Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Grand Prix Transfer Time

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2016, 11:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Singapore Grand Prix Transfer Time

So, a beautiful/unfortunate coincidence means that mrsvincent and I are in Singapore at the same time as the GP is on. You can tell that this isn't planned, as we fly out on the 0225 QR on the Sunday morning, before the race itself.

So I'm wondering how long it will take to get to the airport (by any means necessary) as the GP qualifying will be finishing around 22:00.

Also, what are the chances of catching the qualifying and then making our way to the airport? I reckon we can dump our luggage at SIN during the day at some point if necessary.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by mrvincent
So, a beautiful/unfortunate coincidence means that mrsvincent and I are in Singapore at the same time as the GP is on. You can tell that this isn't planned, as we fly out on the 0225 QR on the Sunday morning, before the race itself.

So I'm wondering how long it will take to get to the airport (by any means necessary) as the GP qualifying will be finishing around 22:00.

Also, what are the chances of catching the qualifying and then making our way to the airport? I reckon we can dump our luggage at SIN during the day at some point if necessary.
You did not say where are you staying.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
You did not say where are you staying.
Will be in the Shangri La. But don't necessarily need to return there if we can make arrangements for luggage.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 7:27 am

Will be in the Shangri La. But don't necessarily need to return there if we can make arrangements for luggage.
Not directly affected by the event. Still, using MRT to move around would be the most efficient way.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:32 pm

I cannot be absolutely sure of the traffic in past years, but a taxi may not be feasible due to the high volume of people leaving at the same time if you're planning on watching the qualifying.

Then again, MRT is the safest option with a direct line down to the closest station Shangri-La is at (Promenade to Stevens station) where you may be able to catch a taxi back to the hotel.

If you're planning to leave your luggage at Changi and heading back to town, grab a taxi or take the train down to the airport immediately after the qualifying.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Like I say, it wasn't a deliberate choice to be there for the GP - just trying to work out whether to buy tickets or not.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:07 am

Since you're staying at the Shang, u will not be affected by the traffic much, as the fastest way to the airprot from Shang will bypass the town area completely (approx 30min).

I reckon if you want to catch the qualifying then flying off, it will be a bit of a rush, but u still can make it. You can leave just before qualifying ends to avoid the mad rush, take the MRT to Newton and cab back to Shang to collect your luggage and cab out to airport.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the last MRT in the evening to the airport leaves downtown around 11 pm. This assumes that you don't miss any connections on the MRT, although the last little leg to the airport should wait for the connection.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:45 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC the last MRT in the evening to the airport leaves downtown around 11 pm. This assumes that you don't miss any connections on the MRT, although the last little leg to the airport should wait for the connection.
BTW, currently there are works going on on two longest lines - green and red. Shangri-La is closes to Orchard (red line) so one needs to plan the journey carefully.

In other words, make sure that if you are going to Changi from Orchard, you should not get at Orchard station later than 10:45PM.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
BTW, currently there are works going on on two longest lines - green and red. Shangri-La is closes to Orchard (red line) so one needs to plan the journey carefully.

In other words, make sure that if you are going to Changi from Orchard, you should not get at Orchard station later than 10:45PM.
Just came back this this thread. Thanks for the update. I think that we'll do some GP related stuff Friday and then avoid the general area on Saturday to make our exit as smooth as possible.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA MM, Avis CHM
I think that we'll do some GP related stuff Friday and then avoid the general area on Saturday to make our exit as smooth as possible.
Regular visitor for the Singapore F1 GP here. Not to be too much of a motorsports enabler, but I do think you can see Saturday quali and get to the airport in time to check your baggage.

Seat location will matter: You'd want to be on either Padang A or Stamford grandstands (Map here), and access the track area via Gate 3. This is located right next to Raffles City shopping center and City Hall MRT station. *Not* adjusting for the flow of crowds after the race (but quali attendance is *much* lower than race itself, and I'd imagine most of the crowd will head to the included Bastille concert that immediately follows) you can certainly walk briskly from the grandstands to the train platform in 15 minutes.

Say quali ends 22:00, you're on MRT platform at 22:30, back at hotel 23:15, hail a taxi (the rest of the city functions quite normally during F1 weekend) and in SIN terminal 24:00. Generously timed, too.

Might it be slightly stressful? Sure. But as a motorsports enthusiast I'm a huge fan of SIN GP, partly because it's so incredibly easy to access, in an incredibly efficient city. You can do it!
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:06 am

FYI if you are taking public transport back to Shang (not necessarily during the F1 days, but just in general), taking a cab from Newton MRT back to Shang will be faster than a cab from Orchard, as foot traffic is much lower at Newton, (most likely) shorter cab queues and the cab will bypass the heavy traffic at the Scotts/Orchard intersection.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, guys. There's been an amazing development that has resulted in a change of plans. Or at least will result in a change of plans once I work out what we're going to do!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ot-travel.html
Old Sep 3, 2016, 12:12 am

Thanks, guys. There's been an amazing development that has resulted in a change of plans. Or at least will result in a change of plans once I work out what we're going to do!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qatar...ot-travel.html
Congrats! Understand your concerns to skip Singapore. I would buy insect repellent too and use it in Yangon too, as there are mosquitos there as well.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQ319
Congrats! Understand your concerns to skip Singapore. I would buy insect repellent too and use it in Yangon too, as there are mosquitos there as well.
Thanks. Mad rush to get anti-malarials changed, etc. We already knew to be careful for the malaria/dengue risk but now it has become that much more important.

Bought tickets for the practice 4 days before finding out!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.