Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Logistics for a 6AM flight- arriving the night before

Logistics for a 6AM flight- arriving the night before

Old Oct 2, 18, 12:19 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: WAS
Posts: 113
Logistics for a 6AM flight- arriving the night before

We will be arriving from Vietnam in the late evening to SIN (haven't bought these tickets yet). Our flight the next day is on ANA in business - it's the 6:35am flight SIN-HND. It's not worth it to go into the city so we were going to stay at the airport. Can someone please help me understand the logistics of doing this (what to do/recommendations)? Will we be able to stay in the airport or will this be a challenge?

AND - we arrive to SIN from HND ANA business class at 6:55AM, I was going to book at Scoot flight that departs at 9:10AM SIN-HAN - is this enough time? I saw that they were both in terminal 2. I know I can't check the luggage all the way through. Unfortunately, the next flight to Hanoi is at 13:25 - it would be on Vietnam air in economy so I doubt we would be able to go to the Terminal 2 business lounge (from the ANA portion being business). Please help and thank you!

Last edited by WAStraveller; Oct 2, 18 at 12:31 pm
WAStraveller is offline  
Old Oct 2, 18, 4:27 pm
  #2  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DCA or IAD (originally DUB)
Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Posts: 7,659
Starting with your arrival into SIN from HND at 0655 ... you are correct you cannot check through your bags if you want to fly out on Scoot. If you fly Vietnam Airlines, then you can stay airside and go to the transfer desk and ask them to put your bag(s) from the HND flight onto the one to HAN. Read this Transit time / procedure on two separate tickets for Changi
Assuming your inbound is on-time, you should have enough time to go through immigration and collect your bags and re-check with Scoot. SIN is a very user-friendly airport.
You have no airline lounge access on the basis of your NH ticket.
On your return, it depends on who you are flying with - Scoot or Vietnam Airlines? If the latter, you again go to the transfer desk and show your NH ticket and ask for bag(s) to be transferred. Then you should spend a couple of hours in the Transit Hotel. You should book in advance. One of many threads on this topic Which Singapore Changi transit hotel?
If you arrive on Scoot, then things become less easy. You will have to go landside, pick up your bag(s). You don't qualify for Scoot-thru. You can't re-check them at midnight as the NH check-in is not open and you can't get airside again as you need your NH boarding pass stamped to get through security. Changi is open 24 hours ... there are several restaurants and coffee shops open in the departures hall where you can wait for NH check-in to open and then go to the lounge.
UAPremExecflyer is offline  
Old Oct 3, 18, 4:32 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: WAS
Posts: 113
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
Starting with your arrival into SIN from HND at 0655 ... you are correct you cannot check through your bags if you want to fly out on Scoot. If you fly Vietnam Airlines, then you can stay airside and go to the transfer desk and ask them to put your bag(s) from the HND flight onto the one to HAN. Read this Transit time / procedure on two separate tickets for Changi
Assuming your inbound is on-time, you should have enough time to go through immigration and collect your bags and re-check with Scoot. SIN is a very user-friendly airport.
You have no airline lounge access on the basis of your NH ticket.
On your return, it depends on who you are flying with - Scoot or Vietnam Airlines? If the latter, you again go to the transfer desk and show your NH ticket and ask for bag(s) to be transferred. Then you should spend a couple of hours in the Transit Hotel. You should book in advance. One of many threads on this topic Which Singapore Changi transit hotel?
If you arrive on Scoot, then things become less easy. You will have to go landside, pick up your bag(s). You don't qualify for Scoot-thru. You can't re-check them at midnight as the NH check-in is not open and you can't get airside again as you need your NH boarding pass stamped to get through security. Changi is open 24 hours ... there are several restaurants and coffee shops open in the departures hall where you can wait for NH check-in to open and then go to the lounge.
Thank you so much. For the return, if we do fly Vietnam Airlines (which sounds like we should - they actually have a better schedule) - we go to the desk and have luggage transferred. Will we remain in the airport/at the terminals? I am asking since I read about the movie theater and some other interesting parts of the airport - perhaps the kids can watch a movie- THEN go to the Transit Hotel. I did email the Transit Hotel and am in the process of reserving. Thank you..
WAStraveller is offline  
Old Oct 4, 18, 4:51 am
  #4  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: DCA or IAD (originally DUB)
Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Posts: 7,659
Originally Posted by laurava View Post
Thank you so much. For the return, if we do fly Vietnam Airlines (which sounds like we should - they actually have a better schedule) - we go to the desk and have luggage transferred. Will we remain in the airport/at the terminals? I am asking since I read about the movie theater and some other interesting parts of the airport - perhaps the kids can watch a movie- THEN go to the Transit Hotel. I did email the Transit Hotel and am in the process of reserving. Thank you..
Yes you can stay airside (in the transit area). SIN (the airport) will transfer bags between major carriers (not LCCs) on separate itineraries.
WAStraveller likes this.
UAPremExecflyer is offline  
Old Nov 12, 18, 9:47 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: WAS
Posts: 113
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer View Post
Yes you can stay airside (in the transit area). SIN (the airport) will transfer bags between major carriers (not LCCs) on separate itineraries.
Sorry- a follow-up question. When we arrive on ANA to SIN (terminal 2) - we will be flying on Vietnam Airlines (a separate ticket) at Terminal 4. Logistically, where do we go to the transfer desk - terminal 2? do we have to go through immigration first to then get the luggage? I'm preparing for a groggy family arriving on a red-eye so the more I know, the better. Thank you!
WAStraveller is offline  
Old Nov 18, 18, 10:12 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,544
Originally Posted by laurava View Post
Sorry- a follow-up question. When we arrive on ANA to SIN (terminal 2) - we will be flying on Vietnam Airlines (a separate ticket) at Terminal 4. Logistically, where do we go to the transfer desk - terminal 2? do we have to go through immigration first to then get the luggage? I'm preparing for a groggy family arriving on a red-eye so the more I know, the better. Thank you!
I have done something similar but from T4 to T2.

Maybe I did it wrong, but I landed in T4, picked up my luggage and then took the shuttle bus to T2. Once there, I checked into my flight and then through immigration.

Note that the T4-T2 shuttle bus only goes to T2, and (I believe) there are no other free buses connecting to the other terminals. There are skytrains to T1 and T3, and technically you could actually walk to all three terminals.
WAStraveller likes this.
SQTraveller is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread