Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Dear Flyertalk: I'm in Singapore. What's off the beaten path?

Dear Flyertalk: I'm in Singapore. What's off the beaten path?

Old Jun 1, 2017, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
Mint Museum of Toys behind Raffles Hotel

Get some custom tailoring done to suit your own design aesthetic

Cheap eyewear for sale, if you already have a prescription

Check out HDB housing as suggested. Hit a wet market/hawker center to see how locals shop & eat. Bukit Merah View is very "local." However, Peoples' Park Eating Centre in Chinatown has much better food and food selection

Find a local drink stand in a local hawker center and ask the "uncles" loitering about to recommend favorite foods. Sure to get a lively discussion started.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Betel Box Tours hosts a walking tour that takes you through an HDB out in Joo Chiat and around some great local restaurants. I went on this tour a year ago and thought the guide was fantastic, covering lots of information about daily life in Singapore.

http://www.betelboxtours.com/tour-de...tong-food-walk
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I'm here now, and I've made one of my off-the-beaten maps for future generations of flyertalkers. It's editable, so feel free to add things in the future.

A huge thanks to @invisible for a fantastic tour this weekend!
glennaa11 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:21 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by dordal
I'm here now, and I've made one of my off-the-beaten maps for future generations of flyertalkers. It's editable, so feel free to add things in the future.

A huge thanks to @invisible for a fantastic tour this weekend!
Dude, you are welcome.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by txflyer77
Betel Box Tours hosts a walking tour that takes you through an HDB out in Joo Chiat and around some great local restaurants. I went on this tour a year ago and thought the guide was fantastic, covering lots of information about daily life in Singapore.

http://www.betelboxtours.com/tour-de...tong-food-walk
For $80 per person? Give me a break!
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:17 am

Programs: most of them
The Smart Local is a good source for things to see and do as well.

Here's one of their recent posts
Queenstown walk

and another
52 Things to Do in Singapore Before You Die has more local expereinces

Last edited by glennaa11; Jun 6, 2017 at 7:01 am
Old Jul 2, 2017, 5:36 am

Thanks to those who suggested the URA City Gallery and the Pinnacle--enjoyed both over the weekend!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: SQ KF *S, TG ROP *P
Sorry I am late in this ....

Off the beaten path,

Try Pulau Ubin on a bicycle
Also make a trip to St John's Island and Sisters Island, there are regular ferry service from Marina South
Rent a bicycle and trace the Singapore River
Rent a Bicycle and trace the Kallang River from source at Lower Pirece Reservoir to the Barrage

Old Jul 8, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I stumbled across this place, but they have a really cool exhibition on design in Singapore (and its free!)

https://www.designsingapore.org/nati...-design-centre

Go through the main entry, and up to the second floor to find the expo. Not terribly well signed, but it's there.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:14 pm

Went to Pinnacle@Duxton last evening. Very worthwhile despite the grey skies. The guy at the management office isn't the friendliest person in the world either. Only a few other people up there.

Another interesting spot to visit is the new-ish Indian Heritage Centre. It has some nice exhibits about the history of South Asians in Singapore. It's in Little India near the MRT station of the same name. http://indianheritage.org.sg/en

Finally made it out to the Botanic Gardens this morning. Quite nice, but a bit steamy even relatively early.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 6:00 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Finally made it out to the Botanic Gardens this morning. Quite nice, but a bit steamy even relatively early.
One thing one can't (and should not expect) to fix in Singapore is weather and humidity. But after 6 month living here you are fine.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 6:41 am

yes, indeed. I was in a mall today and noticed that the UNIQLO is bursting with their "heatgear", parkas and all sorts of heavy coats. I can't figure out who they're planning to sell all of this stuff to. Seems like corporate HQ didn't realize exactly where Singapore is or what the climate is like.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:56 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by glennaa11
yes, indeed. I was in a mall today and noticed that the UNIQLO is bursting with their "heatgear", parkas and all sorts of heavy coats. I can't figure out who they're planning to sell all of this stuff to. Seems like corporate HQ didn't realize exactly where Singapore is or what the climate is like.
Where do you think Singaporeans who are going to go to Japan or Korea in the winter and go skiing are going to buy their clothes?
Old Nov 16, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Ha - we said the SAME thing about Uniqlo in Singapore. And then my husband bought a pair of insulated pants because he had extra Singapore $ he preferred to spend instead of exchanging ;-)

(at the same time - I was trying to find a wicking shirt for myself because I'd forgotten to pack mine and we were at the beginning of our trip - and everything was way warmer than I wanted...Ah well)
Old Nov 16, 2017, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Where do you think Singaporeans who are going to go to Japan or Korea in the winter and go skiing are going to buy their clothes?
Plus NZ in winter and summer too...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.