Search

Westin Singapore vs Mandarin Oriental

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Westin Singapore vs Mandarin Oriental

Hey all --

Subject about says it -- what are opinions on these two hotels? I know the Westin is new, and I usually collect Starpoints, but with our corporate rate through work, the Mandarin Oriental actually ends up almost $50 cheaper per night. I'm thinking that's almost certainly the better deal, and probably the nicer hotel, but wanted to check with the experts!
Old Jun 12, 2017, 6:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Where will your activities in Singapore be located?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:19 pm

Are you in Singapore for work or leisure. If for leisure, MO is definitely in the better location.

If work, is your offces within the Raffles Place area or the Suntec/City Hall area. If the former, the Westin is better located, if the latter, the MO is better.

If you are going to spend the weekend in Singapore, just note that Raffles Place (Westin) can be quite dead over the weekends without the business crowd.

MO has views of the city skyline while Westin has views of the bay area.

MO is an older but very maintained hotel. I have seen nicer MO elsewhere in Asia (Tokyo, Taipei), but this one doesn't do too badly.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver
Primarily I'll be there for work, but I'll have a 3 day weekend there as well. My office is "in the middle of nowhere" out near Alexandra Hospital and Hort Park, so with either hotel location I'll be cabbing it, so I don't think that's determinative.

It sounds like for leisure and evening activities, MO is better located? It looks like normally MO is quite a bit more expensive than the Westin, so I feel like getting MO for 50 USD less per night than Westin is probably a steal?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by Azmordean
Primarily I'll be there for work, but I'll have a 3 day weekend there as well. My office is "in the middle of nowhere" out near Alexandra Hospital and Hort Park, so with either hotel location I'll be cabbing it, so I don't think that's determinative.

It sounds like for leisure and evening activities, MO is better located? It looks like normally MO is quite a bit more expensive than the Westin, so I feel like getting MO for 50 USD less per night than Westin is probably a steal?
MO is very nice and you might even be able to upgrade your discounted corporate rate to the club level also.

some pics from my stay a few years back.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26906805-post2.html

As another notes, MO in Taipei is the best one I have stayed at but this would slot somewhere between HKG and LMO in HKG but the pool is the best of the MO in Taipei, Macau or HKG since the LMO pool is indoor and small and same is the regular MO in HKG.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
In my view, the only thing the MO has going for it is very easy walking distance to the Makansutra Glutton's Bay hawker centre. touristy and small, but great views and decent grub.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 6:57 am

MO for sure. Westin is currently in the middle of CBD, i.e. nothing to do. It's near the food venue, Lau Pa Sat, which must have some of the worst food in Singapore.

MO is closer to Suntec convention centre which has a lot more of offer.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Stayed at the Westin in March - good room, modern and clean. SQTraveller's comments are accurate RE: food.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Azmordean

I'm pretty sure I know where you work. Sent you a PM to connect.

Not sure if this is too late as the earlier posts didn't mention timeframe for travel - though I'm guessing it was either end-June or early-Sep (based on timing of local 3-day weekends). On the off-chance this isn't too late:

Just looking at the hotel and its rooms, the MO is considerably fancier, even though it's older. It's a little easier to get to the local train station from there to explore the rest of the city, and there's more shopping etc. around the MO.

The Westin is a little closer to some of the best local restaurants and nightspots (and some great hidden gems) in the Telok Ayer/Ann Siang area, but that's only relevant if you 1) are interested in that sort of thing and 2) know where to find them.

If you're not an SPG loyalist and either have or are trying to earn Platinum status with SPG, most people would probably just go with the MO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.