Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Regarding AirBnB in Singapore

FYI. Be careful:

Old Oct 2, 2016, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by invisible
FYI. Be careful:

The article doesn't state AirBnB is illegal in Singapore, simply that it wasn't allowed in this specific building. Short term rentals can be regulated by most home-owners associations in many countries and they can ban any rentals.

That doesn't mean it's illegal, it's a civil matter between your host and the building complex.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by theddo
That doesn't mean it's illegal, it's a civil matter between your host and the building complex.
If you are a guest, does it matter what is the matter between host and whoever if you end up spending night at street?
Old Oct 2, 2016, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by invisible
If you are a guest, does it matter what is the matter between host and whoever if you end up spending night at street?
I can leave the street and go to a hotel. I cannot leave a cell and go to a hotel. I can have my insurance and AirBnB pay for my hotel, I doubt they will pay my fines or reimburse me for any time spent in a cell or at a police station.

So yes, there is quite a significant difference between "illegal" and "not allowed by building rule".
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:21 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by SQ319; Aug 17, 2017 at 7:07 pm
Old Oct 3, 2016, 2:30 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by theddo
So yes, there is quite a significant difference between "illegal" and "not allowed by building rule".
The article doesn't say it, but AirBnB IS illegal. The 'culprit' is the host / property owner, not the tenant though.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ring-offerings "Under current rules, private home-owners who lease their units for less than six months can be fined up to $200,000 and jailed for up to a year."

Having said that, enforcement is ... non-existent? I don't recall ever encountering anybody getting fined or jailed for hosting an AirBnB ...
Old Oct 3, 2016, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by shuigao
The article doesn't say it, but AirBnB IS illegal. The 'culprit' is the host / property owner, not the tenant though.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...ring-offerings "Under current rules, private home-owners who lease their units for less than six months can be fined up to $200,000 and jailed for up to a year."

Having said that, enforcement is ... non-existent? I don't recall ever encountering anybody getting fined or jailed for hosting an AirBnB ...
That's the type of information I was expecting from the article.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao
http://www.homeanddecor.com.sg/artic...gn=ma_outbrain
Old Aug 18, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: most of them
I think Airbnb bears a responsibility to not list properties in jurisdictions where it is illegal. For sure it is probably difficult to keep track of that but they're a big corporation.

I used it for the first time in Seoul a few months ago and generally had a positive experience. And I am using it in Europe in a couple of weeks, however recently my "host" in Berlin canceled my booking and said she was no longer going to be a host. My guess is that her condo building probably decided that they weren't going to allow short term rentals (just as the building where I live has done). Customer service from Airbnb after the cancellation was rather lacking.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 11:54 am

In Berlin renting short term apartment is not allowed as it creates demand and pushes long term rental prices higher.
In Singapore there is no income tax for short rentals but maybe they ban it for the same reason

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.