Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore to Malacca

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2016, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Singapore to Malacca

Hi,

I'm looking into visiting Malacca from Singapore on my next holiday (2 nights in each place).

I've been looking at the bus options. Can anyone recommend a company, or are they are all quite similar?
Also, I need to catch a flight at 4pm from Changi.What time should I leave Malacca? I don't want to risk missing my plane, but I only have hand luggage and will check in online. I was thinking 9am would be OK?

What should I do about money. I was thinking of getting SGD, and then selling them for Ringitt in Malacca. Is this a good way?
My bank charges high ATM fees, so I don't really want to withdraw small amounts.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by TravelDream
Hi,

I'm looking into visiting Malacca from Singapore on my next holiday (2 nights in each place).

I've been looking at the bus options. Can anyone recommend a company, or are they are all quite similar?
Also, I need to catch a flight at 4pm from Changi. What time should I leave Malacca? I don't want to risk missing my plane, but I only have hand luggage and will check in online. I was thinking 9am would be OK?

What should I do about money. I was thinking of getting SGD, and then selling them for Ringitt in Malacca. Is this a good way?
My bank charges high ATM fees, so I don't really want to withdraw small amounts.
All the bus companies are quite similar, but my personal preference is to go with Luxury Tours because the buses stop at Orchard Road.

When are you travelling? If you are travelling in December, or early next year, I would suggest to book ahead as many people will be travelling to/from home during the festive period.

Re time back to Singapore. Just a thought, would you consider travelling to Malacca for 2 nights first upon touch down, then another 2 nights in Singapore, rather than the other way round?? 9am is a little too late imo for your 4pm flight, and you won't know when there will be a jam or an accident which will delay the journey time. If you head straight up to Malacca after touch down, it's another bus ride after a long journey, but there's nothing to rush for...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:31 am
Original Poster

That seems very sensible, but sadly I need to stay in Singapore when I first arrive because I'm meeting up with and staying with a friend. He goes on holiday himself for the final two days, so I need to go on those days. The dates are late in October, arriving back in Singapore on a weekday - hopefully at around 12 to 1pm.

I'll book a slightly earlier coach. There's one at 8.30. Do you think that'll be better?
Say (Conservatively) 13.30 in Singapore and then 45 mins to the airport getting there at 14.15. Sounds ample, but how much of a risk is it.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
That seems very sensible, but sadly I need to stay in Singapore when I first arrive because I'm meeting up with and staying with a friend. He goes on holiday himself for the final two days, so I need to go on those days. The dates are late in October, arriving back in Singapore on a weekday - hopefully at around 12 to 1pm.

I'll book a slightly earlier coach. There's one at 8.30. Do you think that'll be better?
Say (Conservatively) 13.30 in Singapore and then 45 mins to the airport getting there at 14.15. Sounds ample, but how much of a risk is it.
If the situation looks bad you can hop off the bus after the crossing and get a taxi to Changi instead of heading into the CBD.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:01 am

Your coach will most likely go via the 2nd Link. When there will be a jam/accident or not, that will be entirely up to the powers that be and out of your control. Just pray for a smooth crossing. If you arrive early, you can always just go for a lunch at the drop off point before heading to the airport.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
If the situation looks bad you can hop off the bus after the crossing and get a taxi to Changi instead of heading into the CBD.
If the coach goes via the 2nd Link (Tuas checkpoint), there is no taxi stand and no cabs waiting to pick up passengers at the checkpoint, so it would be better for u to take the coach to the first drop off point, and take a cab from there.

If the coach goes via the Woodlands Checkpoint (unlikely though), yes, there is a taxi stand at the checkpoint (just ask around if you decide to drop off there).
Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Right, so I've booked a coach with 707. I decided to book the 7.30am coach, as there's something I'd like to do at lunchtime in Singapore. There'd have to be a very big problem to miss my return flight.
The return bus says it stops of Woodlands, so that's an option if it's running really really late.

Does anyone have any advice for my other issue?
I only need a few Ringitt. Enough for two days and two nights (hotel pre-paid). What's the best way to get Ringitt? My ATM card charges quite high fees, so should I exchange a little SGD (or HKD) somewhere, or is the ATM the best choice?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:44 pm

Right, so I've booked a coach with 707. I decided to book the 7.30am coach, as there's something I'd like to do at lunchtime in Singapore. There'd have to be a very big problem to miss my return flight.
The return bus says it stops of Woodlands, so that's an option if it's running really really late.

Does anyone have any advice for my other issue?
I only need a few Ringitt. Enough for two days and two nights (hotel pre-paid). What's the best way to get Ringitt? My ATM card charges quite high fees, so should I exchange a little SGD (or HKD) somewhere, or is the ATM the best choice?
While in Singapore, you will also find a lot of money changers. The best rates are supposedly in Chinatown and in the Arcade in Raffles Place, but the difference is just a few cents. You can just compare the rates. The rates now are around SGD1:MYR3. If you don't get a chance to change earlier, you can just change at Golden Mile (I am assuming that's where you board the bus). Less hassle for you to find an ATM in Malacca.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 9:26 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
End of October, weekday, Causeway to Woodlands - you should be fine.
The only worry would be an accident on the highway - but that can't be predicted.

You booked 707 - the bus breaking down is also a possibility. They are not the best.
But at least you can be rest assured that you won't have any problems with a slow bus - their drivers are known to be part-time F1 drivers
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Just a quick update- the journey was fine. I got to the airport in plenty of time. Malacca was brilliant too.

Going to Malacca we used the second link which was deserted. Quite literally. There were far more agents on duty (twiddling their thumbs and looking bored as hell Singapore side, chatting and playing on their phones Malaysia side) than passengers.
I'm actually surprised 707 ran the bus as there were only four of us on-board. I thought we would have got to Malacca really quickly, but the traffic around the bus station meant we spent about thirty minutes going the last few miles.

Going back to Singapore we used the Woodlands crossing which was fairly busy. We had to wait on the bus for quite a long time at the Singapore checkpoint as quite a few passengers were caught up at passport control and customs, who were being very strict. I got questioned for about five minutes on why I was visiting Singapore (when I've never been asked a single question at Changi), and my passport was VERY carefully examined. Customs were conducting checks both before and after passport control too. Is this normal?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:34 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Is this normal?
On land and boat crossings - yes.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 1:50 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by invisible
On land and boat crossings - yes.
They seem to be a special breed on the coach and ferry side (not too bad on the cars side).

I was on a day trip by coach about 3 months ago and encountered a really ungrateful senior officer on the x-ray machine. Pi**ed me off enough that I sent a complaint note to the customs office. Was told that they had looked into the CCTV and counselled the officer concerned - and got an apology.

I've driven in by car probably 100 times or so in the past 20 years and never encountered any big issues. First time via coach and I have an issue.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
They seem to be a special breed on the coach and ferry side (not too bad on the cars side).

I've driven in by car probably 100 times or so in the past 20 years and never encountered any big issues. First time via coach and I have an issue.
I crossed Woodlands checkpoint about 30 times by foot last 4 years and never experienced any mistreatment. Even when they confiscated chewing gum at one of my first trip - they've been very polite.

Seems I will continue avoiding crossing the border by coach.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by invisible
I crossed Woodlands checkpoint about 30 times by foot last 4 years and never experienced any mistreatment. .
Is walking across the causeway allowed now? Are there clear footpaths approaching or leaving the JB immigration plaza?

I've also used the Woodlands checkpoints many times and I've never had a bad experience. There are occasional periods of strict enforcement (due to heightened threat intelligence?)
Old Nov 2, 2016, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by tide
Is walking across the causeway allowed now?
It always was, AFAIK.
Are there clear footpaths approaching or leaving the JB immigration plaza?
No.
There are occasional periods of strict enforcement (due to heightened threat intelligence?)
Nobody knows.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.