Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Changi early morning flight can I get airside the night before?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changi early morning flight can I get airside the night before?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Question Changi early morning flight can I get airside the night before?

No bags to check - just need a boarding pass - but do security allow you airside the night before an early morning flight? (I'm quite familiar with Changi airport but am unsure on this one - will be flying business UA - Intention is to have a nap at one of the transit hotels then maybe use the kris flyer silver lounge?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ermintrude
No bags to check - just need a boarding pass - but do security allow you airside the night before an early morning flight? (I'm quite familiar with Changi airport but am unsure on this one - will be flying business UA - Intention is to have a nap at one of the transit hotels then maybe use the kris flyer silver lounge?
No ... unless you have your BP stamped by the check-in agent ... the initial security check will not let you go to immigration check and airside (transit area) without a same-day BP
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
No ... unless you have your BP stamped by the check-in agent ... the initial security check will not let you go to immigration check and airside (transit area) without a same-day BP
Thanks for letting me know... hmmmm I guess I will have to adjust my plans then...

Cheers,
Old Oct 3, 2018, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Really? I didn't realise that.

Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but I think they would be allowed airside as long as they have a valid boarding pass. For SQ, you can check in 48 hours before hand, so I believe you should be able to get airside at that time. I've also read trip reports elsewhere where travellers go to the Private Room the night before and then go sleep in the transit hotel (why?!) and then return to the Private Room the next morning.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 9:10 pm

for a 6am flight, I've entered airside 11pm the night before

explored the airport (the game section is closed during overnight hours, butterflies are sleeping etc), a lot of stores are closed

even if you have bags, your airline may allow early bag checkin (up to 24-48 hours).

for SQ, it explicitly notes that you can only drop bags/enter airside 24 hours before flight, so 48-hour is a misnomer

for UA, no early checkin, though you should be able to get mobile boarding pass? this page from straitstime in 2016 doesnt mention United having mobile option at changi
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...rport-security

Departure, GST Refunds, Security - Singapore Changi Airport

SQ: Please note that baggage check-in and entry into the transit area are only available 24 hrs before departure.

UA: no early checkin available

Last edited by paperwastage; Oct 3, 2018 at 9:26 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by paperwastage

explored the airport (the game section is closed during overnight hours, butterflies are sleeping etc), a lot of stores are closed

even if you have bags, your airline may allow early bag checkin (up to 24-48 hours).

for SQ, it explicitly notes that you can only drop bags/enter airside 24 hours before flight, so 48-hour is a misnomer

for UA, no early checkin, though you should be able to get mobile boarding pass? this page from straitstime in 2016 doesnt mention United having mobile option at changi
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...rport-security

Departure, GST Refunds, Security - Singapore Changi Airport
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Really? I didn't realise that.

Maybe I misunderstood the OP, but I think they would be allowed airside as long as they have a valid boarding pass. For SQ, you can check in 48 hours before hand, so I believe you should be able to get airside at that time. I've also read trip reports elsewhere where travellers go to the Private Room the night before and then go sleep in the transit hotel (why?!) and then return to the Private Room the next morning.
CHECK IN does not guarantee a boarding pass Unless things have changed I was able to checkin for UA but no boarding pass (notice that I had to present passport to agent). This was a few years ago so may not be true now, however, at one time there was an exception if you had a reservation for the transit hotel to allow through immigration - again not sure this is still true.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've done the overnight before a SQ flight with TPR visits for dinner and breakfast, spending the night in the transit hotel rather than getting up early in a downtown Singapore hotel before my flight. However, the problem is that you cannot do this with a USA legacy carrier nonstop flight to the USA as you must answer security questions at the airport before being permitted to go airside, and this can be done only after your USA carrier opens their check in desks in the (early) morning of the day fo departure.

OTOH, if you're connecting from elsewhere, even on separate tickets, you can simply remain airside and visit the transit hotel, lounges, swimming pool, movie theater or whatever during the evening (or more) before your flight. In this case, at worst you get the exSIN boarding pass at a transit desk and answer security questions in the gate area before boarding (allow a couple extra minutes at the gate for boarding in this case). If you have a bag checked to (only) SIN, either the transit desk will call and have it retagged or you can go landside at your convenience to retrieve the bag and recheck it when your USA airline opens its check in desks several hours before departure.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you have a bag checked to (only) SIN, either the transit desk will call and have it retagged or you can go landside at your convenience to retrieve the bag and recheck it when your USA airline opens its check in desks several hours before departure.
This only works for "full service carriers" (i.e. SQ, UA, NH, CX etc). It does not apply to LCCs.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
No you cannot. UA doesn't provide early check-in at the airport. Please refer to Changi "Early Check-in" page. Only airlines issued (or stamped) official boarding pass can be used to go air side.

Originally Posted by paperwastage

I have done early check-in at exactly 48 hours with SQ. Bags dropped no problem, right after entering the country

I did not go air side at that time, instead I went downtown as it was a 48 hours visit to the country.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:17 am
Original Poster

UA are apparently currently under enhanced security at Changi (due to an 'incident') and security requires a normal boarding pass (not email printed) to get airside. Also, a UA checkin agent at Changi told me that you can't turn up in the morning for a boarding pass for the UA evening flight (same day) even if no bags to check - and the UA checkin agents don't turn up until 3 hrs before the flight... (Not sure if codeshare can bypass the restrictions). Hmmmm Changi is my favorite transit airport .... but this is a bit of a curve-ball.

I haven't bought and cancelled a different airline ticket just to get through security for a while but I guess that is one way round...
Old Oct 28, 2018, 11:24 pm

UA are apparently currently under enhanced security at Changi (due to an 'incident') and security requires a normal boarding pass (not email printed) to get airside. Also, a UA checkin agent at Changi told me that you can't turn up in the morning for a boarding pass for the UA evening flight (same day) even if no bags to check - and the UA checkin agents don't turn up until 3 hrs before the flight... (Not sure if codeshare can bypass the restrictions). Hmmmm Changi is my favorite transit airport .... but this is a bit of a curve-ball.

I haven't bought and cancelled a different airline ticket just to get through security for a while but I guess that is one way round...
Haven't been through SIN for a while, but for all the years I did I could never get a boarding pass online for UA there - check in yes, but then notice to see agent for bp. It used to be that if you had a reservation for the transit hotel you could go airside - did you try emailing the transit hotel to see if this is still true?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
Haven't been through SIN for a while, but for all the years I did I could never get a boarding pass online for UA there - check in yes, but then notice to see agent for bp. It used to be that if you had a reservation for the transit hotel you could go airside - did you try emailing the transit hotel to see if this is still true?
Interesting.. I was OK as the priority plus accessible lounge land side was 1/2 decent
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:58 am

Interesting.. I was OK as the priority plus accessible lounge land side was 1/2 decent
Where is the PP lounge landside and what hours is it open? Thanks
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wouldn't try to do this at SIN. IIRC some kids were arrested there for buying and then cancelling plane tickets to go airside to try to see some celebrity who was passing through the airport. I forget exactly how the criminal offense was defined.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by estnet
Where is the PP lounge landside and what hours is it open? Thanks
https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loun...ven-by-jetquay

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.