Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Arrivd 7:30pm SIN- enough time for Hawker Center?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2018, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since

My daughter and I will be returned through SIN, arrive 7:30pm, leaving next morning at 11am. Any recommendations for Hawker Center area with reasonable hotels nearby? We'll be arriving on a Tuesday, if that makes a difference in terms of how late place would be open. I'm assuming for an 11am flight, probably need to be on the way about 7:30am.

Obviously this has to be efficient (hotel very near to Hawker Center and not too far from the airport). This will be first time to a Singapore food court, so would like to make it a good one. :-)

Thanks!
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Do I understand correctly that you have not booked hotel yet?

Most good hawker centers are away from downtown core where hotels concentrate. But if you are at your hotel by 8:30 you can grab taxi and go to the recommended ones.

If you insist to have hawker center next to your hotel than Changi Village hawker center is probably the only reasonable option which has hotel across the road.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 7:58 pm
formerly gantid

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Platinum, Marriott Platinum elite, *G, Hilton Gold
Newton Hawker center is decent enough and it is close enough (a quick taxi ride) to a number of hotels nearby that are reasonable. There is Sheraton (near Netwon Flyover area) about $150-$200.

As invisible mentioned, there are very few choices for hotels very close to a hawker center.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 8:07 pm

Bedok Blk 85 is a hawker centre which opens till late night. It ia about a 10 min cab ride from the airport. You can choose to stay at the airport, or the nearest hotels are those in the Joo Chiat area (Indigo Katong, Holiday Inn Express, Grand Mercure) or Changi Expo area. I would recommend the Joo Chiat area as there is more late night activity, also if you wake up early enough, you can walk to the Marine Parade market for breakfast before heading to the airport. Marine Parade is a day market, so nothing much to eat there at night.

Tuesday should be fine in terms of opening hours as most markets and hawker centres are closed on Monday.

For an 11am flight, I will leave at 9-9.15am, assuming you choose to stay in the Joo Chiat area, aiming to reach the airport by latest 9.30am.

Last edited by SQ319; Jan 14, 2018 at 8:15 pm
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Great info, thanks! No, haven't yet booked the hotel. Normally I'd book something near an MRT line, since I'm a fan of transit, but looks like that's not the fastest way to get into and out of Changi due to the transfer situation. Odd thing, that, until I realize that's kinda the way our BART system to SFO works.

Won't be looking to do anything other than sleep after dinner.

I do realize Changi is an amazingly-efficient airport but still plan to be there at least two hours prior to flight. Just the way I am. Flown through quite a few times so I do know how great an airport it is, while, conversely, the *A lounges for passengers in Y aren't so hot.

Also got to figure out if it's worthwhile to reserve a few hours in the Transit hotel on the outbound (arrive 7:30am I think, and leave for REP about 3pm). If I were actually able to sleep on the long flight over, I could just shower and do one of the free city tours, but I haven't yet been able to sleep in Y. I even have trouble sleeping in biz.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky
I do realize Changi is an amazingly-efficient airport but still plan to be there at least two hours prior to flight. Just the way I am. Flown through quite a few times so I do know how great an airport it is, while, conversely, the *A lounges for passengers in Y aren't so hot.
Then you can leave at 8.30am to get there by 9am, even from the city centre. 30 minutes is more than sufficient time from the city centre to the airport with some time to spare. In fact I usually plan for a 30 min ride from my home at the western part of Singapore to the airport.
Old Jan 14, 2018, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by washingtonian_2017
Newton Hawker center
'Friends don't let friends to go to Newton Hawker Center' (C) local expresion.
This is the only place number of local people would tell you NOT to go. For enough reasons.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
If all you want to do s Hawker Centre and sleep, I would be very tempted to stay at the Crowne Plaza in T3 (assume you're on SQ or UA)?

No hauling bags and the widest choice of eating venues - just grab a taxi & go!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL GM
My daughter and I will be returned through SIN, arrive 7:30pm, leaving next morning at 11am. Any recommendations for Hawker Center area with reasonable hotels nearby? We'll be arriving on a Tuesday, if that makes a difference in terms of how late place would be open. I'm assuming for an 11am flight, probably need to be on the way about 7:30am.

Obviously this has to be efficient (hotel very near to Hawker Center and not too far from the airport). This will be first time to a Singapore food court, so would like to make it a good one. :-)

Thanks!
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
If all you want to do s Hawker Centre and sleep, I would be very tempted to stay at the Crowne Plaza in T3 (assume you're on SQ or UA)?

No hauling bags and the widest choice of eating venues - just grab a taxi & go!
I second this idea if all you want to do is eat at a hawker centre and then sleep, just stay at the Crowne Plaza and take a taxi wherever you want to go. MRT stops running around midnight and dealing with the transfer and baggage each way just isn't worth whatever money you'll save. The taxi shouldn't be much more than S$25 each way, less if you stick close to the airport, more between midnight and 0600.

Check-in, head downstairs to get a cab (or alternatively go to the taxi stand at T3 which is what I usually do) and head to whichever hawker centre you want to partake in. When you've eaten your fill, take a taxi back and get a full night of sleep before walking over to the terminal for your flight. I'm not sure what the best late night hawker centre options are, but I'm sure others can chime in. The last time I was at SIN, immigration took well over an hour, but even if that happens it shouldn't impact your schedule too much.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
I second this idea if all you want to do is eat at a hawker centre and then sleep, just stay at the Crowne Plaza and take a taxi wherever you want to go. MRT stops running around midnight and dealing with the transfer and baggage each way just isn't worth whatever money you'll save. The taxi shouldn't be much more than S$25 each way, less if you stick close to the airport, more between midnight and 0600.

Check-in, head downstairs to get a cab (or alternatively go to the taxi stand at T3 which is what I usually do) and head to whichever hawker centre you want to partake in. When you've eaten your fill, take a taxi back and get a full night of sleep before walking over to the terminal for your flight. I'm not sure what the best late night hawker centre options are, but I'm sure others can chime in. The last time I was at SIN, immigration took well over an hour, but even if that happens it shouldn't impact your schedule too much.
I was hoping to spend a bit less than the $226 for a night at the Crowne Plaza. :-)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:05 pm

I was hoping to spend a bit less than the $226 for a night at the Crowne Plaza. :-)
Then and Bugis area hotels (see the parallel thread), which would be around $100-$120 and you can use taxi to get to Upper Boon Keng Market & Food Centre or some other nearby which are open till late.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: DL GM
You have to ask yourself if the $50-100 (if that) you might save staying somewhere downtown is worth the effort of dragging your bags downtown, getting checked in, and then having to be up much earlier the following morning to get back to the airport. Especially if all you want to do is eat at a hawker centre. Obviously if you want to do a bit more sight seeing late that night or early the next morning, then that changes things.

Either way, I think your best bet is to figure out which hawker centre(s) will be open that time of night, which you want to see and then go from there, you may find the hotels in the immediate area around that particular centre aren't any cheaper.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 7:22 pm

Wife and I stayed at the scarlet hotel in Chinatown. Literally 50 metres from Maxwell hawker centre. Nice room and only 30 mins from airport
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: QF SG(LTS) - AA LTG(1MM)
Ibis Novena and Ramada Zhongshan are walking distance to a reasonable hawker center Balestier Market with assorted other restaurants nearby. Airport taxi can avoid downtown traffic in the morning.

Or get a taxi (or the 145 bus) from the hotel to the ICA building at the Lavender MRT station. Ex-airport is a bit trickier as the 145 bus stop is around the corner on Lavender and not obvious when you exit the MRT station.

Happy wandering
Fred
Old Jan 22, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Hope this isn't too late....

I'd suggest staying at the Dorsett Singapore hotel provided the rate is within budget. It's new, and is a reasonable walk from the Outram Park East-West line station (the airport line). Once you're checked in, it's not too far from the Maxwell Road hawker center, and is in the middle of Chinatown if you still have some energy. The Dorsett claims they're +/- 33 minutes away from Changi Airport, and most of the East West line is above ground so there will be things to see. The interchange between the main East-West line and the Changi airport spur line is a twenty foot walk across a platform and trains are reasonably frequent, so that's easy. And the wait for the trains is minimal.

You have one other shot at a hawker center, or a near approximation of one. At the far end of Terminal 1 in the basement there's a staff canteen that is open to the public. It's pretty busy most of the time, there's a lot of choices and the prices are reasonable by local standards. There's a similar staff canteen in Terminal 2 but have to walk through a parking structure to get to that one.

In terms of getting in and out of the airport, if not the MRT or a cab, know that Uber operates here, as well as its local competitor Grab.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.