Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why can't I drink the water?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Smile Why can't I drink the water?

I forgot I had a small bottle of water in my laptop bag ... so this was promptly confiscated at the gate (although they offered to return the bottle after draining it)

Not a biggie, but I was surprised they wouldn't let me drink from the bottle before it was confiscated.

Just curious why I couldn't drink the water.

I wasn't inconvenienced in any way, so this isn't a rant
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Well, probably they did not want you to commit suicide in front of them...

Jokes aside - was it in Changi?
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:25 pm

Smile

That's because it was Nuwater. Made from sewage/effluent water.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Well, probably they did not want you to commit suicide in front of them...

Jokes aside - was it in Changi?
Yes. Bottle was from the Silver Kris lounge
Old Jan 17, 2018, 5:17 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
No reason. In MAD I was allowed to drink the water, in ZRH I wasn't even allowed to touch the bottle in case I activated the secret combustion function, and in FRA the screener claimed he was not allowed to touch the bottle in case he activated the secret combustion function. At LHR they didn't see the bottle on the x-ray, and I didn't notice until it was discovered before my next flight. And you can take as many liquids as you like on domestic flights in certain countries.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:14 pm

That's one thing that has always puzzled me in Australia is the LAGS rules. International they are incredibly strict yet domestic I can take whatever liquids I like as carry on. Surely it's not just intl flights that are at risk of someone taking on something that could endanger the plane?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 9:56 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Australian airports are equipped with more sophisticated scanners which can image the type of liquid in that bottle, so the endangerment of the plane is avoided using investment in technology. Other international airports are not similarly equipped and don't identify the type of liquid contents, hence the difference in rules. I've looked into this a fair bit, and it isn't just liquids that the scanners in Oz screen out ... making for much safer travel in Australia compared to USA or Europ, etc. Don't believe it? Try smuggling other contraband such as a jet lighter through a scanner at an Australian airport.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:20 am

Smile reply

most probably because it is a secruity check haha?
Old Feb 6, 2018, 6:54 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Reminds me of a time when a passenger at the front of the line decided to take his time drinking his bottle of water, which was delaying the process of everyone else in the same line going through security.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp
Reminds me of a time when a passenger at the front of the line decided to take his time drinking his bottle of water, which was delaying the process of everyone else in the same line going through security.
couldn't you just passed him/her? I wouldn't let anyone delaying my boarding like that
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Probably didn't want you holding up the line.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:25 pm

No doubt that Changi airport has a very tight security.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 2:30 pm

Programs: Thai ROP GOLD, SIA Silver Kris, QANTAS FF, Velocity Rewards, Emirates Skywards
Odd post. If they won't let you drink it in the line, simply move back from the security area and drink it. Regardless of the instruction at the front of the queue, if you really want to drink the rest of your water go and drink it.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 10:06 pm

I was flying out of singapore yesterday, forgot about the water bottle and remembered this post.... the guy asked me if I wanted to drink water before he throwed away... I did take a sip and gave back to him, so it most be a different rule interpretation from agent to agent...
clubeurope likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:14 pm

Well, Singapore is one of the safest countries in Asia, what do we expect?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.