Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

UA1 to SQ255 (T3 to T2)- which transit hotel?

Old Sep 25, 16, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &

Flying into SIN on United, Terminal 3, 6:55am. Flying out on Singapore Airlines at Midnight, T2. Planning on checking into a transit hotel shortly after arrival. Should I choose T3 or T2? Separate tickets so I will have to check in with Singapore. Thanks!
Old Sep 25, 16, 6:26 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALLPlus Platinum (formerly known as Le Club AccorHotels), Hertz PC
You'll able to find the answer here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...sit-hotel.html

Changi is very easil navigated and with 17 hours between your flights I would say it all depends on your budget and preference.

Having said that, you may even want to consider a hotel in town as the distances are short and I doubt you'll be sleeping for 16 hours.
Old Sep 25, 16, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
Flying into SIN on United, Terminal 3, 6:55am. Flying out on Singapore Airlines at Midnight, T2. Planning on checking into a transit hotel shortly after arrival. Should I choose T3 or T2? Separate tickets so I will have to check in with Singapore. Thanks!
You may want to check with UA as they may be willing to interline and check your baggage through even on different PNR, then you may stay airside if you prefer.

The only transit hotel after customs and immigration is Crowne Plaza Changi, or you may consider going into town, since u have cleared CIQ. However, your flight times are such that you may need to book 2 nights (prebook for early arrival, and late check out).
Old Sep 25, 16, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by gilbertaue View Post
You'll able to find the answer here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singa...sit-hotel.html

Changi is very easil navigated and with 17 hours between your flights I would say it all depends on your budget and preference.

Having said that, you may even want to consider a hotel in town as the distances are short and I doubt you'll be sleeping for 16 hours.
Thanks, good thread!
Originally Posted by SQ319 View Post
You may want to check with UA as they may be willing to interline and check your baggage through even on different PNR, then you may stay airside if you prefer.

The only transit hotel after customs and immigration is Crowne Plaza Changi, or you may consider going into town, since u have cleared CIQ. However, your flight times are such that you may need to book 2 nights (prebook for early arrival, and late check out).
I'm hoping UA will do exactly that- check my baggage through. Both tickets issued by UA but different PNRs. What I'd like to do is crash 6-8 hours at the airport, then head out and see the town for a while, heading back to the airport around 10:30pm or so for our 12:45am flight. Actually a bit earlier since I'll want to take a shower before the flight, which I can apparently do at the SQ lounge (flying biz on Singapore).

If I do carry-on only, it's easy. Transit hotel at the same terminal I arrive. But if I have to check my baggage, it becomes more interesting-

A: If I can check the bags all the way through (SFO-SIN-BNE) then no problem, same as carry-on. But I probably won't know that until I check in at SFO. The rules may say no, but I've interlined bags on separate PNRs before without issue.

B: If I have to check baggage for the first flight and can't check it all the way through, then I need to head over to the other terminal to check it in there. Does Singapore allow you to check baggage 16 hours prior to flight?

Thanks-

Last edited by Mike Jacoubowsky; Sep 25, 16 at 10:52 pm
Old Sep 25, 16, 11:40 pm

B: If I have to check baggage for the first flight and can't check it all the way through, then I need to head over to the other terminal to check it in there. Does Singapore allow you to check baggage 16 hours prior to flight?
SQ check-in counters are open 24/7 and u can check in up to 48 hours in advance so no issues at all.

Upon arrival, u can crash straight at the transit hotel, then clear immigration and pick up your baggage at the lost baggage counter, then head up to the departure floor to check in your bags.

Although your flight departs from T3, you can also check in at the SQ counter at T2, then you won't need to lug your luggage from T2 to T3.
Old Sep 26, 16, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis

<snip>

Thanks-
No insult, but I thought I answered your question when originally asked in the UA forum?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post27236430
Old Sep 26, 16, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dsgtc0408 View Post
No insult, but I thought I answered your question when originally asked in the UA forum?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post27236430
I just went back and looked... yes, fantastic detailed response that I somehow missed!!! Must have had a senior moment. That became the norm, not really a moment, maybe at 35 or so?

I think I've got enough to be dangerous now though. It's really kinda nuts, combining Australia and Cambodia in one trip from the US. At least things simplified a bit when the 12:45am SIN-BNE flight opened up; the original was at 6:55am, which would have required an "actual" hotel night in Singapore, with very early wake-up. Now, I can rest a few hours upon arrival in Singapore (at a transit hotel), see a few things in Singapore, and then, hopefully, sleep on the 12:45am 8-hour flight.
Old Sep 26, 16, 2:25 pm

Location: Home:HKG formerly YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For longer layovers and trip into town it is more cost effective to get a real hotel.

I fins hotels in SG are use to odd hours request so I would look at their rates on a booking site and then email the hotel directly with your hours.
Old Sep 27, 16, 12:36 am

Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
We arrived from ZRH at 555 and left for SYD at 0045 - we did the Ambassador hotel - books in blocks of 6 hrs - so we did 12 hours - the time started from check in we had booked 6am till 1800 but they gave us 0630 till 1830 without asking - rooms are dark no windows air con and a really nice shower -

my partner then did not want to get all hot and sticky so we sat in the SQ lounge till flight time

but the transit hotels work well
Old Sep 27, 16, 12:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For these times, if you can't find a hotel that does 24 hour check in, a day rate might work pretty well as it would guarantee you a room from about 9am to 5pm. Hotels in Singapore seem good about giving at least lounge access if applicable plus pool/spa access after checkout but IME (based on a small sample) not so good about giving really late checkouts as upscale hotels in South America.
Old Oct 24, 16, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Great info! The reason I favor the Transit hotel is because we'll be arriving on a 17 hour flight from SFO, in coach. I am going to be in desperate need of a shower, and not sure about the laws in Singapore regarding Zombies.

I still have time to cancel the transit hotel reservation though. Just think it might be nice to get the sleep & shower thing out of the way quickly.

Here's another question- Can you do one of the free Singapore tours and *not* return to the airport? Meaning, take the tour and then do something afterward, perhaps visit a Hawker center and the night zoo?

Thanks-
Old Oct 27, 16, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA GS/1K, SQ SilverKris, DL MM-Silver
(N)ot sure about the laws in Singapore regarding Zombies.
So long as Zombies keep to the limits on number of cigarettes and bottles of beer/wine/booze you bring in, respect the modesty & decency of the fairer sex, and do not violate stringent drug laws, they are welcome.
Old Oct 30, 16, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Update on Singapore

Done with Singapore part 1 (part two in 10 days on the return).

The Transit Hotel seemed a bit less organized than my previous visit 5 or so years ago. Reservations are kept on paper and they seem to have a tough time figuring out that a booking.com reservation is in the booking.com folder and not in the expedia folder. The registration also seems to take a lot longer than you'd think. Still pleasant people at the front desk, and they rounded nicely so we actually had the room available for 6.5 hours at the 6 hour price.

The Free Singapore Tour... we did the City Sights tour. If you're going to do this tour, I'd highly recommend the later of the two options. It's only available if your flight is after 12:30am, but the earlier one (available for flights leaving after 11pm) leaves a lot to be desired because the Garden Bay area is a lot more impressive lit up at night than during that "gray" period in between day & night. I'll find the relevant thread and post more there.

Thanks-

Search this Thread