Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Baggage office contact @ SIN?

Old Jun 17, 18, 5:20 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so this is yet another sort-of-transit post about Changi

I arrive after midnight at T2 and plan to stay at the transit hotel and collect my baggage in the morning. To somewhat minimize the risk of my bag going off on its own, I'd like to try and talk to the baggage office or my airlines baggage handling agent at the airport, see if they could pre-arrange to pick up my bag.
- Has anyone done this before? Is it even an option?
- I am flying ANA. Airport website lists SATS as the handling agent, but other than corporate phone number I can't find any contacts. Anything more local would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jun 19, 18, 3:11 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Good luck. Can't imagine someone will answer your call and entertain your request, unless you are some senior government official or VIP.

>> if they could pre-arrange to pick up my bag
And then do what with it?

Luggage on conveyor belt will be moved off the belt and placed to the side after ~45 minutes, to make room for a new arrival. Bags still standing after a while will be relocated to an empty area of the baggage claim area, properly lined up, across from the baggage claim office,
Old Jun 19, 18, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Never had a problem doing this (the baggage left) without any special arrangements but it's been a few years.
SIN is very efficient - go to luggage office - give them the tag - find luggage chained for safety - staff unchains luggage - total time to pick up - about 10 minutes (at most).
Lots of people do this - esp when arriving after midnight from the US - stay airside until 6 or 7, pick up luggage, head to town
Old Jun 20, 18, 9:30 am

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> go to luggage office - give them the tag - find luggage chained for safety - staff unchains luggage

They stopped doing that since at least last year. Bags were no longer chained. No one would check you claim tag. The baggage claim office also moved to a new location.

But I have no problem with the new arrangement.
Old Jun 20, 18, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
>> go to luggage office - give them the tag - find luggage chained for safety - staff unchains luggage

They stopped doing that since at least last year. Bags were no longer chained. No one would check you claim tag. The baggage claim office also moved to a new location.

But I have no problem with the new arrangement.
Well I did say it's been a few years
Nevertheless the basic premise remains the same - easy to do without real worry.
Old Jun 21, 18, 2:40 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all. That's what I will do - let the bag go into the "common area".

Surprised about lack of official service though, esp. in a place like SIN that thought of everything else.

I had my bag picked up in the US at an airport (not known for particularly good service) by a company (airline baggage contractor) for a small fee (and delivered elsewhere). Obviously bag cant pass customs in SIN without the owner, but it would be easy and convenient if they formalized the set-aside process (for a fee if need be)
Old Nov 22, 18, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by br2k View Post
Thanks all. That's what I will do - let the bag go into the "common area".

Surprised about lack of official service though, esp. in a place like SIN that thought of everything else.

I had my bag picked up in the US at an airport (not known for particularly good service) by a company (airline baggage contractor) for a small fee (and delivered elsewhere). Obviously bag cant pass customs in SIN without the owner, but it would be easy and convenient if they formalized the set-aside process (for a fee if need be)
While Singapore Changi is well known for it's friendliness to users, it never forgets that it has a major stakeholder in the government. Generating returns is important and so they probably looked into this and decided it was not worth the return on investment

Search this Thread