Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Taxis & left luggage at SIN - how big are they & hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi all,

I've only been to SIN once and it was about 10 years ago & I barely remember it.

I'll be relocating to SYD & on the way, I have to 3 nights in SIN to meet my future boss as he lives there.

I'll be traveling with a 22" roll-aboard, a laptop bag, and 4 large checked bags & will be traveling solo. The large checked bags are one large Samsonite suitcase, 2 large roller garment bags, and one oversized duffel bag.

I arrive at midnight off of a CX flight from HKG and I will depart 3 days later on a 6am flight on MH to KUL-SYD.

Given the hours, I'm debating if

1) I should use the left luggage storage facilities at SIN - will I be able to drop off at past midnight? and will I be able to pick up around 3am-ish on the return?

OR

2) If I should just take all my luggage to the hotel with me and back to the airport (which is what I'm leaning towards as I think it'll be easier to do it that way with the skycaps & bellman, etc, than it would be to lug it all through the terminals at those hours.

AND

If i do #2 & keep my bags with me - would a standard taxi fit all that stuff or would it be best to book some sort of advance transportaton. If taxis are anything like I'm expecting, they are probably quite small.

Thanks in advance for any insights!
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Left luggage is 24/7 operation at SIN.

However, with your description of what you will have I would definitely go taxi to hotel with them. Hotel beelmen is great help and SIN has complimentary luggage carts.
The left luggage counters are not at the arrival hall or departure hall so getting there would be a problem for your luggages.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks!

is a standard taxi big enough to accommodate that luggage? I imagine with the trunk & the seats, it should be fine.

Also, maybe a dumb question - but what is the tipping protocol? In the US, I usually do $2/bag to bellman. Same in SIN? Thanks
Old Jan 4, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
Thanks!

is a standard taxi big enough to accommodate that luggage? I imagine with the trunk & the seats, it should be fine.

Also, maybe a dumb question - but what is the tipping protocol? In the US, I usually do $2/bag to bellman. Same in SIN? Thanks
No tipping. Not expected and not encouraged. Neither for taxi nor for bellman.

Regarding transportation to/from the airport. It might happen that 'standard' taxi driver will refuse to put suitcase at back seat. You choices in this case are:

- wait for another taxi, where driver is cooperative
- get bigger car, like Chrysler or Mercedes

Regarding second option, at SIN taxi line they might tell you too that you have to take Maxicab with your suitcases. That is a van and will cost $75 one way.

Alternatively you can just call Uber and I'm sure will have all your suitcases fit in.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the input - is Uber better priced than taxis there?
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:26 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Yesterday I and my wife took UberPool from changi to our place (25km) for $10, we shared the ride with very nice SQ's FA. in your case you will have number of suitcases so UberPool won't apply but you are still better with UberX than with taxis.

Uber from Changi is generally cheaper than taxi for couple of reasons:
- Taxis charge $5 departure fee (in addition to $3.20-$5 booking fee), Uber charges $1.5
- After midnight taxis add 50% surcharge. Uber does not do it.

I switching to Uber when leaving Change two years ago and never since had taxi taken from there. The only case when Uber might end up costing more is when you get stuck in traffic. In this case taxis are cheaper.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Generally, yes, as long as there's no surge pricing.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:26 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
As another poster commented, assuming no surge it is cheaper. And at the airport it's generally OK.
With your gear, just go for a uberXL and that will more than adequately fit your stuff. If you're from HK, then you would know the Toyota Wish/Honda Stream - that's the size of the vehicle you'd get and they can easy fold over the seats if needed.
Uber pick up is easy as there is an auto-location prompt that pops up.

Regarding tipping, I have lived in SIN all my life and I do tip the doormen something when they drop off the stuff at the room. It's not required, but they appreciate it. Generally for me, S$5-10 is more than enough (and that is irrespective of how much they are carrying).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.