FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   Best Economy Product From USA? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1801984-best-economy-product-usa.html)

jchurnit7 Nov 12, 2016 2:59 pm

Best Economy Product From USA?

Hello all,

I am flying from ATL to either an American or European hub to fly to SIN in January. I know it is pretty broad, but for the longer flights, whose economy is the best in your experience? I have a third-party paying for the flight, so my reasonably limit is around 1600USD, so not likely to include premium economy. Thought?

Thanks!

number_6 Nov 12, 2016 4:22 pm

AY is pretty good if you don't mind flying via HEL. Otherwise stick with SQ. There isn't much difference between Y products and there is a reason that Y+ was created. If you have FF status then that might determine choice of airline (but you don't show any status).

flyingbubbles Nov 12, 2016 7:05 pm

Think there are still some differences in Y if you consider quality of IFE, meals & snacks, sometimes luggage allowance.
Perhaps consider, as mentioned above, FF status, if any... But also, the number of stops and total travel duration.

To fly SQ you'd have make your way to one of the cities that they serve in the US. The only one that flies nonstop to Singapore if I'm not wrong, may be from SFO.
Alternatively, some other airlines might be able to get you to SIN with a single stop (e.g. BA, KL, AF, LH, KE, QR).

Firemansam Nov 12, 2016 9:34 pm

Emirates A380 is very good, food generally good and IFE is the best, otherwise SQ all the way.

stevendorechester Nov 12, 2016 10:07 pm

You might want to consider China Airlines. Don' t know if they fly from Atlanta but from JFK they sometimes offer flights in PREMIUM ECONOMY for under 1500 USD. I booked something for SIN last summer for travel in Jan for less than that. Best part is that the short-haul ( intra-Asia portions ) will be in business class if " D" is avail. Good luck!

jchurnit7 Nov 13, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks for the input so far. Unfortunately, no status after flying almost all last year on miles. One thing is that the price for Delta Comfort is about the same as flying on SQ. No China Air or Finnair (crazy expensive), but I am still hunting...

SQ319 Nov 13, 2016 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by jchurnit7 (Post 27474326)
Thanks for the input so far. Unfortunately, no status after flying almost all last year on miles. One thing is that the price for Delta Comfort is about the same as flying on SQ. No China Air or Finnair (crazy expensive), but I am still hunting...

Even if no status, are you looking to bank your miles with a certain FFP? ATL-SIN is quite far and quite a decent amount of miles that you shouldn't let it go to waste.

So maybe you want to be more strategic and look at where you want to be spending most of your (or whoever who is paying for your ticket) $$ flying a particular airline/alliance to make full use of the accummulated miles over the next year or two.

jchurnit7 Nov 14, 2016 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by SQ319 (Post 27476115)
Even if no status, are you looking to bank your miles with a certain FFP? ATL-SIN is quite far and quite a decent amount of miles that you shouldn't let it go to waste.

So maybe you want to be more strategic and look at where you want to be spending most of your (or whoever who is paying for your ticket) $$ flying a particular airline/alliance to make full use of the accumulated miles over the next year or two.

You are totally right, but I am hit by the fact that all the US carriers now have these dollar spend requirements that trip up my plans, especially as they often heavily discount foreign codeshares for that threshold. In the end, I am going with Delta, as I can get Comfort+ for less than regular economy anywhere else.

Thanks!

JHattery Nov 16, 2016 4:29 pm

SQ frequently offers deals to Krisflyer members. Economy r/t fares from EWR/IAH/LAX/SFO with various stops.

I'd take SQ back of the bus any day.

Mike Jacoubowsky Nov 19, 2016 1:22 am

I'm a UA1/UA2 sruvivor...

Got back last week from a trip through Australia and Cambodia, outbound began on UA1 SFO-SIN, return finished on UA2 SIN-SFO.

787 and surprisingly tolerable, although I was in E+. Packed flight both directions. Food is pretty sad, but the service wasn't bad. The long flight was the first that hasn't left me with a dry throat at the end, probably due to the 787s higher cabin pressure and humidity.

SQ is flying the A350 on that route, a plane I haven't flown yet nor heard how it compares. I did fly SQ C product SIN-BNE; it was an older A330 with angle-flat seats that left something to be desired, but service was certainly exceptional.

The other choice isn't the airline but the routing. Do you want the 16 hours out (14 back) non-stop SFO-SIN, or break it up a bit and fly via NRT? I have no familiarity with routing via Europe to SIN.

quantumofforce Dec 9, 2016 11:40 am

Originally Posted by jchurnit7 (Post 27480014)
You are totally right, but I am hit by the fact that all the US carriers now have these dollar spend requirements that trip up my plans, especially as they often heavily discount foreign codeshares for that threshold. In the end, I am going with Delta, as I can get Comfort+ for less than regular economy anywhere else.

Thanks!

If you book through AC, your dollar spend limit is half of normal as a non-Canadian resident (assuming you live in ATL). Also, if you get 50K miles you can get *G status and use all North American United Clubs when flying *A. You get basic perks on United as *A and UA miles accumulate nicely on AC. Also, from ATL you can fly to YVR and onward to Asia, or to YUL/YYZ if you ever need to head to Europe.