Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Changi Airport - Airside check-in/transfer from SilkAir @ T2 to Vietnam Airlines @ T4

Changi Airport - Airside check-in/transfer from SilkAir @ T2 to Vietnam Airlines @ T4

Old Apr 4, 18, 9:01 pm
Original Poster

Greetings all.

This is my first post and I apologise for starting another one of 'these threads' that you all must be so tired of by now. However I can't get a straight answer from anybody, anywhere for this question.

So, essentially, my dilemma is follows. I want to go and see my partner in Vietnam in a few weeks (I'm in Darwin, Australia) and i intend to fly with SilkAir DRW-SIN and then onward to Ho Chi Minh City with Vietnam Airlines SIN-SGN, with exactly 1 hour and 30 minutes between the flights and carry-on baggage only (no check-in luggage)

SilkAir being the regional wing of SIA operates out of T2, while I believe Vietnam Airlines has recently moved it's operations the newly commissioned T4 which, to my knowledge is limited to a shuttle bus service for transfers between T2 and T4.

So my question is as follows, can i arrive in Singapore Airport from a SilkAir flight in T2, transit to T4 via the shuttle bus and once arriving there, use the air-side transfer counters to check-in and acquire my boarding pass for the Vietnam Airlines flight and without needing to go through immigration? Or could the transfer counters in T2 provide me with my Vietnam Airlines boarding pass before commuting to T4?

There's very limited information around on this matter. This website here:

bustravelstation [dot] com/2017/11/09/changi-airport-terminal-4-free-shuttle-bus-service-transfer-between-terminal-4-and-terminal-2-airsidetransit-area/

(replace the [dot] with a real dot)

states that if you have two different booking references from different airlines, you have to clear immigration and check-in on the public side. But i think this is incorrect, because I have personally transferred air-side at Changi from Jetstar to Thai Airways without clearing immigration (carry on baggage only)

I'd just like a clear and concise answer on this matter, I've called both Changi Airport and Vietnam Airlines customer service, to which they both just gave a generic "ask the check-in counter staff at Darwin airport" answer, but honestly they would have no clue regarding this.

The reason I am going to all this trouble is because this option allows me to arrive a full 15 hours earlier than the next option which is with Jetstar, which i tend to avoid travelling with at all costs....

Thanks very much in advance for any information or input.
Old Apr 5, 18, 1:25 am

If this is seperate tickets then any delay could be troublesome for you..
i take it a single ticket through to SGN with Singapore airlines was out if the question?
Old Apr 5, 18, 1:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
You may have a quick and dirty way out. It seems that VN offers online check in up to 24 hours before flight time. Considering you're starting out from Darwin, you ought to be able to do this and have printed boarding pass in hand before setting out. I would strongly suggest you call VN and see if there is any reason why you would not be able to do online check in. Alternatively, it appears that the ground handling agent at Changi for both MI and VN is SATS. This is a hail Mary because normally the transit desks only handle airlines for their specific terminal but maybe the MI agent at the T2 transit desk might be able to help out by issuing your boarding pass as an exception. The number for SATS in Singapore is +65 6542 5555.

This next part is a comment on your prior Changi transit. Further the point the transit desks only handle airlines for their specific terminal, this was not an issue in the past. When there was no T4 this was no problem as going between terminals on airside via Skytrain was easy. For you it was even easier since you were going from 3K to TG; both airlines operate from T1.

In case worse comes to worse, you can enter Singapore legally and check in at T4 from ground side. Note that check in closes 50 minutes before flight time. Knowing Changi, this timing is tight but potentially doable assuming your flight arrives on time and you do some running.

Airline, Check-in Counters - Singapore Changi Airport for the confirmation of SATS as ground handling agent and VN last check in at T4 from ground side.
Old Apr 6, 18, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Unfortunately, I haven't been to T4 yet, but I think this is hardly doable at all. Consider that your DRW flight is on time for gate arrival. You may need up to 10 minutes to get from the gate to immigration. With another 10 minutes of waiting in the immigration queue, that leaves you 20 minutes to a) get landside, find the shuttle to T4 at an unfamiliar airport, b) physically get to T4, c) get to VN check-in counter.

You have slightly better chances if you check in online for VN, but personally, I would only consider a 90-minute cross-terminal transfer only at an airport I am very familiar with, and have full knowledge of how to get there. On separate tickets, I would not consider it at all. With your timing, you only need a 20-minute delay (which can easily be spent holding above Changi because of high traffic) to thwart your plans.

Search this Thread