Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

ATM networks in Singapore

Old Aug 8, 2018, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR

I am wondering which of my debit cards to bring for a trip to Singapore. Would you know which ATM networks, say Cirrus or Star, are popular there?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by vanillabean
I am wondering which of my debit cards to bring for a trip to Singapore. Would you know which ATM networks, say Cirrus or Star, are popular there?
You are over-thinking this.
Singapore is a global banking and financial centre ... there are ATMs sprinkled liberally around the place.
Having been there many times, I've never had an issue finding and/or using an ATM. And you won't either.
If you tried a Google search "Singapore ATM machines" or similar, you'd get myriad sources of information ... one of them.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Aug 8, 2018 at 12:07 pm Reason: added thread link
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
STAR has zero associated ATM in Singapore, and most (all?) countries outside of USA.

Cirrus is everywhere in Singapore. Please refer to MasterCard ATM locator website.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
You are over-thinking this.
Probably. I just didn't want to toss a $5 fee out the window on top of the transaction fee if I didn't have to.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
No transaction fee for Singapore ATMs. Your bank of course may charge you a fee.
Any Cirrus/Plus/UnionPay card will work
Old Aug 20, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by vanillabean
Probably. I just didn't want to toss a $5 fee out the window on top of the transaction fee if I didn't have to.
Not sure how much time you have, but I would *highly* recommend a Schwab checking account if you frequently travel abroad. No foreign transaction fees at any ATM anywhere in the world. It is, in all honesty, the most valuable piece of travel gear I have. Can get local currency out of any ATM anywhere and be good to go without needing to exchange cash or pay any fees. No minimum balance helps as well, I just store a few hundred USD in there for emergency use stateside and then transfer over however much I might need before an international trip. Have used it dozens and dozens of times in Singapore, never once had an issue.

If you don't have enough time to open an account or it doesn't interest you, figure out which of your cards has the smallest foreign transaction fee and go with that. Maybe pick the lowest two cards to be safe. Finding an ATM in SIngapore is not difficult. In my experience, every major hotel has one and you can usually find ATMs in any mall or shopping area.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: most of them
I have a TD Bank checking account that also does not charge fees for non-TD ATMs and they rebate fees charged by the ATM owner as well. I pretty much just have this account for travel
Old Aug 22, 2018, 9:28 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
One advice/recommendation - some ATMs might display an offer to use currency conversion rate offered by that ATM or post charges directly using card's currency. DO NOT accept such offers - it is basically DCC and will end for you being charged 3-7% on top of the interbank exchange rate.

Three main local banks in Singapore are DBS, UOB and OCBC. You can find their ATMs pretty much anywhere. Any shopping center will have at least one ATM from each of these banks, usually stacked together.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by invisible
One advice/recommendation - some ATMs might display an offer to use currency conversion rate offered by that ATM or post charges directly using card's currency. DO NOT accept such offers - it is basically DCC and will end for you being charged 3-7% on top of the interbank exchange rate.

Three main local banks in Singapore are DBS, UOB and OCBC. You can find their ATMs pretty much anywhere. Any shopping center will have at least one ATM from each of these banks, usually stacked together.
Didn't quite undertsand ? So your suggesting use the local currency (SGD) option or choose your home currency ?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 8:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by quarryking
Didn't quite undertsand ? So your suggesting use the local currency (SGD) option or choose your home currency ?
The ATM may - before dispensing cash - offer you the choice of being charged in the local currency (SGD) or your home currency ... the difference being the exchange rate used ... if local currency you should get a better rate (interbank) versus home currency when the local bank shows you much will be deducted from your checking/current account. The better rate option is always choose "local currency".
Old Oct 24, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
Does one really need cash in Singapore?
Old Oct 24, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Marschel
Does one really need cash in Singapore?
It all depends; for me, none of the places where I eat the uncle or auntie accept anything else.
Marschel likes this.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:37 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
The ATM may - before dispensing cash - offer you the choice of being charged in the local currency (SGD) or your home currency ... the difference being the exchange rate used ... if local currency you should get a better rate (interbank) versus home currency when the local bank shows you much will be deducted from your checking/current account. The better rate option is always choose "local currency".
Understood now..makes sense.
Old Oct 26, 2018, 6:36 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by tentseller
It all depends; for me, none of the places where I eat the uncle or auntie accept anything else.
Let's hope that universal QR code will change this...
Old Oct 26, 2018, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by invisible
Let's hope that universal QR code will change this...
I can hardly wait to just scan and eat in SG as I do in CN now.

Just the idea of handling food and then money is not a good combination.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.