FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Changi Village (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1924508-changi-village.html)

oh_lol Aug 10, 2018 9:45 am

Changi Village

Hi all,

I have a few hours to kill on an upcoming flight and was wondering if anyone rates Changi Village for food? Would you recommend heading out for some food (and the beer from Little Island), or is it not much better than what I could get in the SilverKris lounge?

paperwastage Aug 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Depending how much time? It's at least 15 min each way by taxi

1) 2-4 hours - explore airport , or at least go landside and visit the staff canteen in T1/2, then relax at silverkris

2) more than 6 hours - do the free tours or explore downtown

HasteFlier Aug 20, 2018 7:37 am

I agree with the duration - it does depend on how much time you have :)

Concerning which one is better, i'd say they are quite different atmospheres, so it's difficult to rank Changi Village and the Silverkris lounge :) Changi Village is quite famous, so it's great if you want hawker food (I'd definitely be tempted!), and it's especially good if you want Nasi Lemak. Then, the Silverkris has a quite large array of food, champagne, etc..

theaugbunnies Aug 26, 2018 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by oh_lol (Post 30068281)
Hi all,

I have a few hours to kill on an upcoming flight and was wondering if anyone rates Changi Village for food? Would you recommend heading out for some food (and the beer from Little Island), or is it not much better than what I could get in the SilverKris lounge?

Changi Village is a nice little local area where they have a huge hawker center where plenty of local food are for sale. It can be a tourist attraction in itself with the myriad of options available at very affordable pricing. That being said, the dining environment is not the best and It is quite different from any restaurants and might appear daunting to the first time visitor. Our government is interested to recognise this as an UNESCO heritage list so you might want to visit and see what it is all about.

During the evening, it is one of the few places in Singapore where you can see wild parrots perching on the treetops. The beach(non fancy) is also minutes away from the area where you can probably spot your next flight arriving at the airport.

With Silverkris lounge, you get all the comforts and our local beer (Tiger) available at one spot. As with buffet offering compared with made to order ones, i will definitely choose the latter.

kc_phil Sep 8, 2018 9:59 am

East Coast Food Village is more better

if you are going to come out of the airport, I would recommend East Coast Food Village over Changi Village. About the same distance, but a more pleasant environment.

Reallt comes alive after 5pm. Great Satay and seafood options. Don’t forget to buy your own tissues.

Depending upon how much time you have (and Budget), you could also consider Jumbo Seafood at East Coast for a Chili crab. It’s adjacent and hella good.

SQTraveller Sep 10, 2018 10:57 pm

I would avoid hawker centres such as Changi village, Lau Pa Sat, Maxwell and Newton. The food is here is passable at best.

My suggestion is Balestier food centre. It's not close enough to an MRT that all the tourists can easily get there but it's not so far away that you can get lost.

If you don't like that, there are plenty of alternative restaurants nearby, and for those durian lovers out there, it's well known for having may stalls along the road.

invisible Sep 11, 2018 1:36 am

Originally Posted by SQTraveller (Post 30190777)
I would avoid hawker centres such as Changi village, Lau Pa Sat, Maxwell and Newton. The food is here is passable at best.

Agree on Lau Pa Sat and Newton but what is wrong about Changi Village and Maxwell? Main population of customers there definitely are not tourists and Lau Pa Sat mainly serves people from nearby office buildings on work days.

If the criteria is to avoid well known hawker centers or these which are next to MRT, just because they might cause tourist attention, I am not sure this approach is the correct one. Because in this case Tiong Bahru, Zion Road, Old Airport, Khatib and Geylang hawker centers should be excluded (because they are well known) while food there is quite good.

SQTraveller Sep 11, 2018 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 30191016)
Agree on Lau Pa Sat and Newton but what is wrong about Changi Village and Maxwell? Main population of customers there definitely are not tourists and Lau Pa Sat mainly serves people from nearby office buildings on work days.

If the criteria is to avoid well known hawker centers or these which are next to MRT, just because they might cause tourist attention, I am not sure this approach is the correct one. Because in this case Tiong Bahru, Zion Road, Old Airport, Khatib and Geylang hawker centers should be excluded (because they are well known) while food there is quite good.

Maybe I was a bit excitable, so Maxwell is an acceptable place to eat. However, I stand by my comments on LPS for sure. Lau Pa Sat is distinctly average. It is only still in existence because of the monopoly it has on the office workers, not because office workers enjoy eating there. I don't know why guide books send people there. And for the love of all that is holy, please do not eat the satay. It is overcooked minced meat on a stick - you might as well go to Arab Street where they do far superior minced meat kebabs. I would actually recommend people go to Chinatown and eat at Hong Lim Food Centre.

invisible Sep 11, 2018 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by SQTraveller (Post 30194119)
However, I stand by my comments on LPS for sure. Lau Pa Sat is distinctly average. It is only still in existence because of the monopoly it has on the office workers, not because office workers enjoy eating there.

No disagreement about LPS at all. I know at least four people who got sick after eating there and food is expensive and average at the best.
Fortunately for office workers there is an alternative just a block away. Golden Shoe, which was across UOB plaza and next to OCBC has been relocated next to Teloy Ayer MRT entrance, it is called Market Street Interim Food Centre and one can find really delicious and cheap meals there. One more plus sign of that place that a lot of stalls accept GrabPay so no need to deal with cash. The catch is that most of of stall close around 4-5PM.

Originally Posted by SQTraveller (Post 30194119)
And for the love of all that is holy, please do not eat the satay. It is overcooked minced meat on a stick - you might as well go to Arab Street where they do far superior minced meat kebabs. I would actually recommend people go to Chinatown and eat at Hong Lim Food Centre.

Agree on this as well.

Ot yes, BTW, please also avoid Satay By The bay and Gluttons By The Bay - two very overpriced tourist traps.

oh_lol Sep 13, 2018 6:14 am

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm quite familiar with the hawker centres closer to the centre of town, but never been to any on the East Coast.
I wrote this originally, as I'm craving some wonton mee, carrot cake + lor mee.
Looks like I may not have enough time though, have just over 3h (1305 - 1625).

invisible Sep 13, 2018 10:05 am

Originally Posted by oh_lol (Post 30198995)
Thanks for the replies everyone! I'm quite familiar with the hawker centres closer to the centre of town, but never been to any on the East Coast.
I wrote this originally, as I'm craving some wonton mee, carrot cake + lor mee.
Looks like I may not have enough time though, have just over 3h (1305 - 1625).

Your best and quite good options are to go at Staff Canteen at T1 basement and/or at T3 food count.

SQTraveller Nov 19, 2018 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 30199799)
Your best and quite good options are to go at Staff Canteen at T1 basement and/or at T3 food count.

agreed