Reload this Page >

Overnight layover family accommodation?

Old Nov 20, 17, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card

Hi

We will have an overnight layover in SIN on our way back to HKG from Australia and were wondering what the best strategy for accommodation is for the layover, considering that we are travelling with young children (5 and 2).

Looking at the SIN website it appears that the transit hotels (a family room in which would be the best bet) can only be accessed from airside. We are travelling from PER (via SYD) to SIN on QF/BA, arriving about 9:30pm on BA016. We then have an 8am departure to HKG on CX710. Despite both being Oneworld flights I understand that BA/QF are unlikely to allow us to interline our luggage onto the CX flight.

Assuming I can't get the baggage interlined, am I able to pass through security, pick up the bags, drop them at the CX desk (or left luggage) then pass through security (I should have my CX boarding pass as you can check in 48 hrs before the flight) to meet my family at the transit hotel? Alternatively, is there anyone I can speak to at the airport to get my baggage interlined - if so, how likely is it that would occur (don't want to book a room in advance then find out I can't use it!!)?

If not, the only option is hotels near to the airport - I looked at rooms at the Crowne Plaza, but they don't offer any sort of family room and all their rooms are max occupancy 3 people. Are there any family friendly hotels (i.e. rooms with beds for 4 people) near to the airport (not fussed about facilities, just want to maximise sleeping time for the kids!)?

Thanks in advance
Old Nov 21, 17, 8:47 pm

Crowne Plaza rooms in the main wing are big enough for fit 2A + 2C, if you don't mind the younger one sharing your king bed, and the older one in an extra bed. The rooms in the main wing are very well maintained despite being older (hotel opened in 2008), but are much bigger than the rooms in the newer Jewel Wing.

Crowne Plaza is not near the airport. It is IN the airport, at Terminal 3, which is accessible via the skytrain. If you luggages are interlined through to your CX flight, you can even walk from T1 to T3 and clear your immigration procedures at T3 instead and walk directly to the Crowne Plaza.
Old Nov 23, 17, 7:42 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

I'ld opt for a king suite at the Crown Plaza. Ask for a rollaway and a crib. Extra space is always helpful.

If it's separate tickets then odds are that interlining will not happen...

IS your route really PER-SYD-SIN-HKG? If these are award tickets I'ld really look for PER-HKG availability.....

FDW
Old Nov 27, 17, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post

IS your route really PER-SYD-SIN-HKG? If these are award tickets I'ld really look for PER-HKG availability.....

FDW
Yes it is - we need the 4 BA segments to keep status with BA (and won't be flying back to the UK before the end of the membership year) which necessitates getting BA15/16 and the relevant domestic codeshares...

Will have a look at booking a King room at the Crowne Plaza. Looks from the SIN airport website that, even if we can't interline our luggage, we can check in our bags up to 24 hrs before the flight at T4, so I suppose it is possible I could exit the airport, drop off bags, then reclear customs to meet the family at one of the transfer hotels?

Search this Thread