Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

buying a SIN-KUL flight upon arrival at Changi, with no checked bags

Old Oct 21, 18, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire

I'm flying from the East Coast to SIN via SFO on United next week. I'm hoping to add almost a day on the front end via same-day change so that I can make a one-night trip to KUL upon arrival to SIN. (This is my first time to Asia; I didn't expect to have an extra day on the front end, and I didn't know that SIN-KUL flights are so cheap.) I won't know if I can make the outbound flight change until about a day before, so I want to leave my existing SIN (and SFO) reservations/plans unchanged. The SIN-KUL would have to be upon arrival or not at all.

Rather than book a SIN-KUL flight in advance and then risk missing it (or arriving hours too early), I was hoping to buy a ticket upon arrival to Changi. Has anyone here done this before? If so, do the SIN-KUL flights generally have walk-up availability throughout the day (this would be a Tuesday morning), or do the flights tend to sell out? Do the fares stay in the $50 r/t range or do fares spike for same-day bookings? I'd probably have to choose based on schedule rather than carrier, but is there a big reliability/service difference between Jetstar, AirAsia, or Scoot?

Thanks very much for all feedback.
Old Oct 21, 18, 7:11 pm

if you do successfully SDC on SFO-SIN, can't you buy SIN-KUL online at that point?

there are a lot of SIN-KUl flights (30+/day nonstop), should be fine. can't say about the pricing, depends if there's demand for that day (some special event/...)

you could buy a flexible fare (eg jetstar flexibiz allows free SDC if seats available, costs about $30+, not sure if you would trust a LCC on this though)

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 21, 18 at 7:18 pm
Old Oct 21, 18, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I didn't realize there were that many flights; I saw about 10 with a quick search and thought one of them would work.

Buying right before I depart SFO might work, and I didn't know about Jetstar's SDC option. Thanks again.
Old Oct 21, 18, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
Thanks. I didn't realize there were that many flights; I saw about 10 with a quick search and thought one of them would work.

Buying right before I depart SFO might work, and I didn't know about Jetstar's SDC option. Thanks again.
well, 17+ nonstops on LCC (the cheap ones), sorted by time
https://www.google.com/flights?lite=...;sd:1;t:f;tt:o

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...lobal-air-link

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 21, 18 at 8:12 pm
Old Oct 22, 18, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again. It looks like there's a 60-minute (AirAsia, Jetstar) or 40-minute (Scoot) check-in cutoff for the SIN-KUL flights. It appears check-in at SIN must be done in person rather than via mobile app (?), so even without any checked bags, I'm probably going to need at least 90 minutes between arriving at SIN and trying to depart to KUL.

I assume those deadlines also apply to walk-up sales, but unless someone here has tried it, I might just have to see how it goes upon arrival.
Old Oct 23, 18, 8:21 pm

Thanks again. It looks like there's a 60-minute (AirAsia, Jetstar) or 40-minute (Scoot) check-in cutoff for the SIN-KUL flights. It appears check-in at SIN must be done in person rather than via mobile app (?), so even without any checked bags, I'm probably going to need at least 90 minutes between arriving at SIN and trying to depart to KUL.

I assume those deadlines also apply to walk-up sales, but unless someone here has tried it, I might just have to see how it goes upon arrival.
Usually getting it on the spot, it will cost you alot more.
Old Oct 26, 18, 6:41 pm

Programs: Star Alliance

Please note that most LCC flights are operated from T4 which adds extra 10-25 min to get in.
Old Nov 19, 18, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Please note that most LCC flights are operated from T4 which adds extra 10-25 min to get in.
Buying LCC close to departure is typically the most expensive to buy them.

Note that Jetstar goes out from Terminal 1, and Scoot from Terminal 2. Air Asia flies from Terminal 4

Search this Thread