FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Why can't I drink the water? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1888793-why-cant-i-drink-water.html)

Harry Andersen May 23, 18 2:31 am

They probably thought you were downing vodka?

yrs May 23, 18 3:44 am

Perhaps an odd experience. Not the norm.

dhuey May 28, 18 4:23 pm

Although this is not the OP's question, I'll ask in this thread something about the tap water in Singapore. When I checked into my hotel in March, the front desk clerk advised me, an American, not to drink the tap water. I was a bit surprised. Everything about Singapore's infrastructure seems to be top-notch. Is the tap water anything less than that? Perhaps it is, but nonetheless there is something about the difference in microorganisms that make it through the filters that upsets the stomachs of those from far away. I have no idea -- that's why I ask such questions.

PsiFighter37 Jun 2, 18 10:06 am

Originally Posted by dhuey (Post 29803080)
Although this is not the OP's question, I'll ask in this thread something about the tap water in Singapore. When I checked into my hotel in March, the front desk clerk advised me, an American, not to drink the tap water. I was a bit surprised. Everything about Singapore's infrastructure seems to be top-notch. Is the tap water anything less than that? Perhaps it is, but nonetheless there is something about the difference in microorganisms that make it through the filters that upsets the stomachs of those from far away. I have no idea -- that's why I ask such questions.

A friend who was born/raised in Singapore said it is perfectly fine to drink the tap water there. I never ended up doing it because the Fairmont oversupplied me with water bottles every day :)

tide Jun 3, 18 9:57 pm

Although this is not the OP's question, I'll ask in this thread something about the tap water in Singapore. When I checked into my hotel in March, the front desk clerk advised me, an American, not to drink the tap water....

I second the previous comment. Singapore tap water is safe to drink and Singaporeans I've met are very proud of this. However, very few Singaporeans work in the hotel service industry so this is perhaps why you got a different opinion.

fumje Jul 10, 18 2:54 pm

I drank the water on previous visits and had no problem. Also never heard such advice. Perhaps it was offered out of an extreme abundance of caution.

I will be back again soon and intend to drink the water again. :)

clubeurope Jul 15, 18 7:27 am

I agree with the two posters above, water in Singapore is drinkable and actually tastes great!

Many hotel employees in Singapore come from other countries, and may be new to SG, and may not provide the most accurate responses. In particular, I've found it to be the case that they are hiring people mainly hailing from Mainland China.

s0ssos Jul 16, 18 9:23 pm

If you want to know more about the water, you can visit the NEWater plant. They give tours, and it is very informative. Many places have water processing plants but I don't know about tours (Orange County, California also has tours)

KimDDD Aug 7, 18 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 29301550)
I forgot I had a small bottle of water in my laptop bag ... so this was promptly confiscated at the gate (although they offered to return the bottle after draining it)

Not a biggie, but I was surprised they wouldn't let me drink from the bottle before it was confiscated.

Just curious why I couldn't drink the water.

I wasn't inconvenienced in any way, so this isn't a rant ;)

that is a bit random indeed... iíve forgotten about bottles in my bag in the past but was always allowed to drink them. which country was this in?