Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Suite at MO or Pacific Harbour Room at Pan Pacific?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Almost anything with six to twelve steps...

We are going to spend four nights in Singapore in December.

We can get either a City Suite (Breakfast, no Club Access) at the Mandarin Oriental or a Pacific Harbour Room (i.e. View + Club Access) at the Pan Pacific for essentially the same price (a little under EUR 300 per night all in).

The MO offer includes a room upgrade (based on availability upon check-in) and some spa/dining credits (any idea what the category the upgrade could result in?). Pan Pacific also offers an upgrade for direct bookings but AFAIK it does not apply above Panoramic Rooms and probably does not come into play here.

Can someone with experience with these properties comment and perhaps recommend as to which is the better option? This is a leisure trip and main objectives are comfort and convenience.

Cheers,
T.

Last edited by Thalassa; Mar 18, 2018 at 2:48 am Reason: Formatting
Old Mar 18, 2018, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Did you look in here ... Which hotel in Singapore? ... reviews and pictures from both properties ... and Westin Singapore vs Mandarin Oriental
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Did you look in here ... Which hotel in Singapore? ... reviews and pictures from both properties ... and Westin Singapore vs Mandarin Oriental
I did, thank you. I did not quite find the info I was looking for so I decided to try my luck.

Cheers,
T.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL GM
I love the Pan Pacific so it would almost always be my preference unless there was a huge difference in rates or status/upgrades elsewhere. I have status within the Discovery program, which is another tiebreaker in favor of the Pan Pacific for me personally. The Pan Pacific is usually very good about upgrades when booking direct, though I typically book a Pacific Harbour Studio outright just to make sure I get it.

I think the big thing is how important club access is to you. The Pan Pacific club level is nice but doesn't offer a ton and in all honesty, there is no reason to spend time in a club room when you're in Singapore and can throw a rock any direction and hit incredible food and drink for a couple SGD. I always think I'm going to stop into the club for a drink and some snacks before dinner, but I rarely end up doing it. I don't bother with free breakfasts in Singapore either, I have a finite amount of stomach room that can't be wasted on a western breakfast.

Everything else is about equal in terms of location, distance to MRT, distance to sights, etc. MO water views will be almost entirely unobstructed but those high floor rooms at the Pan Pacific are high enough to have a pretty great view, including all the way out to the Strait.

I think if the price is equal, you can't really go wrong. I know that isn't particularly helpful but if comfort and convenience are your deciding factors, they're almost identical.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
I love the Pan Pacific so it would almost always be my preference unless there was a huge difference in rates or status/upgrades elsewhere. I have status within the Discovery program, which is another tiebreaker in favor of the Pan Pacific for me personally. The Pan Pacific is usually very good about upgrades when booking direct, though I typically book a Pacific Harbour Studio outright just to make sure I get it.

I think the big thing is how important club access is to you. The Pan Pacific club level is nice but doesn't offer a ton and in all honesty, there is no reason to spend time in a club room when you're in Singapore and can throw a rock any direction and hit incredible food and drink for a couple SGD. I always think I'm going to stop into the club for a drink and some snacks before dinner, but I rarely end up doing it. I don't bother with free breakfasts in Singapore either, I have a finite amount of stomach room that can't be wasted on a western breakfast.

Everything else is about equal in terms of location, distance to MRT, distance to sights, etc. MO water views will be almost entirely unobstructed but those high floor rooms at the Pan Pacific are high enough to have a pretty great view, including all the way out to the Strait.

I think if the price is equal, you can't really go wrong. I know that isn't particularly helpful but if comfort and convenience are your deciding factors, they're almost identical.
Thanks. While this does not necesarily make the choice much easier, it is good to know that both options are good.

Cheers,
T.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.