FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Cheapest (6 EUR) Michelin-starred meal in the world! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1926263-cheapest-6-eur-michelin-starred-meal-world.html)

KimDDD Aug 20, 2018 1:32 pm

Cheapest (6 EUR) Michelin-starred meal in the world!

Hi FT'ers

Those of you who have already visited Singapore will certainly know that it is the foodie capital of Asia. Because it's a bit of a cultural melting pot, Singapore cuisine features the best of Malaysian, Indonesian, Thai, Japanese and other Asian cuisines - often at very affordable prices.

One of the things we liked most about Singapore was definitely the street food scene. And we figured that there would probably be some people on here who would like to hear about our absolute best find in this respect: a Michelin-starred hawker stall which serves up the best street food we have ever had, at ridiculously low prices. The place is called Hawker Chan - although the official (very original :D) name is Hong Kong Soya Sauce Chicken Rice and Noodle. We had two mains each and some water (yes, we were hungry and wanted to try as much food here as we could) for... 6 EUR per person. Crazy, right?!

We were expecting to queue several hours for our meal (because that was also mentioned in the article linked below), but we had our food within 20-25 minutes of getting there. The food itself was incredible - the best street food we've ever had. The Char Siu (barbecue pork) was our favourite: it was deliciously succulent and so full of flavour. The inside of the restaurant is nothing special though. It's about as charming (and busy / noisy) as your average McDonalds...

If you are in Singapore and you love food, you HAVE to visit this place. If you're interested in going, we made a short YouTube video about our visit:

FYI: there is another Singapore hawker which also has a Michelin star, but we did not manage to eat there as they were closing earlier than stated by opening hours. You can find more information on both hawker stalls in this Telegraph article:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...michelin-star/

So... What's your favourite foodie destination?

All the best & safe travels,
Kim

MattEvan Aug 20, 2018 2:21 pm

SG is the foodie capital of Asia? OK, if you say so.

mike&co Aug 20, 2018 4:25 pm

Not exactly a trip report, is it ?

lamphs Aug 20, 2018 6:58 pm

This may not be a traditional TR, but I for one appreciate the information. This forum has been a great source of information for my travels.

chongl Aug 21, 2018 1:20 pm

Nothing like a brand new member fishing for YT views.

The original hawker stall was $2.50, so 6 Euro is not even close to being the cheapest if that's the price at their newer facility

KimDDD Aug 21, 2018 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by chongl (Post 30111624)
Nothing like a brand new member fishing for YT views.

The original hawker stall was $2.50, so 6 Euro is not even close to being the cheapest if that's the price at their newer facility

Just sharing our experience here. The 6 eur was actually not in the newer facility but in the initial one. 2.5$ was indeed the previous price per dish but as mentioned above we each got 2 mains and some water for the 6 eur.

KimDDD Aug 21, 2018 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan (Post 30106775)
SG is the foodie capital of Asia? OK, if you say so.

That’s just our opinion, but yes in our view it is :) what would be your top choice?

MattEvan Aug 22, 2018 7:48 am

Originally Posted by KimDDD (Post 30111811)

That’s just our opinion, but yes in our view it is :) what would be your top choice?

Tokyo, Osaka, Sapporo/Hokkaido, Bangkok, Seoul, Chengdu, to name a few.

offerendum Aug 22, 2018 11:16 am

Originally Posted by MattEvan (Post 30114973)
Tokyo, Osaka, Sapporo/Hokkaido, Bangkok, Seoul, Chengdu, to name a few.

Don´t forget Hong Kong, some nice restaurants. 6 "3 star" restaurants is quite a lot (am I right that only Paris offers more of them?). Over all they have 86 stars with 63 starred restaurants. Can´t really compare the street food and "non-starred" restaurant scene.

KimDDD Aug 23, 2018 12:41 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 30115939)
Don´t forget Hong Kong, some nice restaurants. 6 "3 star" restaurants is quite a lot (am I right that only Paris offers more of them?). Over all they have 86 stars with 63 starred restaurants. Can´t really compare the street food and "non-starred" restaurant scene.

No I agree that a starred hawker is not the same as a ‘real’ Michelin starred restaurant. But still, in terms of the quality of street food I personally think Singapore is the best I’ve had so far in Asia.

I guess most people don’t usually visit Michelin starred restaurants when travelling, so that’s the reason I’m not making a comparison at that level. But we also visited a ‘real’ one star restaurant in Singapore, Summer Pavilion, and really enjoyed that as well.

Thanks for your input - I’ll definitely have to check out the food scene in HK then :)

offerendum Aug 23, 2018 3:30 am

Originally Posted by KimDDD (Post 30118567)
I guess most people don’t usually visit Michelin starred restaurants when travelling

Sometimes it´s the reason to travel;)

But I agree it´s of course a limited circle of persons. This star was a big sensation is is subject of controversal discussions. I have no problems with it as quality wise the setting of a restaurant isn´t everything. In General I find it hard to compare starred Asian cusine with European.

KimDDD Aug 23, 2018 4:39 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 30118928)
Sometimes it´s the reason to travel;)

But I agree it´s of course a limited circle of persons. This star was a big sensation is is subject of controversal discussions. I have no problems with it as quality wise the setting of a restaurant isn´t everything. In General I find it hard to compare starred Asian cusine with European.

I fully agree that sometimes it's the reason to travel! We will be heading to Mexico next year and one of the first things we actually looked into was what (relatively affordable) Michelin star restaurants we could visit there :p and indeed I also think that Asian Michelin starred restaurants are not really comparable with European ones. I thought Summer Pavilion was great, but the price was quite high compared to what you would spend for a similar meal in a European 1* restaurant. The service was also a bit different - just a different style I guess :)

MixalisK. Aug 23, 2018 6:06 am

Originally Posted by KimDDD (Post 30111793)

Just sharing our experience here. The 6 eur was actually not in the newer facility but in the initial one. 2.5$ was indeed the previous price per dish but as mentioned above we each got 2 mains and some water for the 6 eur.

Yes but you mentioned 6 euros per person initialy which is definately not cheapest available.
If 6 is for 2 inclusive all, that makes sense.

offerendum Aug 23, 2018 7:22 am

Originally Posted by MixalisK. (Post 30119299)
Yes but you mentioned 6 euros per person initialy which is definately not cheapest available.
If 6 is for 2 inclusive all, that makes sense.

Both figures are less than you often pay for a waten in a starred restaurant.....
There are some starred bargains outside which are worth a visit.

Madone59 Aug 23, 2018 2:36 pm

This thread has been moved from Trip Reports as it does not contain enough information to qualify as a stand alone trip report.

Madone59
Moderator: Trip Reports