Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

FOREX at Changi

FOREX at Changi

Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
FOREX at Changi

Was wondering if getting some FOREX changed in Changi is a good deal ? Have noticed on my last trip that the Forex rates being offered there was not the best. Agreed airport's typically aren't the best place for changing Foreign Exchange as they know your options are limited and most of the time get away with charging hefty rates.

Wondering what would be a better way to tackle this, if one's only on transit thru Changi ?

Or do you get a better deal when changing to certain currencies ?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by quarryking
Was wondering if getting some FOREX changed in Changi is a good deal ? Have noticed on my last trip that the Forex rates being offered there was not the best. Agreed airport's typically aren't the best place for changing Foreign Exchange as they know your options are limited and most of the time get away with charging hefty rates.

Wondering what would be a better way to tackle this, if one's only on transit thru Changi ?

Or do you get a better deal when changing to certain currencies ?
if you are transiting only, i guess u dont have a choice. Alternatively, just use your card.
If you are getting out of the Airport, change elsewhere instead of Airport.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by quarryking
Was wondering if getting some FOREX changed in Changi is a good deal ? Have noticed on my last trip that the Forex rates being offered there was not the best.
Compared to what other alternatives you have? For me from Canada the rates were very good, unless I get out of the airport and exchange thousands of dollars. ATM would have cost more (3% at my bank).
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
The best exchange rate is at the ATM if your bank does not charge foreign ATM withdrawal fee. Singapore local banks/ATMs do not charge withdrawal fees.

Otherwise, use the following website https://cashchanger.co/singapore to determine where to go for the best rates. Rates there are published real time during weekdays. But in general, The Arcade at Raffles Place is your best bet for most currencies.

Last edited by invisible; Oct 27, 2018 at 10:00 pm
Old Oct 27, 2018, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Since we're on the topic, how much cash does one need for a quick 36-hour trip? I understand credit cards are widely accepted, including for mass transit. Is it possible to basically go cash-free? I know tipping isn't expected anywhere. Thanks.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Since we're on the topic, how much cash does one need for a quick 36-hour trip?
Question is - what do you want to do?

MRT card costs $12 and comes with $7 credit and you can top up at machines $10-$100 using credit card.
Taxis (any except red TransCab) accept credit cards, but there is 10% surcharge. You can instead sign up for Grab and use your credit card inside for rides.
Museums - National and Asian Civilization and National Gallery accept credit cards.
Any major shopping mall would accept credit cards as well.
Cash is for hawker centers and for bargain places like Bugis Village. $50 cash would be more than sufficient to cover food at hawker centers.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Excellent; thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Since we're on the topic, how much cash does one need for a quick 36-hour trip? I understand credit cards are widely accepted, including for mass transit. Is it possible to basically go cash-free? I know tipping isn't expected anywhere. Thanks.
If you have not already planned your visit, here are two threads with some ideas:

Little More than 24 Hours in Singapore

Dear Flyertalk: I'm in Singapore. What's off the beaten path?
joe_miami likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by invisible
The best exchange rate is at the ATM if your bank does not charge foreign ATM withdrawal fee. Singapore local banks/ATMs do not charge withdrawal fees.

Otherwise, use the following website https://cashchanger.co/singapore to determine where to go for the best rates. Rates there are published real time during weekdays. But in general, The Arcade at Raffles Place is your best bet for most currencies.
Interesting site, thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
In my experience the bank counters at Changi are no more than 1-2% worse than the best rate in town and still better than ATM rates. If changing a few hundred dollars it makes no sense to hunt the "best" rate in town. (the best rate I got in town was within 0,5% of the interbank middle rate)
Old Nov 13, 2018, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
In my experience the bank counters at Changi are no more than 1-2% worse than the best rate in town and still better than ATM rates. If changing a few hundred dollars it makes no sense to hunt the "best" rate in town. (the best rate I got in town was within 0,5% of the interbank middle rate)
I dont understand why would anyone need several hundred dollars cash in Singapore where except hawker center and places like Bugis village or Puau Ubin bumboat credit card is accepted everywhere.

Secondly I dont get better than ATM rates statement. Unless your bank adds percentage fee when withdrawing from foreign ATM - getting cash from local ATM is the cheapest option. Singapore banks do not add ATM or other fees for usage of overseas cards.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I dont understand why would anyone need several hundred dollars cash in Singapore where except hawker center and places like Bugis village or Puau Ubin bumboat credit card is accepted everywhere.

Secondly I dont get better than ATM rates statement. Unless your bank adds percentage fee when withdrawing from foreign ATM - getting cash from local ATM is the cheapest option. Singapore banks do not add ATM or other fees for usage of overseas cards.
For smaller amounts, it makes even less sense to hunt for the "best" deal - you might save a dollar or two.

My bank (and AFAIK all banks in my country) typically charge 2% + 2 per withdrawal outside the -zone (not to mention that they use the wholesale selling rate vs mid-rate). So it's NOT the cheapest option. Yes, there are places where it is, but SG is not one of them. Lived in SG for a while, did comparisons (paid by card at merchant, withdraw local cash and exchanged -cash within less than 60 minutes of each other) it was always the cheapest to change cash.

My rule of thumb is, if the cash rate is within 4% of mid-rate, I change cash.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:09 pm

Just generally, I second this website - usually the best forex deals I have found to be around the central business district
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just a data point from last Friday. Cash exchange at Changi UOB 1,55xx SGD/EUR I forgot the xx, but the spread was 0,4% from the interbank mid-rate (!) of 1,56xx If anyone gets a better rate on their ATM withdrawals or CC payments, I raise my hats to them.

The money changers in Chinatown offered the same as UOB - with the extra service that I could unload on them my leftover Laotian kips that no-one else would take
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
The money changers in Chinatown offered the same as UOB - with the extra service that I could unload on them my leftover Laotian kips that no-one else would take
That's great you managed to get rid of those!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.