Reload this Page >

Transit time / procedure on two separate tickets for Changi

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transit time / procedure on two separate tickets for Changi

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Hi. This is a very useful thread - thanks for the info.

I have another question related to transit on separate tickets. Is it possible to do the airside transit with a layover of around 23hrs? I will arrive from MUC with LH at around 5pm and then I will fly from SIN to DPS with Garuda at 3pm the next day. Ideally I'd like to use the transfer desk and check the luggage through without having to drag it around with me.

I have two choices of what to do after arrival in SIN. The first is staying airside the whole time and staying in the transit hotel. I won't have many problems with this as I'll sleep for most of the time anyway. The second option is to transfer the luggage airside and then go through customs and go into the city for the evening with just hand luggage. But is this possible if I do an airside transit and send my luggage through? From what I understand LH is T2 and Garuda T3 - is that likely to cause any problems?

I won't have any visa issues to deal with and will be staying in Singapore on the way back anyway for two nights.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 18, 2018, 7:14 am

Hi i can only respond with my own experience to what I asked earlier:
I arrived Spore on time on my ANA flight from Tokyo, I found the Transfer desk and got my boarding pass for my flight from SIN to BKI on SILKAIR. Since my bag was checked in all the way from Vancouver to final destination BKI, I did not have to worry about getting checked bag and clearing customs.. So I stayed airside and 2 hrs. layover was indeed enough to make the connection at Changi. Both arrival and departure were at T2.

In your case T2 and T3 are connected via a frequent tram service...I believe you can get find your transfer desk and still remain airside between T2 and T3.

I did experience a moment of panic when my bag did not come out on the carousel...same with 2 other guys who came from Munich via Spore...and then as we were making our claims to the airline agent...our 3 bags slowly came out!
Old May 18, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
If you don't have onward boarding pass or baggage is not through-checked to destination, you can use the air side transit desk to obtain boarding pass and transfer the check-in bags, if:

- the 2 airlines have interline agreements
- check-in (or early check-in) is open for the connecting flight

>> arrive from MUC with LH at around 5pm and then I will fly from SIN to DPS with Garuda at 3pm the next day

As per Changi airport early check-in page, Garuda check-in is for same day flights only, and they open at 0530hrs .

After your arrival at SIN, you can remain air side, stay in transit hotel, lounge hop, watch movies at the theatre, have a swim,.etc.. The next morning after 5:30am, go to the transit desk and get your boarding pass, and have check-in bags transferred. Then sleep / lounge hop / shop some more, air side.

I have done this a few times. Except one time connecting to a LCC, when I arrived at SIN on LH, transit desk told me my departing flight wouldn't be open for check-in until the next day. So I went to transit hotel for the night. Next morning, same transit desk said my departing airline does not have interline agreement with LH. So I had to go through immigration/baggage claim/customs and do normal check-in for the departing flight.
Old May 19, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Originally Posted by beep88

After your arrival at SIN, you can remain air side, stay in transit hotel, lounge hop, watch movies at the theatre, have a swim,.etc.. The next morning after 5:30am, go to the transit desk and get your boarding pass, and have check-in bags transferred. Then sleep / lounge hop / shop some more, air side.
This is very useful, thanks. Just two further questions - what happens to my checked baggage if I don’t pick it up that evening? Will it be kept somewhere where I, or Garuda, would need to pick it up the next morning? And, if I already have my Garuda boarding pass (from online check in) do you think Garuda would be able to pick it up the next morning if I go to the transfer desk the day before and give my luggage tag or does the same rule apply re:5.30 the next morning?

Not a problem for me if they can’t but just wanted to check. Another thing, should I need to go landslide, is that I would need to put certain things (tobacco) into my hand luggage and store it in airside luggage storage when I go through customs, as I know that loose tobacco (in the form of Swedish snus) can’t be brought into Singapore.
Old May 19, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Checked bags will be picked up by airport staff when they need the conveyor belt for the next flight (which is like 45 minutes). Bags will be moved to a centralized location, It used to be in "Lost and Found" section. But last time they just put it in an empty area of the baggage claim area, neatly arranged in rows.

Since you need them to transfer the bags for you, should you decide to stay air side, you will need to visit the transfer desk, whether you already have boarding pass or not. This can only be done, I assume, when check-in is open for the flightat 530hrs, as they need to "transfer" the luggage tag information to the Garuda system. That's my understanding. You won't see your bag until you arrive at DPS.

There is baggage storage air side, so you put your stuff there before you go land side. However my understanding is that you cannot go from land side back to air side with a home printed boarding pass. You need an airline validated / printed boarding pass.
Old May 31, 2019, 1:45 pm

Transit through Changi with 2 separate tickets - use of Transit Desk Service

Help please:

I will arrive Changi from London on BA0011 at 16.05.
for complicated reasons - I already have a separate ticket to reach Bangkok and would like to get there the same day.
I already have a Singapore Airlines ticket to Bangkok and the last flight is 18.30Hrs - SQ978.

Assuming I take the risk that my BA flight lands on time, will I have to go through customs pick up my luggage and then check in at departures ?

Or - as Alexcad’s post in this thread states - I am able to go to the Singapore Airlines Transit Desk and arrange for them to uplift my bags and get my boarding pass issued without going through customs.

And - how do I confirm this is an official service- do I ask Singapore Airlines or Singapore Airport ?
Old Aug 6, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Looking at using the Changi airside transfer desk for an upcoming trip on 2 separate PNR’s. Both flights arrive / depart from T1, but any idea what the MCT is between International flights and if I can’t get my bags tagged the whole way through to my final destination, how long does the Transfer desk need to pick them up and re-tag to my departing flight?

Thanks, Pilot37
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:52 am

Programs: DL-DM, Hilton-Dia
T4 to T1 transit question

Is it possible to go from T4 to T1 without going through customs and immigration? I will only have carry on baggage.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by 1Banker
Is it possible to go from T4 to T1 without going through customs and immigration? I will only have carry on baggage.
Buses go airside between T2 and T4 and there is no customs/immigration involved. From T2 you can get to T1 via airside as well. Budget about 30 min for all this minimum.
1Banker likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
I suppose like everybody I need to ask the question.

Mrs DJ flying into T1 on Qatar. Flying out of T3 on Singapore. Separate tickets!

So land in T1, proceed to T3. Go to Singapore Airlines transit desk? They get the bags and put them on to the new flight? Seems very easy if that is it.

Confirm she she does not have to clear immigration. Collect bags, change terminal and the re-clear security and check in for new flight?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by energydj
Mrs DJ flying into T1 on Qatar. Flying out of T3 on Singapore. Separate tickets!
So land in T1, proceed to T3. Go to Singapore Airlines transit desk? They get the bags and put them on to the new flight? Seems very easy if that is it.
Confirm she she does not have to clear immigration. Collect bags, change terminal and the re-clear security and check in for new flight?
Yes
energydj likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: Aer Lingus, United, Virgin Atlantic, Qatar
Well it was as others have stated. Mrs DJ got off aircraft in SIN. Changed terminals. Went to SIA transfer desk. Bags sorted and new boarding passed issued.

No problems, very efficient and all good.

She only wished the on-board experience could have been the same!!!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by alexcad
Just an update with an official written response for Changi

As you will be travelling from one Full Service Carrier (Turkish Airlines) to another (Qantas), you can just proceed to Qantas' Transfer desk at your departing terminal to obtain your next journey's boarding pass without having to clear immigration.
If you have any checked bags, do inform the staffs at the transfer desk so that they can arrange to transfer your bags to your onward flight. This service is available even if you are on 2 separate tickets.
Kindly take note that this facilitation is only available for passengers travelling from one Full Service Carrier to another, and is not available for those who are connecting via Low Cost Carriers (e.g AirAsia, Scoot, Jetstar, etc.).
I hope that the information provided clarifies your enquiry. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Hope it helps other people.
Just helped me. Thank you.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 5:27 am

T2 to T4, SQ arrival, Cebu Pacific departure

I am in a similar situation. I arrive SIN at 23:15 from NRT on ANA. Departing flight is at 01:35 on Cebu Pacific, separate ticket. I will have checked luggage.
From what I have researched, I will arrive into T2 and depart from T4. I am thinking Cebu Pacific is not a full-service airline, which means I cannot use a transfer desk?
That means I need to go through immigration, collect bags, and take the land-side inter-terminal shuttle from T2 to T4 (runs every 20 mins at that hour), then checkin with Cebu Pacific at T4.

The time period seems tight to me. From looking at flight status of my arriving flight, it is typically on-time to 30 mins late, almost never early.
Can anyone comment on immigration wait times at around 23:30 in SIN?

Thanks for any advice.
Old Oct 23, 2019, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by djsinc
I am in a similar situation. I arrive SIN at 23:15 from NRT on ANA. Departing flight is at 01:35 on Cebu Pacific, separate ticket. I will have checked luggage.
From what I have researched, I will arrive into T2 and depart from T4. I am thinking Cebu Pacific is not a full-service airline, which means I cannot use a transfer desk?
That means I need to go through immigration, collect bags, and take the land-side inter-terminal shuttle from T2 to T4 (runs every 20 mins at that hour), then checkin with Cebu Pacific at T4.

The time period seems tight to me. From looking at flight status of my arriving flight, it is typically on-time to 30 mins late, almost never early.
Can anyone comment on immigration wait times at around 23:30 in SIN?

Thanks for any advice.
I've taken the later flight multiple times before (nh801 arriving 24:30)

From EF, max delay for past 60 flights on NH803(scheduled arriving 23:25) is 53min, avg 20 min delay

I've had bad luck sometimes on NH801 (remote gate, so bus takes some time but drops you closer. Immigration was really bad some times, long line at least 25min wait

Even if you could do transit transfer desk (skipping immigration), it's still tight?

This page says u need to check-in before midnight, not sure how true it is. Even if it's not, you typically need to check-in 1hr before flight (so 24:35)
https://www.cebupacificair.com/pages...ing-guidelines

Assuming avg delay (23:25+20 min = 23:45. 15min to deplane and find transit counter and get boarding pass before midnight.

I wouldn't take the risk myself

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.