, and will be in Singapore for 7 days. Me and my wife have been once before on a short trip, but this time we're visiting with our 3 kids (ages two to six) and grandma. Last time me and my wife stayed at MBS, and we were pretty happy with it, so thinking to do that again (plus my oldest son has a thing for hotel pools, and I can't think of a cooler one than at MBS).

I'm thinking to split our stay at one additional hotel, but having a hard time choosing between another Singapore hotel, or staying at Sentosa Island, for ease of access to the activities there. The general opinion on FT of the Sentosa hotel options seems pretty low, but I'm wondering how bad's the commute and entrance fees if we drive in each day to Sentosa from Singapore (I'm thinking Sentosa might make up 2-3 days of our total trip)? If you were traveling with young children, what would your top pick be?
Old Nov 28, 18, 6:26 am

Programs: Star Alliance
People who stayed at Capella paying $800/night said that they got service like at Days Inn and breakfast buffet had something like 3-4 items. According to them - total waste of money and they can't get over it.
Old Nov 28, 18, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

I ruled out the Capella because it didn't seem very kid friendly... looked like many of the rooms had a very open layout, with stairs or pool right outside, kind of a nightmare when you have two toddlers.

If staying on Sentosa Island, I'd probably lean towards the W, or Sofitel or Shangri La. Maybe there's some other good options I'm missing.
Old Nov 28, 18, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
People who stayed at Capella paying $800/night said that they got service like at Days Inn and breakfast buffet had something like 3-4 items. According to them - total waste of money and they can't get over it.
Originally Posted by jd20 View Post
I ruled out the Capella because it didn't seem very kid friendly... looked like many of the rooms had a very open layout, with stairs or pool right outside, kind of a nightmare when you have two toddlers.

If staying on Sentosa Island, I'd probably lean towards the W, or Sofitel or Shangri La. Maybe there's some other good options I'm missing.
Agree with both these sentiments.

However, I would also add that I would consider staying in town for your whole trip and making a side trip (a whole day or two) to go to Sentosa. It's really isolated and getting a cab out of there to go into the rest of Singapore can be very difficult.
Old Nov 28, 18, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post

However, I would also add that I would consider staying in town for your whole trip and making a side trip (a whole day or two) to go to Sentosa. It's really isolated and getting a cab out of there to go into the rest of Singapore can be very difficult.
Thanks, any recommendation for a hotel as an alternate to MBS? We're traveling in April, I don't think Raffles will be done renovating by then, otherwise that'd be at the top of my list. I have FHR, so the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Shangri La, Fullerton Bay, or RC Millenia all look like decent options, any to avoid in particular when traveling with kids?
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post

I had no problem getting from Sentosa in to downtown.

I like the location of the Shangri La and it would be fun for the kids to do little things by the beach. They'd even like riding on the beach trolley bus.
Old Nov 28, 18, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I like the location of the Shangri La and it would be fun for the kids to do little things by the beach. They'd even like riding on the beach trolley bus.
You mean the Shangri La Rasa Sentosa, right? (Not the Shangri La in Singapore.)
Old Nov 28, 18, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12 View Post
I had no problem getting from Sentosa in to downtown.

How did you get into town from there? Cab?
Old Nov 28, 18, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by jd20 View Post
Thanks, any recommendation for a hotel as an alternate to MBS? We're traveling in April, I don't think Raffles will be done renovating by then, otherwise that'd be at the top of my list. I have FHR, so the Four Seasons, Mandarin Oriental, Shangri La, Fullerton Bay, or RC Millenia all look like decent options, any to avoid in particular when traveling with kids?
I think anything around the Marina Bay Area is good. A friend of mine always stays at the Fullerton Hotel, but I've never stayed there.
The Conrad is a good location and decent.
Park Royal on Pickering is also a decent location (next to Chinatown)
Places to avoid? I don't think there are many tourist places you need to avoid if you have kids.
Old Jan 23, 19, 8:30 am

W hotel in Sentosa is more affordable, its near to Quay Side Isle, which is row of restaurant and cafes, overseeing yachts park by the harbour

Search this Thread