Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Hotel with NY fireworks view

Hotel with NY fireworks view

Old Mar 8, 18, 7:50 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,124
Hotel with NY fireworks view

I am trying to decide where to watch fireworks next year and SIN is on the list. We covered bkk, hkg and kul in the past - can anyone comment how sin compares?
A few years back we accidentally watched a great display there that was a practice ahead of some sort of major event (it was around summer). We stayed at the fairmont but it seems to be blocked for ny 2019 - what are other good hotel options for the purpose?
azepine00 is offline  
Old Mar 9, 18, 12:14 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 4,728
I guess money is not issue?
invisible is offline  
Old Mar 9, 18, 4:58 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,124
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
I guess money is not issue?
some premium is expected but securing the view with points (or paying reasonable upsell to view rooms) would be most preferred... as a reference suites at GH HK and KL booked with points were perfect for that purpose.. i recall paying $100 or so upsell at BKK Hilton and ROS to secure riverview..
If SIN proves to be prohibitively expensive i'll prob just do KUL or BKK again...
azepine00 is offline  
Old Mar 9, 18, 8:48 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 4,728
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
some premium is expected but securing the view with points (or paying reasonable upsell to view rooms) would be most preferred... as a reference suites at GH HK and KL booked with points were perfect for that purpose.. i recall paying $100 or so upsell at BKK Hilton and ROS to secure riverview..
If SIN proves to be prohibitively expensive i'll prob just do KUL or BKK again...
No idea about points because AFAIK none of the hotels you've mentioned are next to Marina Bay. These hotel which are, expect to pay $400/night and up if you want to stay at Marina Bay. Your options are pretty much Fullerton Hotel, Fullerton Bay Hotel, Marina Bay sands - closest to Marina Bay, Swisshotel (farther away) as well Ritz and Mandarin Oriental. None of them are cheaper than $250/night and for NY and especially facing Marina Bay on high floors expect to pay 2x-3x of standard price.
invisible is offline  
Old Mar 10, 18, 10:45 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,124
I cam across this review
https://www.skyscanner.com.sg/news/hotels/staycation-singapore-where-to-watch-fireworks-spend-your-new-years/

From that list jw, pan pacific, westin or fairmont may work from rates and/or points prospective - any pros or cons for any of those?
azepine00 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 18, 8:02 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 4,728
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
I cam across this review
https://www.skyscanner.com.sg/news/h...our-new-years/

From that list jw, pan pacific, westin or fairmont may work from rates and/or points prospective - any pros or cons for any of those?
Well, Pan Pacific is the closest but it really matters on which floor are you or moreover - if you can get access to one of these rooftop areas. With Pan Pacific AFAIK you have to stay at certain rooms to get access to lounge/rooftop areas.

P.S. Or you can stay at way more cheaper hotel somewhere in the middle but get to City Gallery at 11PM and go to 5th floor at Smoke and Mirrors at 11:30PM and watch from there for free.
invisible is offline  
Old Mar 11, 18, 7:46 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,124
Originally Posted by invisible View Post
Well, Pan Pacific is the closest but it really matters on which floor are you or moreover - if you can get access to one of these rooftop areas. With Pan Pacific AFAIK you have to stay at certain rooms to get access to lounge/rooftop areas.

P.S. Or you can stay at way more cheaper hotel somewhere in the middle but get to City Gallery at 11PM and go to 5th floor at Smoke and Mirrors at 11:30PM and watch from there for free.
Sorry should have mentioned from the beginning - going with kids who are still too young to last - hence hotel room (or perhaps lounge) view search...
azepine00 is offline  
Old Mar 12, 18, 3:12 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 4,728
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Sorry should have mentioned from the beginning - going with kids who are still too young to last - hence hotel room (or perhaps lounge) view search...
Try your luck then. If you can get in writing that the room room you are going to get faces Marina Bay, it would be great but I doubt they will.

At the end: key for happiness - now expectations. It that works - great. If not, at least try to have great time.
invisible is offline  
Old Mar 13, 18, 4:24 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: somewhere north of London, UK
Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Posts: 15,243
You might want to try and dig out offers like this...

https://www.panpacific.com/en/hotels...y-the-bay.html

Also just mail the hotels directly - I've found them very responsive. You may however be a shade early for many of these packages.

Note that historically many SG hotels had strict minimum ages for lounge access. This may have been relaxed in the last few years, but do check it out.
Swiss Tony is offline  
Old Mar 13, 18, 8:47 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 4,728
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony View Post
You might want to try and dig out offers like this....
Ahem, that link offers following:
  • Average Daily Rate
    SGD 640.00
    (Subject to GST and service charge)
So something like $730 per night with taxes/fees. Exactly as I said how much would it cost for NY timeframe. And seems OP is not willing to pay anything remotely close to that amount.
invisible is offline  
Old Mar 18, 18, 10:44 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: LAX
Posts: 9,124
Noticed yesterday that Fairmont harborview room availability opened up which i secured by booking premier room with room upgrade cert applied. It ended up appr USD350/nt all in.

Designed to indulge the senses, delight in the lush comfort of the spacious Deluxe View Rooms, whilst taking in magnificent vistas of the charming Marina Bay from the privacy of your balcony.



azepine00 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread