Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer between UA and SQ flight on two tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Transfer between UA and SQ flight on two tickets

I will be transferring between a United and Singapore Airlines flight. Travel is on two separate tickets. Singapore Airlines flight is operated on Silk Air but the ticket and flight number is Singapore Airlines.

Will United be able to check my bags through to my final destination?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:49 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Most likely no.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
I'd suggest you try anyway. Two options:

1) The easiest option is to see if when you check in with UA you can get the bags tagged all the way to your final destination on MI. If it works, you're all set. (It is possible for two separate tickets to be "joined" for this purpose provided there is no administrative issue preventing this.)

2) The second option assumes you were not able to interline the baggage transfer during check in with UA. In this case, the transfer may be possible in Singapore. What you do upon arrival at SIN is to head straight to the Transfer Desk. This is airside so don't go through passport control/immigration. At the Transfer Desk, get yourself checked into the MI flight, and produce your UA luggage claim check. SIN luggage handling would locate your bag and send it to MI. You can then just go straight to your gate never having gone to ground side. Both UA and MI are in the same terminal so your walk to the next gate will be straightforward.

http://www.changiairport.com/en/pass...e/transit.html
Old Oct 25, 2017, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

@dsgtc0408

Thanks. Wasn't sure the second option was still offered as the transit info on the Changi Airport website mention it at all. I did find it in their FAQ on their website but it took some digging to find it.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I do this all the time (most recently 10 days ago). I’ve never had a problem checking bags through but also have had it confirmed by the MI transfer they will do it for you when you arrive SIN.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by stevel97
I will be transferring between a United and Singapore Airlines flight. Travel is on two separate tickets. Singapore Airlines flight is operated on Silk Air but the ticket and flight number is Singapore Airlines.

Will United be able to check my bags through to my final destination?
No.

UA will not interline for non *A airlines.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by malgudi
Yes.
They do it all the time for me. About 4 R\Ts a year including just last month As long as the ticket has an SQ flight number they don’t seem to know the difference. They even print out the SQ (MI) BP.
If you have any trouble for sure the transit desk in SIN will help you. No need to pass thru immigration.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by chavala

Yes.
They do it all the time for me. About 4 R\Ts a year including just last month As long as the ticket has an SQ flight number they don’t seem to know the difference. They even print out the SQ (MI) BP.
If you have any trouble for sure the transit desk in SIN will help you. No need to pass thru immigration.
Ok ... good to know ^
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:23 am

Programs: AY, SQ, EK
Originally Posted by chavala

Yes.
I have had UA refuse to check my luggage through to SQ. Most recently UA EWR-AMS, then SQ AMS-SIN. Had UA Plat status if that makes any difference. Have also been successful, but as always, service with UA is a random variable.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by nanyang
I have had UA refuse to check my luggage through to SQ. Most recently UA EWR-AMS, then SQ AMS-SIN. Had UA Plat status if that makes any difference. Have also been successful, but as always, service with UA is a random variable.
Hold your ground and make them get a supervisor. If that doesn’t work, make the supervisor call someone to teach them how to do it. Show them the rules from their own website and don’t leave the desk until it’s done. It’s amazing how they will “suddenly” figure it out.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by nanyang
Typical UA! See my post (#385) and the subsequent replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.