Search

Two days in Singapore. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Two days in Singapore. Advice?

So I'll be in Singapore for two days later this month. I would prefer to do sightseeing in the day time and shopping at night. What are the must see sights? Any malls worth visiting? Good places to get cheap food? I got a Singapore MRT card back in 2009, but there's an expiry date and IIRC, it says 2014. Can I exchange for a new one for free? Any other passes I should consider buying? Which prepaid carrier for roaming? Are there any simcards that allows me to top up online and keep the card active and maybe roam around the world? Where is the best place to exchange my USD, Euros, GBP to SGD? Should I arrive with SGD in hand or can I use my credit cards until I get to a money changer?

Thanks.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 11:47 am

We visited Singapore for just two days as well and you can actually squeeze in quite a bit!

For us the highlight in terms of sightseeing was definitely the Gardens by the Bay. If you google them you will find tons of pictures - they are famous for their 16-storey manmade supertrees. There is a skybridge you can access so you can walk between the trees and you can explore the rest of the park as well. It is a nice place to spend the late afternoon, especially since there is an awesome lightshowat dusk. You can also visit the flower dome etc. We didn't go because it was quite expensive but seeing some YouTube videos of it afterwards I sort of regret that now haha

In terms of shopping malls, the most famous one is probably the mall at Marina Bay Sands. It's quite big and very close to the Gardens by the Bay so you can easily combine the two in a half-day trip.

Our favourite thing to do in Singapore though was definitely tasting the local cuisine! There are so many good local restaurants and cheap hawker stalls, it is an amazing foodie destination. They also have the cheapest Michelin-starred restaurant in the world, where you can have a full lunch (being 2 mains and a water) for just 6 EUR per person. Which is crazy cheap and a pretty unique thing to do I'd definitely recommend checking that place out - it's called Hawker Chan and in case you are interested we made a short video about our visit there:

Enjoy your trip - I am sure you will have an awesome time! Singapore is my favourite Asian city so far.

Best,
Kim
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: most of them
lot of questions there. I use FlexiroamX. Works in Singapore and 100-and-something countries for my phone. It's a little circuit that you stick onto your regular SIM card and activate when you are traveling. There's at least one thread on that over in the Travel Technology forum.

I just use ATMs to get cash. But credit cards are widely accepted.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:48 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Many hotels offer the Handy Phone, which allows free calls worldwide; and basic functions such as Mapping, obviating the need for a SIM card.
I do my money changing at Peoples Park in Chinatown, there are several changers to compare.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:30 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by lsquare
...shopping at night. What are the must see sights? Any malls worth visiting?....
The Louis Vuitton store at MBS is the world's largest and rather astonishing .... mostly empty inside ... they keep most of the stock out of sight and interview you to see what you would like, and then bring the goods out (there are a few samples on display, but more as works of art). Prices are astonishing (suitcase for 1 million EUR for example). At least was a few years ago when Chinese were flocking to SIN to buy ... now they only have North Korea's leadership to supply
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
It might end up being moot if the World Series doesn't last six or seven games, but I'll be arriving in SIN about 90 minutes before either Game 6 or Game 7. Anyone have recommendations for a place to watch the game at or near the SIN airport, or should I simply hustle to the Grand Hyatt, which I guess is about an hour away by mass transit? (I assume I won't have any lounge access upon arrival in SIN, since it seems like all lounges are airside.) Thanks.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:27 pm
Suspended

[deleted]
Old Oct 19, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by joe_miami
It might end up being moot if the World Series doesn't last six or seven games, but I'll be arriving in SIN about 90 minutes before either Game 6 or Game 7. Anyone have recommendations for a place to watch the game at or near the SIN airport, or should I simply hustle to the Grand Hyatt, which I guess is about an hour away by mass transit? (I assume I won't have any lounge access upon arrival in SIN, since it seems like all lounges are airside.) Thanks.
There is no segregation of arrival and departures at SIN as all flights are international.
If you have arrival lounge access then just go to that lounge to see if they will put the game on for you.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 10:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tentseller
There is no segregation of arrival and departures at SIN as all flights are international.
If you have arrival lounge access then just go to that lounge to see if they will put the game on for you.
Excellent; thanks. (I'm a first-timer to SIN — and, for that matter, Asia.)
Old Oct 20, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by tentseller
There are no arrival lounges in SIN. Access to lounges in SIN is only for departing pax.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lehovec
There are no arrival lounges in SIN. Access to lounges in SIN is only for departing pax.
Strictly speaking, this appears to be true, but there are reports here of people accessing the landside PP lounge upon arrival.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by lehovec
Each airline determines their own policy....I have arrival access to the QF lounge, for example, but this is not a Oneworld benefit. Worth asking at whatever lounge you may think you are entitled to use, SIN is very efficient and helptul.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:42 am

Excellent; thanks. (I'm a first-timer to SIN — and, for that matter, Asia.)
Suggest Klook. It's travel app for discounted experiences, tickets, etc.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Strictly speaking, this appears to be true, but there are reports here of people accessing the landside PP lounge upon arrival.
Since last year PP landside lounge requires boarding pass to enter.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by IluvSQ
Many hotels offer the Handy Phone, which allows free calls worldwide; and basic functions such as Mapping, obviating the need for a SIM card.
I do my money changing at Peoples Park in Chinatown, there are several changers to compare.
I saw a handy phone recently in a hotel and thought it would be useful. I never did need it as I have a local sim card.

Incidentally, I would recommend this website to check money changers in Singapore and it appears many of the best rates are actually found in the CBD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.