Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

At SIN popping in to the lounge without flying could land you in jail...

Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM

Saw this while checking in to a flight at SIN today. A bit more extreme than having Altitude benefits suspended.

Paging DrunkCargo and canadiancow.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
It must be a pretty good lounge if they have to go to these measures to keep people out
Old Mar 10, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
SQ has very nice lounges but I think it probably has to do with you clear immigration before heading to the gates and there's probably people with visas that require them to leave every so often and they would go to the airport and "leave" without leaving then go back through customs/immigration.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Medallion
They've had this problem for a while where people buy refundable tickets and go to the lounge everyday, eat and drink, then change their tickets for the following day, on the way out. There was a similar issue with Frankfurt as well. The key words are "no intention". How can they police that....well, I guess after a week they could
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

As this isn't an Air Canada topic it's been moved to the Asia forum for further discussion.

tcook052
Air Canada forum moderator
Old Mar 10, 2018, 6:39 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
This topic belongs to Singapore forum.

There were several cases in last couple of years at Changi lounges which made headlines here. You can google ‘singlet uncle Priority Pass’ and ‘changi lounge photoshop’ and read these news articles - it will give you an idea.

But what you see on photo is typical/standard Singapore type of reaction on a problem from government, AKA ‘shooting sparrows from a canon’. The same type of reaction was after riots in Little India in 2013, Zuok club/stuff going on at Clarke Quay after midnight and obviously chewing gum.

But discussing those is probably off topic here. Just don’t go to Changi for lounging unless you have flight the same day.

Last edited by invisible; Mar 10, 2018 at 8:41 am
Old Mar 10, 2018, 9:01 am

OP is incorrect...

there is a landside lounge at T3, The Haven by Jetquay
https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loun...8-70c893192ac6

I believe you still need a boarding pass to access lounge, but it's pre-security
Old Mar 10, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
This has been going on for years. It's not just for lounges - people have been caught going airside just to see celebrities or meet friends/relatives.

Not sure what the "minimum" time is, but I've been flagged for doing a SIN-CGK-SIN turnaround, though after flashing both BPs they let me go. I wonder if they have a more sophisticated system which actually tracks whether you actually boarded the flight, or if it's purely based on time.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 11:52 am

More arrested for misuse of boarding passes at Changi airport, Singapore News & Top Stories - The Straits Times

Per this article, these signs have been up since at least last year.

Yet, people still seem to be using them to gain quick access to the airside area for various reasons:
https://sg.news.yahoo.com/women-arre...065015800.html

The article also mentions that Changi officials are alerted when someone misses their flight. SChris, not sure why you got pulled aside, given your name shouldn’t have been there… perhaps just as a precaution?

Last edited by crackjack; Mar 12, 2018 at 6:05 pm
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by SilverChris
I wonder if they have a more sophisticated system which actually tracks whether you actually boarded the flight, or if it's purely based on time.
Not sure if SIN requires APIS from the airlines like the US does, but if they do, then it would be trivial to detect that your name/passport wasn't on the manifest of any inbound flight (or outbound flight that got cancelled), regardless of time.

Last edited by Ryu2; Sep 9, 2019 at 11:01 am
Old Sep 10, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Depending on which terminal you use, you don't reach security until you get to the gate.(There is cursory security prior to immigration). I wonder if this chap cleared security at the gate and was the only one left at the sterile gate and this is how he was detected.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Glad to see.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.