Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Meanwhile, talk about the 'Jewel' at Changi Airport

Meanwhile, talk about the 'Jewel' at Changi Airport

Old Apr 11, 19, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post

Was Shake Shack open ?
Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
I don't think it will start serving until the official Jewel opening 17 April. Videos/picture suggest it is currently staffed, but I suspect it's just training.
It looks like while other shops are up and running, shake shack is still only open to the media
A no-holds-barred review of Shake Shack’s menu in Jewel Changi Airport
Old Apr 11, 19, 9:38 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
Originally Posted by yosithezet View Post

Was Shake Shack open ?
it was open for invitation only yesterday , probably will open for public on the 17th
Old Apr 14, 19, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by sandyph View Post
it was open for invitation only yesterday , probably will open for public on the 17th
Yeah. It seems to only be open to friends and family for trials.
Old Apr 14, 19, 3:42 am

I went to Jewel over the weekend to see what all the fuss was about. Luckily I had scored my free ticket for the weekend which got booked out very early on.

The video is just a short sample of my experience there
Quick request: Would love it if you guys good like it and subscribe to my channel there. Thanks!

It was really really crazy busy but I'm guessing that it might be a bit calmer in the weeks to come as locals don't go crazy around the venue as they do around brand new places.

Some interesting things of note.
Pokemon is going crazy. I didn't add any photos/videos of it, but there was a totally crazy queue of people waiting to get into the Pokemon store
Most restaurants are up and running. While most outlets are serving, the big name - Shake Shack - is not. And there are a lot of options both as individual restaurants but also in the food courts.
A new Priority Pass lounge to come? It seems the Changi lounge that allows seamless connections between airport and the various cruise terminals will be a priority pass lounge.
The waterfall is impressive. I'm pretty sceptical when comes to these kinds of things, but I was actually really impressed by the waterfall. It is dramatic, and they managed to make it so that you don't get soaked when you are up close to it.
Coathanger, Zorak and voyageuse like this.
Old Apr 18, 19, 6:44 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Kopaja Platinum
Changi is that peculiar airport saying “why spend money downtown when you can get the best of the country right here?”

(ntm, there’s still that mrt spur line with which to contend)
Old Apr 18, 19, 11:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-MM
Unfortunately I missed the Jewel opening. Our flight was early in the morning Apr 16, so we knew we would have no chance of seeing it on arrival to airport so we initially considered heading there one evening to check things our.
Our taxi driver informed us that had we done that, we would have been turned away disappointed. He said that it's a brand new place for Singaporeans to visit so people are flocking there. Only people with tickets were allowed in. His family secured preview tickets for the weekend before opening and he said that traffic to the airport was congested, and the queues for some of the vendors were nuts, extending to almost 2 hours for the popular ones. Not every vendor was opened and he felt prices to be extremely high. That said, as they were visiting, he said his wife suggested that for their June vacation, they go early to the airport so they can revisit the Jewel!
When we got to the airport on Apr 16 (a day before official opening), there were signs that travellers must have a minimum of a 5 hour layover before considering a visit to see the Jewel.
Hopefully, the hype will die down by my next trip to SIN so I can visit the Jewel.
Old Apr 21, 19, 6:52 pm

Programs: KF Silver (lol)
My dad flew in from KL over the weekend just to visit Jewel and was somewhat disappointed (given the huge amount of hype).

Yes the architecture is amazing, and yes the waterfall and forest / garden is nice.
But aside from that, Jewel is just another mall with 90% the same restaurants and shops that you can find in any other large mall on the island.

btw I had a group of friends who queue'd for Shake Shack, and ended up with an almost 4 hour total wait from queue to food ...
Old Apr 22, 19, 11:45 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AS & AA GM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by shuigao View Post
btw I had a group of friends who queue'd for Shake Shack, and ended up with an almost 4 hour total wait from queue to food ...
Sounds standard for a new Shake Shack in the us too. Shame it's not worth the wait or the price.

Next time I am in Singapore I'll take a few extra minutes to see the jewel, but wouldn't go out of my way.
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Madone59 View Post
Sounds standard for a new Shake Shack in the us too. Shame it's not worth the wait or the price.

Next time I am in Singapore I'll take a few extra minutes to see the jewel, but wouldn't go out of my way.
Agreed. I ate at a Shake Shack in New York. It was decent, but I wouldn't say I was bowled over by it.

Had better burgers/fries at a cheaper price off the beaten track ....can't remember where but it was somewhere in California between SF and LA
Old Apr 26, 19, 1:11 pm

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
We had 5 hours from hotel checkout to departure, so we headed to Changi, checked in, had lunch and headed to check out the Jewel.

Architecturally it's beautiful, the waterfall and "forest" is top notch. But once you turn around, it's your run of the mill S'pore shopping mall. So after boggling the waterfall and having a hipster coffee (two very mediocre-minus beverages) we headed back to the terminal and airside.
Old May 1, 19, 10:34 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AA 2MM
Having spent several hours at Jewel on Monday afternoon, I can echo many of the comments above.

The center of Jewel is devoted to the waterfall and the forest around it, and both are definitely worth seeing. The heat index outside was 106, so being inside by the waterfall felt great. In the evening the waterfall was lit in a way that made it resemble the supertrees at night.

The perimeter of Jewel contains 5 floors devoted to shopping and eating. Much of what you see there is generic mall type stuff, but you can find some interesting things if you look. On the first floor, for example, I found a store specializing in interesting Singapore desserts, including duryan. They were small, tasty and fun. The very top floor is also quite pretty with something resembling "indoor al fresco" having the feel of nice sidewalk cafes even though you are indoors. The Tiger Lab was a very pleasant place to sit with a beer and decent noodles.

For a quick bite, going to a hawker center might be more fun, but if you have a long layover at Changi, Jewel is worth a try.
Old May 5, 19, 9:39 pm

Programs: Star Alliance
Was there yesterday after arriving at T1. Totally spent no more than 5 min to take photos of giant toilet bowl water flushdown while being there in addition to about couple of hundred thousand people.
Wait time at lifts could be 20 min, and why people line up for hours and more to eat overpriced junk food totally escapes me.
eagle215 likes this.
Old May 14, 19, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by SQTraveller View Post
I went to Jewel over the weekend to see what all the fuss was about. Luckily I had scored my free ticket for the weekend which got booked out very early on.

The video is just a short sample of my experience there
https://youtu.be/2Nyyw9APWr0
Quick request: Would love it if you guys good like it and subscribe to my channel there. Thanks!

It was really really crazy busy but I'm guessing that it might be a bit calmer in the weeks to come as locals don't go crazy around the venue as they do around brand new places.

Some interesting things of note.
Pokemon is going crazy. I didn't add any photos/videos of it, but there was a totally crazy queue of people waiting to get into the Pokemon store
Most restaurants are up and running. While most outlets are serving, the big name - Shake Shack - is not. And there are a lot of options both as individual restaurants but also in the food courts.
A new Priority Pass lounge to come? It seems the Changi lounge that allows seamless connections between airport and the various cruise terminals will be a priority pass lounge.
The waterfall is impressive. I'm pretty sceptical when comes to these kinds of things, but I was actually really impressed by the waterfall. It is dramatic, and they managed to make it so that you don't get soaked when you are up close to it.
Thank you for posting this! We are very much looking forward to visiting this new feature at Changi. A very special place that already had many wonderful public spaces & attractions, this add on is simply "over the top" wonderful!
Are the prices to visit the attractions in Jewel reasonable? Thank you for your first hand information. Best regards.
Old May 14, 19, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by voyageuse View Post
Thank you for posting this! We are very much looking forward to visiting this new feature at Changi. A very special place that already had many wonderful public spaces & attractions, this add on is simply "over the top" wonderful!
Are the prices to visit the attractions in Jewel reasonable? Thank you for your first hand information. Best regards.
When will you be visiting? A lot of canopy park (on level 5) will shut for a few weeks by the looks of things.

The main water vortex is free to see. I'm not sure about everything else I'm afraid
Old May 15, 19, 3:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance
Here is a good review of Jewel

https://milelion.com/2019/04/16/7-th...t-should-know/