Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Salted Duck Egg Snacks - OK to bring to US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist

I can probably anticipate the answer, but am curious if anyone knows? Are these ridiculously tasty (and undoubtedly unhealthy) snacks OK to bring into the US? I usually don't bring anything home because I'm paranoid and assume most everything is not allowed. The most I've ever brought are chocolates and occasionally some cookies. I've heard of folks who have brought these snacks to the US but didn't know if that was allowed or they just managed to get through customs.

I figured it might be easier to ask in this forum than the borders/checkpoints forum as people here might actually be familiar with these snacks!
Old May 16, 2019, 9:16 pm

you need to declare them - customs will decide whether they are allowed or confiscated (no fine, just confiscated)

mooncakes with salted egg yolks are usually confiscated - I expect a similar state for salted egg chips

btw, changi airport has Irvins salted egg at every airside terminal. there's a line that forms just before they refill the stock (~6am, ~9am etc)
Old May 16, 2019, 10:15 pm
Original Poster

Ah - that's a bit of a bummer. I guess the whole thing seems so processed that I didn't think they would care, but alas, the eggs. I see that one can order from Amazon in the US
Old May 18, 2019, 1:11 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by paperwastage
you need to declare them - customs will decide whether they are allowed or confiscated (no fine, just confiscated)

mooncakes with salted egg yolks are usually confiscated - I expect a similar state for salted egg chips

btw, changi airport has Irvins salted egg at every airside terminal. there's a line that forms just before they refill the stock (~6am, ~9am etc)
I've wondered what Irvin's was selling, having seen them at Changi and elsewhere, but never worked up the motivation to find out. Will have to add to my to-do list next time I'm near one

FWIW, I've brought moon cakes with egg yolks into the US on several occasions and I admit it's never occurred to me they could be problematic... so this prompted me to dig further.

CBP says:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...--general-food

"The following are generally admissible if they are unopened and commercially packed. Many prepared foods that are unopened and commercially labeled are admissible (excluding meats and meat products). You may bring bakery items and most cheeses into the United States."

I'm assuming what you'd buy at the stand doesn't qualify as unopened/commercially packed, so that could be an issue.

CBP also refers the reader to this page:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/res.../travelers-int

Interestingly "To begin, please tell us where you are coming from" > Another Country > Dairy Products and Eggs > Eggs and Egg Products has a section specifically about moon cakes:

There are specific requirements for moon cakes entering in passenger baggage:

* Moon cakes that do not contain meat, egg or egg yolk may enter.
* Moon cakes containing egg or egg yolk that appear “thoroughly cooked throughout” are allowed.
* Moon cakes containing egg or egg yolk that do not appear “thoroughly cooked throughout” are not allowed.
* Moon cakes that contain meat are not allowed.
the ones I've had have always had egg or egg yolk that appear thoroughly cooked throughout although I don't recall ever being questioned about that specific point.

Higher up in that section is a warning generically about eggs and egg products:

USDA does not allow travelers to bring back most eggs or egg products from countries affected with certain serious poultry diseases:

* Highly pathogenic avian influenza
* Virulent Newcastle disease
To find out a country’s status for these diseases, visit our animal disease status page.
That link is broken, but the intended target appears to be

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...tus-of-regions

So if you enjoy reading, have at it otherwise I would echo the advice of simply declare what you have and they'll decide whether to confiscate it (in any case your experience on any particular day will have more to do with the officer's interpretation of the regs on that day and not necessarily what's written anyway) -- start with a small amount that you won't terribly mind forfeiting and if successful you can work up to larger quantities next time
OskiBear likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Zorak
Moon cakes containing egg or egg yolk that do not appear “thoroughly cooked throughout” are not allowed.
Which country makes moon cakes with half cooked runny egg yolks?
Old May 23, 2019, 10:59 pm

Programs: MP, BR
Originally Posted by shuigao
Which country makes moon cakes with half cooked runny egg yolks?
More like can anyone make a mooncake with a runny egg yolk inside? Lava mooncakes have been the rage in HK in recent years and I've told my US/Canada friends to explain to the customs that the "lava" is just sauce - like a lava chocolate cake, in case they ever get questioned by the customs.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chromie25
More like can anyone make a mooncake with a runny egg yolk inside? Lava mooncakes have been the rage in HK in recent years and I've told my US/Canada friends to explain to the customs that the "lava" is just sauce - like a lava chocolate cake, in case they ever get questioned by the customs.
I've never seen these. Is the "lava" supposed to approximate the taste of egg yolks? If so, that conjures up disturbing images of those Cadbury chocolate creme eggs...
Old May 24, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I've never seen these. Is the "lava" supposed to approximate the taste of egg yolks? If so, that conjures up disturbing images of those Cadbury chocolate creme eggs...
uTry.it: How to Make Salted Egg Yolk Lava Custard Mooncakes ??????:

it's not just pure chocolate sweetness or tastes like egg yolk... it's a combination of sweet, salty, butter and creaminess

outside of (pricey) mooncake(mid-autumn festival), you can find a similar product/taste in this cheap dim sum

The Informal Chef: Liu Sha Bao/Salted Egg Yolk Custard Bun ?????
Old May 24, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
uTry.it: How to Make Salted Egg Yolk Lava Custard Mooncakes ??????:

it's not just pure chocolate sweetness or tastes like egg yolk... it's a combination of sweet, salty, butter and creaminess

outside of (pricey) mooncake(mid-autumn festival), you can find a similar product/taste in this cheap dim sum

The Informal Chef: Liu Sha Bao/Salted Egg Yolk Custard Bun ?????
Ah! The custard bun I'm familiar with during dim sum. Thanks!!!
Old May 24, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by OskiBear
Ah! The custard bun I'm familiar with during dim sum. Thanks!!!
it's different from the regular custard bun

regular custard bun doesn't use salted egg, and it's not flowing
https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/cus...ilk-yolk-buns/
Old May 24, 2019, 4:08 pm

I have a mortal fear of losing my GE, so I always mark yes for food on the form (since I always have some kind of junk food or candy). When the agent asks what I am declaring, I just reply 'junk food and snacks.' I have never had a secondary screening and they have never asked to actually see the food, which has included these salted egg chips on numerous occasions. It is definitely a bit of a gray area, but I would not hesitate to at least try to bring them back, since the worst that can happen is that they will be thrown away as long as you declare them. The super popular Irvins Salted Chips tends to sell out fast all over Asia, but the duty free stores in SG also carry another brand that is always available for purchase that tastes just about the same.
Old May 24, 2019, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
CBP goes by the ingredients list on the packaging.

Salted duck eggs is specifically listed on the banned food list for CBP.

Mooncake with salted duck eggs has been confiscated. Irving uses salted duck eggs.

They are also more stringent at the west coast ports of entry.
Old May 24, 2019, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
For these dishes, chips or lava (flowing sand) cooked salted duck egg yolks are cook through (hard boiled) and the hardened yolk ground into a course powder. That powder and additional spices are tossed with freshly fried thick cut chips/crisps. Once you had this you would not settle for the prepackaged. This powder is also used in the "lava" filling.
It is also used in the dry or wet sauce of golden dust stirfry, mostly with crab, lobster or large prawns. If any of you encounter a Chinese restaurant that serves gold dust fried rice you must try it.

There are many other Asian pastries/dimsum besides mooncake or buns that this "lava" has made it's way into.

This latest trend made salted duck egg powder a easily obtained ingredient from shops and factories who sold salted duck eggs and solid slated duck egg yolks.

Last edited by tentseller; May 24, 2019 at 8:10 pm
Old Jun 10, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: A3 Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Amex Platinum
Will it be okay if I buy a few packs of salted duck egg fish skins and chips from the Irvins shop in T3 and bring it to Australia?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by antebellum
Will it be okay if I buy a few packs of salted duck egg fish skins and chips from the Irvins shop in T3 and bring it to Australia?
Same thing. Declare it to customs upon arrival

https://www.abf.gov.au/entering-and-...ou-bring-it-in

http://www.agriculture.gov.au/travel...almon-or-trout

Surprisingly, they may allow meat floss, mooncake with egg yolk, dried shelfstable fish (after a close inspection)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.