FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Pocket Wifi for Singapore + Indonesia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1858538-pocket-wifi-singapore-indonesia.html)

SQ007 Aug 3, 2017 10:44 am

Pocket Wifi for Singapore + Indonesia

Greetings! I have a long stopover in Singapore before heading out to Bali, and I am in need of a pocket wifi in both countries (prefer to forgo the SIM option). So far the only option I see for pickup at Changi is Changi Recommends, but for the life of me I do not see an option to rent a pocket wifi that can be used both in Singapore and Bali, let alone Singapore by itself. Is Changi Recommends only limited to countries outside of Singapore? If so, are there any other rental places inside the airport for use in Singapore? If not, I will be staying at Marriott Tang Plaza on Orchard Road and would love to hear some recommendations on where to rent.

glennaa11 Aug 3, 2017 1:27 pm

I was going to suggest that KeepGo offers a mobile wifi device but their Asia coverage is poor compared to their European coverage. So it looks like they have Singapore but not Indonesia.

You might want to take a look at something like Flexiroam which is an overlay that you put on your existing SIM card. WHen you are traveling you activate their app use their chip to get network access. And at home you just use your home network and SIM. So you don't have to remove and insert SIMs.

Just saw an ad for this thing called Teppy. A little expensive at $9/day

SQTraveller Aug 9, 2017 6:44 am

Originally Posted by glennaa11 (Post 28644431)
I was going to suggest that KeepGo offers a mobile wifi device but their Asia coverage is poor compared to their European coverage. So it looks like they have Singapore but not Indonesia.

You might want to take a look at something like Flexiroam which is an overlay that you put on your existing SIM card. WHen you are traveling you activate their app use their chip to get network access. And at home you just use your home network and SIM. So you don't have to remove and insert SIMs.

Thanks for this advice. I've been looking at the Changi wifi router. What is your opinion on this?

SQ007 Sep 19, 2017 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11 (Post 28644431)

Sorry just saw this now. Still getting used to this site and am not sure if there is a way to see notifications for responses. lol. Anyways thanks for the advice!

sailor279 Sep 21, 2017 11:25 am

I just passed through SIN and was about to rent a wifi hotspot for the time I was there. The Changi Recommends rental is by day and not for 24 hour period -- so I would have had to pay for 2 days, even though I would use for less than 24 hours. I opted to stick with the slow (3G) but totally usable and unlim data service I get through Sprint.