Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Consumer Protection in Singapore? (Hotel Related)

Old Apr 11, 18, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum, B6 Mosiac, AA EXP, AS MVP75K, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Spire,

I had a terrible experience at the Aerotel in Terminal 1 where the power went out at 3am just as I was falling asleep and completing a 30hr journey. Since the power went out, a back up generator initiated and put huge bright lights on in everyoneís room.

Needless to say I could not sleep, and was very mad. I said something at check-out but the employee sort of just laughed it off, and apologized. Then when I got home I wrote emails to Aerotel regarding compensation, and my emails were initially ignored. Then I got annoyed and sent about 15 emails in a row and finally got a response from their General Manager who told me they had to investigate. Mind you this was one month ago. Iíve continued following up with him, and they keep stonewalling me, and saying there is an investigating which I think is utter nonsense. At this point I would like to lodge a complaint with some kind of Singaporean consumer protection board.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Apr 11, 18, 8:01 am

Programs: AC MM E75 , SPG LT Plat
Would you prefer that power went off and there was no back-up power supply?
Just shrug it off to another experience.
Old Apr 11, 18, 10:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz Platinum, Marriott Gold/SPG Lifetime Gold
You received an apology on departure ... what more do you want?
If I were the Aerotel Manager, I'd put you on a Do Not Book List or similar ... you've sent at least 15 emails ... that is just harassment ... and completely disproportionate.
Be glad the back-up generator came on - light, yes and AC.
Old Apr 11, 18, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Those lights are designed to come on with the emergency power. That is because some emergencies mean that there is a fire or other requirement for evacuation. Most would prefer safety over annoyance, but to each his own.

I suspect that you did not receive an apology because none is due and the "investigation" is a polite way of fobbing you off.

Fifteen emails borders on stalking. The property owes you nothing.
Old Apr 11, 18, 8:23 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Simple question - what do you want?

Answer to the thread title - non existent. Here travel agencies take hundreds of thousand dollars from people and then suddenly disappear/close doors and tell people to go and deal with their travel insurance. My wife ordered custom made dress for $400 for her which required 3/4 of the deposit in a fancy shop, dress did not fit, shop refused to alter or return money. Case like this are left and right and you are complaining that lights came on?
Old Apr 11, 18, 11:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Platinum, B6 Mosiac, AA EXP, AS MVP75K, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Spire,
But the fact remains there was no emergency. And they didnít turn the lights off. They are responsible for what goes on in their hotel. Call me old fashioned, but I believe the customer should get what was paid for. The hotel has a responsibility and a duty to guests. So we had huge bright lights, bright like spotlights, on in our rooms preventing sleep. I didnít pay to have a spotlight shown on me at 3am.

Why was the hotel unable to turn the lights off? They have a fiduciary duty to customers to know how to handle cases like these, and make the situation right.

Regarding the e-mail, it was a slight exaggeration on my part by saying 15 times. However, I think itís very rude to ignore a customer who asks you about a past stay, and just stonewall them, and completely ignore them like they donít exist. If they are so in the right, and Iím complaining for no reason, why not write back and at least give me some recognition and say something along the lines of ďsorry but thereís nothing we can do.Ē

I woukd like to be compensated for the hours of sleep missed, and the hours that went by with a spotlight being shown on me for 5 hours. I cannot think of a single customer service oriented business where when things go wrong, the service provider is not at fault. If youíre going to say the hotel isnít responsible, then a broken first class seat isnít the airlines fault, seats malfunction. Itís not the airlines fault when the plane breaks down, parts are prone to break. Itís not the restaurants fault when you find a cockroach in your salad, there are living creatures out there and sometimes they end up in wrong places.
Old Apr 11, 18, 11:45 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Good luck. My prediction - you will not get anything even if you file dispute with the credit card and if you make your fuss loud enough, expect to have problems with your next arrival in Singapore.

Last edited by invisible; Apr 12, 18 at 12:17 am
Old Apr 12, 18, 12:49 am

Programs: Qatar, Turkish, Aeroflot
Originally Posted by NWplatinum View Post
I woukd like to be compensated for the hours of sleep missed, and the hours that went by with a spotlight being shown on me for 5 hours.
It is exactly this kind of attitude which makes a good proportion of the world groan at certain nations. It seems to me that you just want something back for an ever so slight inconvenience no matter how trivial it may be. You could have easily resolved it with an eyemask, for example.
Old Apr 14, 18, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ilcannone View Post
It is exactly this kind of attitude which makes a good proportion of the world groan at certain nations. It seems to me that you just want something back for an ever so slight inconvenience no matter how trivial it may be. You could have easily resolved it with an eyemask, for example.
I think itís easy for you to say ďever so slight inconvenience.Ē You didnt fly for 36 hours, book a hotel to rely on as a way to recharge your life and sleep battery, and then not receive that after paying a hefty sum.

Had a sleep mask been offered I would have happily taken it.
Old Apr 14, 18, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I think you are now coming across as a disgruntled nut after 15 emails.

What is the world coming to when they want compensation for everything. Stuff happens.
Old Apr 14, 18, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!

I think it’s easy for you to say “ever so slight inconvenience.” You didnt fly for 36 hours, book a hotel to rely on as a way to recharge your life and sleep battery, and then not receive that after paying a hefty sum.

What is a hefty sum? US$500?
Old Apr 14, 18, 8:25 pm

Programs: AC E50K, Flying Blue, Accor Gold, ANA, Avios

I think it’s easy for you to say “ever so slight inconvenience.” You didnt fly for 36 hours, book a hotel to rely on as a way to recharge your life and sleep battery, and then not receive that after paying a hefty sum.

Seriously? What kind of person on Flyertalk travels 36 hours by air and does not have their own sleep mask? Either a purchased one or one from an amenity kit? Sounds like you don't know how to pack.

I have never stayed at this transit hotel. A quick look at their rates show they are a cheap hotel. Book a cheap hotel and that's what can happen.
Old Apr 15, 18, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Getting the thread back on topic, what government agency in Singapore deals with consumer protection regarding hotel companies ripping off consumers?
Old Apr 15, 18, 6:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz Platinum, Marriott Gold/SPG Lifetime Gold
Getting the thread back on topic, what government agency in Singapore deals with consumer protection regarding hotel companies ripping off consumers?
There is NO rip-off here. You're basically delusional on this issue. Suggest you find something constructive to focus your energies and move on.
mapleg likes this.
Old Apr 15, 18, 6:53 am

Location: Home:HKG/YYZ Business:YVR, YOW, ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, MNL, SIN
Programs: DL girl's best friend, Lifetime(DL's) SC, AARP, Nexus/GE, APEC(HK)
NWplatinum:

Since you listed a few locales in your handle:

Hong Kong: "too bad"
NYC "$xxt happens"

Search this Thread