Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore arrival screening

Singapore arrival screening

Old Jun 22, 16, 10:35 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 12
Singapore arrival screening

When you arrive into Singapore (Changi) are each and every bags (checked in or hand luggage) checked, or do they randomly pick out people whom they want to check? I am used to chewing tobacco and it is now going to be prohibited in Singapore from August. I wanted to know if I can take some or just leave it behind.
In case I take some proper chewing tobacco (not drugs) will they just confiscate it or send me to jail? Earlier they would levy duty on it.
Do advise so I can plan my trip accordingly. Thanks.
prerid is offline  
Old Jun 22, 16, 11:55 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Star Alliance
Posts: 5,377
Originally Posted by prerid View Post
When you arrive into Singapore (Changi) are each and every bags (checked in or hand luggage) checked, or do they randomly pick out people whom they want to check?
Latter
Originally Posted by prerid View Post
I am used to chewing tobacco and it is now going to be prohibited in Singapore from August. I wanted to know if I can take some or just leave it behind.
Send an email to the proper authority and ask about the regulations. You will get your answer.
invisible is offline  
Old Sep 17, 16, 2:47 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,624
Originally Posted by prerid View Post
When you arrive into Singapore (Changi) are each and every bags (checked in or hand luggage) checked, or do they randomly pick out people whom they want to check? I am used to chewing tobacco and it is now going to be prohibited in Singapore from August. I wanted to know if I can take some or just leave it behind.
In case I take some proper chewing tobacco (not drugs) will they just confiscate it or send me to jail? Earlier they would levy duty on it.
Do advise so I can plan my trip accordingly. Thanks.
I didn't know it was banned, but if it is, leave it at home.
SQTraveller is offline  
Old Sep 27, 16, 1:05 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sydney Australia
Programs: VA,GA, SQ, IHG, HH, Europcar
Posts: 1,484
Singapore is a great place to visit, it is very clean, has a VERY low crime rate, and everything works like clockwork.

The citizens all do military service.

It is rare to see a police officer or a customs offical while visiting Singapore, BUT believe you me they know whats going on.

So if you want to take something into Singapore that is illegal, expect to spend some time in a Singapore Jail.

If you need to travel with your chewbacca - my suggestion would be to leave it in the luggage storage area which is in each terminal for about $10 a day, drop it off before you go thru downstairs to arrivals processing, and collect it on departure before you go to the gate

Easy peasy
adampenrith is offline  
Old Sep 27, 16, 12:02 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Earth. Residency:HKG formerly:YYZ Business: ATL, PVG, PEK, CAN, SZX, MNL, SIN, KUL, BKK, SGN, CPT, UIO
Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Posts: 10,099
In Singapore, jail is one of the better punishment.
tentseller is offline  
Old Sep 27, 16, 10:28 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, GHA Black
Posts: 1,855
Originally Posted by prerid View Post
When you arrive into Singapore (Changi) are each and every bags (checked in or hand luggage) checked, or do they randomly pick out people whom they want to check.

In case I take some proper chewing tobacco (not drugs) will they just confiscate it or send me to jail? Earlier they would levy duty on it.
1st question: Random checks. From my dozens of flights I'd anecdotally estimate it as maybe 10-15% of the time, however YMMV.

Caveat -- Occasionally, flights are selected (for whatever reason) for arrival security screening, in which case all hand luggage is screened near the arrival gate. However I don't know if at this stage they screen for alcohol, tobacco, etc (I'd imagine they only screen for security threats but I'm just a random internet poster).

2nd question -- Extremely unlikely that you will be sent to jail assuming a reasonable quantity of chewing tobacco. Extremely likely that if you get caught, they will levy duties plus a significant fine.
shuigao is offline  
Old Sep 29, 16, 8:57 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Singapore
Programs: JL Sapphire | GE, TSA-Pre
Posts: 6,692
Originally Posted by adampenrith View Post
The citizens all do military service.
My last stint in the military service about 1-2 years ago was military patrol in the three terminals in Changi Airport. Of all my visits to the airport getting ready to depart to another leisure destination, that was the first time I went to the airport for 'work'.
lcpteck is offline  
Old Oct 1, 16, 11:33 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton-Dia, Marriott-G
Posts: 1,466
Question #1: I've been screened 4 out of the last 5 arrivals NRT-IAD on UA/NH that lands late at night. There are multiple flights arriving at the nearly the same time in same terminal so not sure if that's a factor.

Be prepared for bags to be checked. If I were you, I would bring your chew on your person, not bags. Nobody's going to jail for this. They will likely just confiscate if discovered, with a warning.
tide is offline  
Old Oct 1, 16, 12:43 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: sometimes SIN, sometimes JFK/LGA
Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Posts: 767
Originally Posted by tide View Post
Question #1: I've been screened 4 out of the last 5 arrivals NRT-IAD on UA/NH that lands late at night. There are multiple flights arriving at the nearly the same time in same terminal so not sure if that's a factor.

Be prepared for bags to be checked. If I were you, I would bring your chew on your person, not bags. Nobody's going to jail for this. They will likely just confiscate if discovered, with a warning.
(bold added)

Not quite. If during a search any tobacco products are found, there will be a substantial fine for failure to declare a restricted item (tobacco), as well as charges for excise taxes. There isn't an option to just walk away and allow confiscation. On the other hand, I think that upon payment of fines and taxes Customs will allow the tobacco to be brought in.

On the screening, it could be random, or it could be responding to a security alert. I've been on these UA/NH flights fairly often and am generally allowed to walk right through.
dsgtc0408 is offline  
Old Oct 3, 16, 1:34 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hilton-Dia, Marriott-G
Posts: 1,466
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408 View Post
(bold added)

Not quite. If during a search any tobacco products are found, there will be a substantial fine for failure to declare a restricted item (tobacco), as well as charges for excise taxes. There isn't an option to just walk away and allow confiscation. On the other hand, I think that upon payment of fines and taxes Customs will allow the tobacco to be brought in.
I was speaking from personal experience. Always interested in your own experience of course. Customs confiscated a vape pen (2016) from a bag that was scanned before exit. I was taken to a room and asked to sign a paper consenting to the confiscation but no fine was levied. In essence a warning.

YMMV of course but a real data point.
tide is offline  
Old Oct 3, 16, 11:46 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: sometimes SIN, sometimes JFK/LGA
Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Posts: 767
Originally Posted by tide View Post
I was speaking from personal experience. Always interested in your own experience of course. Customs confiscated a vape pen (2016) from a bag that was scanned before exit. I was taken to a room and asked to sign a paper consenting to the confiscation but no fine was levied. In essence a warning.

YMMV of course but a real data point.
I believe what happened is that e-cigarettes and associated equipment while physical tobacco is regulated (ie possession is okay, albeit at a high price). For anyone who has been caught once with vaping equipment, my guess is that if they do it again they will be looking at a fine in addition to confiscation.

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapor...es-sold-online
dsgtc0408 is offline  
Old Mar 25, 20, 2:46 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 1
SG Arrival Reference Arrival

I entered Singapore using SG Arrival online. Unfortunately, I didn't take note of the reference number. Is there anywhere I can retrieve the reference number?
Laysayzxc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: