Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Best way to ship some souvenirs home to USA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2017, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO 1MM

For most destinations, I'm able to figure out shipping options quickly with just google, but I'm struggling to find solid info for Singapore -> US.

I'd like to ship a few jars/containers of Kaya from here in Singapore to myself back in the US. I believe Kaya to be considered a liquid for carryon purposes, and I'll not be checking a bag this trip.

What's my best shipping path? Do grocery stores sell it in less heavy/breakable containers than glass jars? Any hints on where to buy appropriate packing materials?

Also, if I'm missing an easy alternative to shipping, please say. Is Kaya equivalent to a US product of a different name? (I'm not aware that it is) Are there vendors that will ship for me? Does anyone sell it in marked 100ml containers? All I have seen for sale are large jars.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Many brands of Kaya are available off the shelf at major Asain supermarkets at Asian neighborhoods at major cities in the US.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
https://www.amazon.com/Kaya-Coconut-...6184359&sr=1-5
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At that price I wonder how many do they see each year? That is a $2-3 item in the stores stateside.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by tentseller
At that price I wonder how many do they see each year? That is a $2-3 item in the stores stateside.
Heh, I didn't even look at the price. Whoops.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Heh, I didn't even look at the price. Whoops.
And the shipping? OMG
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Thanks, folks. We have a few decent asian markets in Atlanta, so I'm going to trust my good fortune and abandon trying to bring some home from here.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by angra
Thanks, folks. We have a few decent asian markets in Atlanta, so I'm going to trust my good fortune and abandon trying to bring some home from here.
AND: Due to the cost of retail facilities in Singapore and Hong Kong, the goods are actually cheaper in Asia supermarkets in US and Canada.
​​
Old Sep 24, 2017, 11:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
There are certainly Kaya spreads sold in Asian supermarkets in N. America, but the taste can differ. In Singapore, 'Ya Kun', 'Killiney' are famous coffee shop chains that sells their own Kaya toast bottled for tourists. Personally, I have bought them as gifts for family before on checked-in luggage and I believe SingPost could offer shipping overseas. The taste differs quite a bit from those found in the Asian grocery stores so give it a try at their coffee shops while in Singapore first to see if you like them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.