Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Changi Transit Question again! I promise it's different.

Old May 30, 18, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Chase Ink Bold, Amex Gold

Have a unique situation.
I want to fly from Bali to Singapore and then back from Singapore to Bali the same day in 3-4 hours. (Bali visa stuff, please donít ask why).
I will not have any checked in baggage.

1) Can I simply print a boarding pass before leaving Bali and remain airside without clearing customs and immigration? Reason I ask is because Iím an Indian national and will want to travel without getting a visa.

2) If the answer is yes, how do I get past the airline officials at Bali who will want to see my visa.
Old May 31, 18, 4:57 am

Without a valid visa for SIN, the airline won't allow you onboardat Bali (if SIN doesn't allow you in, the airline eats the cost of transporting you out of SIN)

And for a Visa run, you need to enter SIN
Old Jun 1, 18, 11:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
Without a valid visa for SIN, the airline won't allow you onboardat Bali (if SIN doesn't allow you in, the airline eats the cost of transporting you out of SIN)
Weird since I already have a ticket to transport myself out of Singapore the same day! But I guess it's policy so common sense will not work.

Originally Posted by paperwastage View Post
And for a Visa run, you need to enter SIN
No I don't. Have done visa runs by just staying at airports and returning without any stamps. Bali immigration has no problems. My friend even asked them and they said they don't look for any stamps.
Old Jun 3, 18, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton-Dia, Marriott-G
You don't need a visa. You will not need to pass through immigration since you have no checked luggage. Just go your gate on arrival (which may be in a different terminal [1-4])
https://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/o...uirements.html
Old Jun 5, 18, 12:53 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by paragffm View Post
Weird since I already have a ticket to transport myself out of Singapore the same day! But I guess it's policy so common sense will not work.
Anyone can buy ticket to anywhere. Boarding is allowed only if you meet visa (waiver) or immigration requirements for the transit / destination countries.

Originally Posted by tide View Post
You don't need a visa. You will not need to pass through immigration since you have no checked luggage. Just go your gate on arrival (which may be in a different terminal [1-4])
https://www.mfa.gov.sg/content/mfa/o...uirements.html
If airline staff can be convinced that the same day return is in fact a "transit".
Old Jun 5, 18, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
Anyone can buy ticket to anywhere. Boarding is allowed only if you meet visa (waiver) or immigration requirements for the transit / destination countries.
Yep, I believe that is the case. Will arrange for a visa. I am just saying that the airline visa check is so that they don't have to bear the cost of transporting someone out if they can't clear immigration. In my case, they wouldn't have to since I already have a ticket on the same airline. So it shouldn't matter but I know it does.

Originally Posted by beep88 View Post
If airline staff can be convinced that the same day return is in fact a "transit".
Yep, true again and no way to do that. Thanks for the info beep88 and tide.
Old Jun 9, 18, 4:19 pm

To be safe you could be a refundable ticket to somewhere you don't need a visa in advance, such as SIN-BKK if you have any issues.

-David
Old Jun 10, 18, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by paragffm View Post
I am just saying that the airline visa check is so that they don't have to bear the cost of transporting someone out if they can't clear immigration.
... and a fine. Airlines are fined for flying in unauthorised passengers. See here for an example: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...ised-passenger

Also, whatever the visa check is for, that's the airline SOP, and the check-in agent *will not* check you in if TIMATIC spits out an error that you need to have a visa.
Old Jun 21, 18, 12:01 am

Originally Posted by hdogan View Post
... and a fine. Airlines are fined for flying in unauthorised passengers. See here for an example: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/abou...ised-passenger

Also, whatever the visa check is for, that's the airline SOP, and the check-in agent *will not* check you in if TIMATIC spits out an error that you need to have a visa.
I think this is a bit different from OP's situation. Your report is about a case where NZ specifically contacted them to not transport the passenger but they did anyway. I'm guessing it had to do with being a Syrian refugee and wanting to seek asylum.

Search this Thread