FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Why can't I drink the water? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1888793-why-cant-i-drink-water.html)

malgudi Jan 16, 2018 5:25 pm

Why can't I drink the water?

I forgot I had a small bottle of water in my laptop bag ... so this was promptly confiscated at the gate (although they offered to return the bottle after draining it)

Not a biggie, but I was surprised they wouldn't let me drink from the bottle before it was confiscated.

Just curious why I couldn't drink the water.

I wasn't inconvenienced in any way, so this isn't a rant ;)

invisible Jan 16, 2018 7:03 pm

Well, probably they did not want you to commit suicide in front of them...

Jokes aside - was it in Changi?

jf123 Jan 16, 2018 8:25 pm

That's because it was Nuwater. Made from sewage/effluent water.

malgudi Jan 17, 2018 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by invisible (Post 29301797)
Well, probably they did not want you to commit suicide in front of them...

Jokes aside - was it in Changi?

Yes. Bottle was from the Silver Kris lounge :)

:D! Jan 17, 2018 5:17 pm

No reason. In MAD I was allowed to drink the water, in ZRH I wasn't even allowed to touch the bottle in case I activated the secret combustion function, and in FRA the screener claimed he was not allowed to touch the bottle in case he activated the secret combustion function. At LHR they didn't see the bottle on the x-ray, and I didn't notice until it was discovered before my next flight. And you can take as many liquids as you like on domestic flights in certain countries.

Firemansam Jan 17, 2018 7:14 pm

That's one thing that has always puzzled me in Australia is the LAGS rules. International they are incredibly strict yet domestic I can take whatever liquids I like as carry on. Surely it's not just intl flights that are at risk of someone taking on something that could endanger the plane?

number_6 Jan 17, 2018 9:56 pm

Australian airports are equipped with more sophisticated scanners which can image the type of liquid in that bottle, so the endangerment of the plane is avoided using investment in technology. Other international airports are not similarly equipped and don't identify the type of liquid contents, hence the difference in rules. I've looked into this a fair bit, and it isn't just liquids that the scanners in Oz screen out ... making for much safer travel in Australia compared to USA or Europ, etc. Don't believe it? Try smuggling other contraband such as a jet lighter through a scanner at an Australian airport.

varnerbyron Feb 4, 2018 1:20 am

most probably because it is a secruity check haha?

Jimgotkp Feb 6, 2018 6:54 am

Reminds me of a time when a passenger at the front of the line decided to take his time drinking his bottle of water, which was delaying the process of everyone else in the same line going through security.

fivenue Feb 10, 2018 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp (Post 29385355)
Reminds me of a time when a passenger at the front of the line decided to take his time drinking his bottle of water, which was delaying the process of everyone else in the same line going through security.

couldn't you just passed him/her? I wouldn't let anyone delaying my boarding like that

FN-GM Feb 10, 2018 1:56 pm

Probably didn't want you holding up the line.

jakebarrell Mar 22, 2018 11:25 pm

No doubt that Changi airport has a very tight security.

seavisionburma Mar 26, 2018 2:30 pm

Odd post. If they won't let you drink it in the line, simply move back from the security area and drink it. Regardless of the instruction at the front of the queue, if you really want to drink the rest of your water go and drink it.

LoungeBum Apr 12, 2018 10:06 pm

I was flying out of singapore yesterday, forgot about the water bottle and remembered this post.... the guy asked me if I wanted to drink water before he throwed away... I did take a sip and gave back to him, so it most be a different rule interpretation from agent to agent...

Charlene0116 Apr 19, 2018 10:14 pm

Well, Singapore is one of the safest countries in Asia, what do we expect?