Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore's MRT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Singapore's MRT

I recently wrote a short article on my blog called Guide to Singapore's MRT. This is supposed to be a brief introduction to how to use the MRT, and also work as feeder to some other posts I am intending to write. I'm sure there are better posts out there, but it's my little contribution

How you ask, do you get around Singapore? The often easiest and most comfortable way to get round cities in East Asia is by taxi. They are air conditioned, and are generally really really cheap. But the main reason one takes taxis, is because public transport sucks ... yes S.U.C.K.S.

However, in Singapore that is definitely not the case. You can still use taxis, but the buses and trains are very very convenient.

The M.R.T. or Mass Rapid Transit in Singapore really is a thing of beauty. And although it was not the first metro system in Asia (Manila has that honour), it is certainly the best I have experienced. But what, is the best?

Good connectivity -- bus stops are near the MRT stations.
Clean --- the trains and stations really are immaculate
Reliable --- although there are situation where the service breaks down they are generally few and far between.
Safe --- I am talking about for commuters, as opposed to for staff (as I don't work on the MRT it's difficult for me to say)
Not overcrowded ---- for those of you who live in Hong Kong and London, you know what I mean!
Mobile phones work --- both in the trains and the stations
Air con! --- Once you've spent a few hours in the heat wandering around sightseeing, it's amazing how nice air con feels!!
The MRT is generally an extremely well planned system. You will often find new stations appearing in the middle of nowhere, but actually this is where future communities are to be built up (or, whisper it quietly, the stations are where they thought communities would spring up but it didn't turn out that way)

The trains run from 5.30am to 1am the following day (excluding public holidays where the services are extended). There are 5 lines (with a sixth being built), each with their own colour code:

Circle Line

Downtown Line

East West Line

North South Line

North East Line

This is a map of the MRT as it currently stands (you will notice a couple of Light Rapid Transit Lines, which I am talking about in this post). You can see it covers a lot of the island, but not all of it, at the moment. There are plans to make sure people are within a short distance of a bus or MRT line over the coming decade.

As you can see the MRT line can take visitors all the way from Changi Airport to the centre of town in no time at all. In fact a lot of weekend trips (see my home page for my reports) away start with a little journey on the East West line to Changi.

Bear in mind that if you are coming or going from Changi Airport on the East West Line, the trains do not go all the way. You will need to get off at Tanah Merah station (2 stops from Changi), cross over the platform to get on the other train (depending which direction you are going). I suspect it's because there is insufficient demand from Changi into town.

The sixth line is the Thomson Line, whose first section is is due to be completed in 2019.

To travel on the MRT, you should buy and EZ Link card. You can get one at most of the ticket booths at the stations (I want to say all, but I'm not 100% certain). You can also get them at some TransitLink Ticket Offices and some Concession Card Replacement Offices as well as most 7-Elevens. You can't get it the automated ticketing machines.

Most of you will buy the card at the standard MRT station, so the price is $12 = $5 (card cost) and $7 (stored value). Now bear in mind that the card cost is non-refundable, yes you heard me right.

So for you visitors out there, if you are only in Singapore for a few days, a Singapore Tourist Pass might be the right thing for you. You can buy it on a 1, 2 or 3 day (max) basis, but it gives you unlimited travel on all buses, MRTs and LRTs for $10, $16, $20 respectively. There is also the Singapore Tourist Pass Plus, and this includes free admission to the Alive Museum for the price of $28, $34 and $38 for 1, 2 or 3 day passes respectively. For that price, it is worth taking the Singapore Tourist Pass Plus if you want to go to the Alive Museum (that costs $25 by itself).

Now, there is actually another option, which is to purchase a single fare. Now I don't like to advise this because if you are going to be travelling around Singapore, the costs can add up quickly and it's kinda inconvenient. You have to go back to the ticket machine every time.

#TopTip: In Singapore for a few days? Just get a Singapore Tourist Pass or Singapore Tourist Pass Plus.

For those of you guys who are here a bit longer, get yourself an EZ Link card. You can top it up at the station --- there are electronic ticket machines there. Just put your card on the reader, shove your money into the receptacle, and you're ready to head off. For those of you who are spending a bit longer here or even live in Singapore, you can also link your credit card to the EZ Link card --- this saves the hassle of going to the top up machine every time you need a top up. And can you imagine the problems if you are about to get on a bus, and the EZ Link is not topped up? [hint: in this case you can still pay with cash, it's just more expensive]

Taking the MRT is a doddle really. Just make sure you have your EZ Link card ready and to hand when you are about to enter or exist the gates. No one likes people who stand in front of the gate searching for their card. Just tap your card on the pad, and wait for the gates to open. As you walk though you can see how much balance is left on your card.

Nearly all stations have shared platforms --- that is to say that if you are going one way, and miss your stop, more often than not, you can just get out at the next station, cross across the platform and take the next train on that side of the platform. Note that this is not the case in every station so just be careful.

Where to go? With the advent of Google Maps it is so easy to navigate around a small country like Singapore. Just find your destination and then select your current location and it will give you the directions you need to take. It will give you the public transport arrangements that you need.

Pricing? It's based on the distances travelled between stations (or stops for buses). I guess this is a lot fare-r (see what I did there?) than the zone based system that somewhere like the London Underground uses.

As usual you can follow the globetrekka blog here.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:17 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Not overcrowded? That's rich.

Buying a single trip is irritating b/c of the deposit.

The airport doesn't have 24-hour public transit.

Signage in the underground shopping centres is rubbish (MRT collusion with the tenants, perhaps?).

Can't recall other issues now, but they do exist.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:55 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Not overcrowded? That's rich.
Depends on a station. At Eunos at 7:45AM on weekdays yes, there are people. At Haw Par Villa - there are not.

The airport doesn't have 24-hour public transit.
Should it? It would be reasonable objection if public transport in the city would be running 24/7, but it does not. Night basses should not be considered as standard public transport, especially for the faresh they charge. So just because it is airport you want MRT to run 24/7? I do not think you can win that argument.

Considering that you still have shuttle buses and Uber can take you from Changi to Jurong East for less than $30 - the situation is not that bad.

Signage in the underground shopping centres is rubbish (MRT collusion with the tenants, perhaps?).
Explain please.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA,BA
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
The M.R.T. or Mass Rapid Transit in Singapore really is a thing of beauty. And although it was not the first metro system in Asia (Manila has that honour), it is certainly the best I have experienced. But what, is the best?
I recently came back from Hong Kong and Singapore. IMHO, Hong Kong MTR gives Singapore MRT a run for its money. I was truly impressed by both, from the security, to the organization, to the signals, and, above all, ease of navigation.

#TopTip: In Singapore for a few days? Just get a Singapore Tourist Pass or Singapore Tourist Pass Plus.
Absolutely. Although, one thing that stood out for me was that the day count begins on the day you purchase. I purchased a 3-day pass thinking the last day would be the day of my eventual departure; as it turns out, I ended up buying a full day pass to cover for the fourth and final day of my stay.

Where to go? With the advent of Google Maps it is so easy to navigate around a small country like Singapore. Just find your destination and then select your current location and it will give you the directions you need to take. It will give you the public transport arrangements that you need.
When purchasing the Tourist Pass, one is usually handed a map of the MRT system. Add that to wifi available almost anywhere and navigation is plain easy.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Took the MRT around Singapore. Found it easy to navigate and staff helpful at the station.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:53 pm

I am Singaporean and I have been to HK a good number of times. I think the HK MTR system is superior. Singapore has some catching up to do.

Even our Transport Minister has recognized that HK's system is better than ours.
Old Apr 9, 2016, 10:32 pm

Well, word 'better' can be interpreted in multiple of ways. If one would count area coverage, than nothing compares to Tokyo, but a place which has 'women only' cars give some thoughts.

The only thing I wish MRT could have is later closing time. Especially now, when due to sleeper replacement number of stations close at 11:30PM. In my worldview, main transport arteries should operate at least till 1AM, but hey, in Tokyo trains stop running at midnight as well.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: most of them
Taipei has a very nice system as well
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by glennaa11
Taipei has a very nice system as well
There is no direct metro connection from the airport and the metro line extension has been delayed for number of times already.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:30 am

Singapore and Hong Kong have different ideas about how airport transportation should be. Hong Kong goes the way of Europe, having a dedicated rail line and charging a lot. Singapore just does a normal stop, requiring a transfer before heading into town (and providing no seats nor luggage racks), so it is really cheap (just regularly priced).
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Singapore and Hong Kong have different ideas about how airport transportation should be. Hong Kong goes the way of Europe, having a dedicated rail line and charging a lot. Singapore just does a normal stop, requiring a transfer before heading into town (and providing no seats nor luggage racks), so it is really cheap (just regularly priced).
Yes I am so glad that I can get home from the airport for $2!
Old Apr 14, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: most of them
Originally Posted by invisible
There is no direct metro connection from the airport and the metro line extension has been delayed for number of times already.
sure, but the system that is operating is very nice. Bright, clean, cheap, quick.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Hmmmm, not sure which I like better (HK vs Singapore). Would like to hear more about Taipei's. Don't really have enough experience with any to do a thorough comparison. Anyone want to step up? These would be my comparison variables, off the cuff:

- ease of accessing airport
- comfort & safety
- clear design, ease of use
- stops in most areas usually visited
- stops not too far apart
- broad service hours
- service frequency
Old Apr 14, 2016, 8:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
I'm just really surprised that the two newest lines (circle and downtown) were planned for only 3 cars. Surely that's rather short-term thinking?
Old Apr 14, 2016, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by shuigao
I'm just really surprised that the two newest lines (circle and downtown) were planned for only 3 cars. Surely that's rather short-term thinking?
Depends on how far away the thinking is. Even during rush hour you can get into these three cars and in couple of stops they will be empty. Contrary to that, try to get into car on 7:45AM on weekdays at Eunos or Bedok going towards the city. Quite a challenge.

Last edited by invisible; May 14, 2016 at 9:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.