Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Are there body scanners in Singapore airports ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are there body scanners in Singapore airports ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: Saudia Alfursan
Depends on which terminal, iirc Terminals 1 and 2 don't have it, saw one at T3 the last time I went though so it would be reasonable to assume that there'd be more at T4
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:20 am

Smile reply

No, only thumbprints and mandatory passport check up
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:10 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Just out of curiosity what medical device cannot take backscatter x-rays but can take magnetic fields of a normal walk through metal detector?
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:10 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by TA
Just out of curiosity what medical device cannot take backscatter x-rays but can take magnetic fields of a normal walk through metal detector?
You have it a little wrong with what you wrote there. Mine cant take Magnetic OR Backscatter, so no MRI at all for me. Only standard Xray or CT only. I am not going to give any details except that my surgeon warned me and i was issued an ID card from Medtronic to stay away from these scanners and its noted in my record I cannot have any MRI. I was actually in ICU last year out of state and they wanted to do an MRI (i was unconscious) and they called the maker of my device when they found the card in my wallet and they told them no way. So even if a very dire situation like that were i literally fighting for my life and they would not let the hospital do it.
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Also to update, I made it through SIN without any issues. I was never asked to go through a backscatter but there was one there. I lined myself up for the Metal detector (which was right beside the backscatter) and no one questioned why. I had my card at the ready if they did. I must say Changi was a very pleasant and easy experience. They are very efficient. The US could learn a thing or two from them.

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Feb 16, 2018 at 5:40 pm
Old Jul 3, 2018, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by crazycrab955
This is utter nonsense.

If you cannot -- or do not wish -- to go through the full-body scan, you can opt out. Lots of folks fall into this category -- medically exempt, pregnant, too young, other issues, etc... No one at Changi is going to freak out if you politely say you are opting out. You will be sent to the regular metal detector and then given a full pat-down/wand exam. This is no different than how the TSA handles it. I know this because I have just spoken to executives at CAG and CAAS and both confirmed that this is the case.

To the OP: travel to Singapore without worry, and enjoy your trip.
I didn't even get the full pat down at T4. For a time, I had an obvious temporary disability, and got walk-through metal detector. I did have issues at check-in, though - I got quite a lot of questions, which ended when I produced a letter from the doctor saying I could fly. My impression was, if I didn't have the letter, I wasn't going to fly. This was a few months ago, and I made four trips to Hong Kong, all from T4. I had to show the letter on three of the four trips. On the fourth, I used the automated features of T4 enough that no human really noticed my disability, so no letter was required. On the return from Hong Kong, no one cared in the slightest - no letter needed.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 4:24 am

They have them at the 'pier' gates at Changi now. Even if they are directing all people into them at slower times (sometimes they have it and regular metal detectors running). I usually just point to the metal detector and walk through it. By the time I've passed through without beeping they don't bother sending you back. Done it 3-4 times so far and never had a question, nor a pat down after. Don't announce you are opting out, just walk through the regular detector.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:31 pm

Just ask for a normal metal detector... no issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.