Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

0040h arrival at SIN- which transit hotel?

0040h arrival at SIN- which transit hotel?

Old Jan 18, 2018, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by protagonist
Response from OP....

You have all pretty much convinced me that the Transit Hotel was probably a mistake, but it is too late since it is non-refundable.

It was not a financial decision. It was a decision of convenience. It seemed like a good idea, if I was to be awake 25 hours flying, to just crash immediately by 1 am or so, sleep as long as I wanted, and wake up refreshed at a reasonable hour in the morning to explore Singapore .

As opposed to arriving in a hotel in Singapore closer to 3 am....possibly later if flight is delayed....waste a good chunk of the next day sleeping and take longer to adapt to the new time zone.

I will only be in Singapore 2 more nights after I arrive before heading to Thailand so I wanted to also maximize my daytime hours. I figured a sleeping pill at 1am would knock me out, regardless of the noise or whatnot at the transit hotel, and I could enjoy a good complimentary breakfast in the airport before hitting the town.

The responses here seem to be nearly universal that I made a mistake. I didn't realize getting into town was so easy and quick. But my reservation is non-refundable, so I am committed. Next time I will consider other options as outlined above.

Thanks.
protagonist
I don't think you made a mistake at all, it is a very popular option that people utilize every day for the exact same reasons you state. The only reason I personally wouldn't do it is because of the bag issue, I just wouldn't be comfortable trusting my bag to still be there, even if that is probably an irrational fear at an airport like SIN. The last time I flew to SIN on that after midnight arrival from Tokyo, it took well over an hour to clear immigration and I was the first person off the plane. I didn't get out of the airport until 2. I was reconsidering my transit hotel stance after that one after 20+ hours on a plane.

You should get a good night of sleep and be good to go bright and early. Make sure you don't sleep on the flight from Tokyo and depending on how quickly sleeping pills go to work on you, you may consider taking it in the final hour of the flight so you aren't waiting for it to kick in.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RumPatrol
I don't think you made a mistake at all, it is a very popular option that people utilize every day for the exact same reasons you state. The only reason I personally wouldn't do it is because of the bag issue, I just wouldn't be comfortable trusting my bag to still be there, even if that is probably an irrational fear at an airport like SIN. The last time I flew to SIN on that after midnight arrival from Tokyo, it took well over an hour to clear immigration and I was the first person off the plane. I didn't get out of the airport until 2. I was reconsidering my transit hotel stance after that one after 20+ hours on a plane.

You should get a good night of sleep and be good to go bright and early. Make sure you don't sleep on the flight from Tokyo and depending on how quickly sleeping pills go to work on you, you may consider taking it in the final hour of the flight so you aren't waiting for it to kick in.
That is exactly my plan. Ambien usually kicks in after about 15-30 mins and it is short acting- doesn't interfere with REM sleep. I take it whenever I do a red eye flight and iit works great. Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Clearly there are two schools of thought for late arrivals into SIN. OP, please do come back to this thread and report your experience.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, HHonors Diamond
I've got a sort of related question... Arriving into SIN in the evening (on a QR flight) and have a separate booking for a flight the next morning SIN > DPS. We'll be hand luggage only and the Transit hotels are far cheaper than the other airport hotels. The other half isn't keen on trekking in to Singapore itself in the evening.. Is it possible to stay in the Transit hotel then go through flgith connections to get the morning flight if I check in online, or do we need to exit through immigration & customs then go back through security in the morning?
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:24 pm

Depending on the airline that your connecting to it shouldn't be a problem, even if you do have to exit and re enter it should take all that long with no checked baggage anyway.
the hotel is a good option, used it twice in T3 in the last month. The bed was a bit hard for me but apart from that the room was very adequate.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
I did the transit hotel many times. Stayed at all 3. Yes it is to save money, $60 for the night vs $200+ downtown. Lots of things to do inside the terminal. Various lounges and a restaurant I could use with the Priority Pass.

Luggage was very safe in "lost luggage" department. Including couple times I arrived on UA and LH with F luggage tags.

Last edited by beep88; Feb 5, 2018 at 4:45 pm
Old Feb 5, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by DangerM55
I've got a sort of related question... Arriving into SIN in the evening (on a QR flight) and have a separate booking for a flight the next morning SIN > DPS. We'll be hand luggage only and the Transit hotels are far cheaper than the other airport hotels. The other half isn't keen on trekking in to Singapore itself in the evening.. Is it possible to stay in the Transit hotel then go through flgith connections to get the morning flight if I check in online, or do we need to exit through immigration & customs then go back through security in the morning?
One time I was told air-side transit was not possible because there was no interline agreement between the 2 airlines concerned. I flew in on LH, and the next day connection was on a LCC.

Also air-side transit is possible only if regular check-in for the connecting flight is open at the time. So for cheap airlines (like UA), you can't use the transit desk until 3 hours before flight departure.
Old Feb 6, 2018, 3:19 am
Original Poster

I stayed at the transit Hotel and if I could get a reservation for the same price and arrived on the same flight I would do it again. The reservations via Chase Ultimate Rewards we're about $70 for a 12 hours stay or about $45 for a six hour stay Plus taxes. My flight was about an hour late so I got in around 1:30 a.m. after traveling about 26 or 27 hours. I only had carry-on luggage. I would only do this with carry-on luggage because if you check out through immigration you would have to go through customs to get back in. But it was very convenient. The room was small but the bed was comfortable and they had good showers. Some people said in reviews that the front desk staff was very rude. I did not find this to be true at all. They were quite helpful. It included a 15 Singapore dollar voucher for food. I took a sleeping pill and woke up refreshed at a reasonable hour. For me it was preferable to having to figure out transportation, change money, deal with immigration etcetera after not sleeping on a long flight. In the morning I took the MRT to my hotel.
RumPatrol likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.