Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Two airbnb hosts are fined $60000 each

Old Apr 3, 2018, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

Guess AirBnB in Singapore is officially over. And they fined not people who offered their properties at HDB, but provate condos.
Old Apr 3, 2018, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Guess AirBnB in Singapore is officially over. And they fined not people who offered their properties at HDB, but provate condos.
I assume AirBnB is paying those fines?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrazyInteg
Nice sarcasm.
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:24 pm

No, the fines are against the 2 Singaporean hosts.

"The two men, 35-year-old Terence Tan En Wei and 34-year-old Yao Song Liang, 34, pleaded guilty in February for letting four units in a condominium for less than six months without permission from the Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA). They were charged in December last year."

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...tting-10098578
Old Apr 9, 2018, 12:11 pm

Sorry, I had forgotten about this thread. I was serious with my first reply, of AirBnB paying the fine.

After the incident I did some googling, but could not find an answer. The rule mentions six months. Does that mean one customer must stay in the residence for at least 6 months, or does it mean any combination of people can stay there, but they need to stay for a combination of up to 6 months?

I just picked some random dates this year, for 4 night stays, and there are hundreds of rooms available in Singapore on AirBnB.
Old Apr 9, 2018, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Sorry, I had forgotten about this thread. I was serious with my first reply, of AirBnB paying the fine.

After the incident I did some googling, but could not find an answer. The rule mentions six months. Does that mean one customer must stay in the residence for at least 6 months, or does it mean any combination of people can stay there, but they need to stay for a combination of up to 6 months?

I just picked some random dates this year, for 4 night stays, and there are hundreds of rooms available in Singapore on AirBnB.
By law, rental of private properties for less than 3 month is not allowed. And yes, if you for example have 2 month internship in the city and your place of employment/study does not provide lodging, then you have stay in hotels by the rule of law.

As far as renting AirBnB in Singapore - if you are a guest, as I see right now maximum you are risking is that you and your stuff is thrown on street. It is the host which has much more at stake here.
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

I wonder what it was that Terry and his mate did wrong to get picked on ? Just a random choice to set an example, or did they forget to pay someone off?

Who knows, maybe corruption in Singapore is closer to the surface than we imagined
Old Apr 11, 2018, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I wonder what it was that Terry and his mate did wrong to get picked on ? Just a random choice to set an example
This.

Authorities way to deal with problems can be expressed as 'shooting sparrows from a canon'. Multiple cases of such approach:
- chewing gum,
- Zuok club and Clarke Quay
- Result of Little India rioting - banning alcohol sale in the whole country after 10:30PM and designating certain areas completely alcohol free
- clean-up of Gaylang
- Finally: consequence of last year's arrest of several dozen women from Russia/xSU countries for prostitution - now travel agencies have following clause on their page:

Last edited by invisible; Apr 11, 2018 at 11:22 pm
Old Apr 12, 2018, 2:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
This..
Thanks! So that's a pour encourager les autres approach. Poor old Terry and mate.

Yikes! I'd hope some representation by the national authorities concerned has been made either to their Singapore counterparts, and/or to the agencies peddling and publishing such offensive nonsense.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:18 am
Original Poster

Yikes! I'd hope some representation by the national authorities concerned has been made either to their Singapore counterparts, and/or to the agencies peddling and publishing such offensive nonsense.
I am 100% sure that no such thing was done. When I contacted this agency to process tourist visa for my brother (which obviously is not a female) for two week visit of Singapore, I was told that person who comes to Singapore for two weeks 'is not a tourist' and it was told them by ICA.

When I asked them what is their definition of 'tourist' - as a person who needs to get a visa to come to Singapore, I was told that is is a person who comes to stay for no more than three days and such person needs to provide list of all museums and other venues hi/she plans to visit. Long story of BS told - they, the travel agency refused to submit visa application for my brother. I simply asked my coworker and it was done in one day and for 1/3 of the price travel agency charged.

But putting above aside, you'll get and idea...
Old Apr 12, 2018, 7:19 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I wonder what it was that Terry and his mate did wrong to get picked on ? Just a random choice to set an example, or did they forget to pay someone off?
Possibly this

Originally Posted by http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/airbnb-hosts-who-made-illegal-short-term-home-rentals-fined-60000-each
In deciding on the fine, the judge said there were several aggravating factors, such as the duo’s pre-meditation to be a profit-driven enterprise, advertising their d’Leedon condominium units in Farrer Road which they had subletted on portals like Airbnb or Homeaway.

As former real estate agents – their licenses have since been revoked – they also should have known that short-term stays were illegal, he said.
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:33 am

As former real estate agents – their licenses have since been revoked – they also should have known that short-term stays were illegal, he said.
Wow!
Old Apr 14, 2018, 12:20 am
Original Poster

In deciding on the fine, the judge said there were several aggravating factors, such as the duo’s pre-meditation to be a profit-driven enterprise
Is not that ironic, considering that government brands the country in this matter?...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.